BR Standard 4-6-2’s

• RMweb Gold

As I’m not sure of 71000 “Duke of Gloucester” wandering’s but there seems to be a few pictures of it in the early 60’s on Flickr either in London or Holyhead.  I was wondering, as you do when your bored ridged with being stuck at home, if there was a time where all three classes of BR Standard 4-6-2’s could be seen together regularly.

The obvious choice would be Carlisle but did Duke of Gloucester get that far north regularly?

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Spent most of it's short working life on the WCML to Glasgow. Regular on the Mid Day Scot.

https://www.dukeofgloucester.co.uk/?section=photographs&page=British+Rail+Service

Jason

So, in answer to the OP’s question - there was a chance all three classes could have been seen together anywhere on the WCML between Preston (the southern limit on that line of the Clans on the Glasgow to Liverpool/Manchester trains) and Glasgow. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I know that 71000 Duke of Gloucester was a Crewe North allocated engine and was used on the Mid Day Scot regularly, but was it used from start to finish on the WCML or did it swop engines at Crewe, then work through to Glasgow or Euston?

19 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I know that 71000 Duke of Gloucester was a Crewe North allocated engine and was used on the Mid Day Scot regularly, but was it used from start to finish on the WCML or did it swop engines at Crewe, then work through to Glasgow or Euston?

My thoughts too. I don't think it was usually seen on the WCML north of Weaver Jct.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I get the feeling that it certainly ran into London Euston on a regular basis but it seems that from 1960 onwards, it shy’d away from north of Crewe and was regularly seen at Holyhead.  I’ve got a Hornby Clan and I just would like to get a full fat version of Hornby’s Duke of Gloucester as well as a couple of Britannia’s.

Coming late to the party... I found a reference in some jottings of mine of a week's Railrover I did in North West England and North Wales back in 1962.

On Wednesday 18 July that year I went from Liverpool along the North Wales Coast Line via Crewe to Holyhead.    The trip left Crewe (09.20am) with a (12.58pm) arrival in Holyhead.  The trip was behind 71000 'Duke of Gloucester' with ten on.    

The return trip - again with ten on - was behind Royal Scot 46156 'The South Wales Borderer' ( A 6J Holyhead engine) to Llandudno Jct where LMS 2-6-2 tank 40137 headed down the branch to Llandudno.  The return trip from Llandudno to Crewe was behind Black 5 44986 - then a 6B Mold Junction engine.

So confirmation 'The Duke' ran the North Wales Coast line. (AM)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1