Pre-Grouping Coaching Stock

Apologies for spamming this place but I figured I best start a new thread now im looking to start modelling a few coaches for the new project im working on with the chaps at the ESMRC!

Ideally we want to produce a set of GNR and LBSCR coaches at 7mm for the new proposed layout! I love the idea of scratch building these as it presents a real challenge, and a great opportunity to try and push my modelling skills! And to get my noggin around painting coaching stock which seems scary enough! 

So having read Mike Trices cracking thread on painting teak , and nothing like diving in the Deep end I thought I would kick off with some Howlden GNR 6 wheel non passenger coaches, the first below here modelled up this week in the evenings, but not without the massive help of  JCL and Mike Trice who I can't thank enough for helping me with some of the obscure details, and pointing out some of the errors which im sure there are still more I need to fix. 

Though I am looking forward to doing  a few test prints at 4mm to prototype these carriages before attempting anything at a larger scale here! I also need to work out the underframe so have left off a few details because I have the feeling i may need some room underneath to get this six wheeler working on curves. Incidentally the wheels below are just for effect, I won't be printing those! Plus they are bit poorly modelled ;)

6_WHEELER-update7.jpg.eb472c6e0ac85289d9d00b16b96012ed.jpg

6_WHEELER-update8.jpg.a2143b0c2e52da9c9696555951583194.jpg6_WHEELER-update5a.jpg.b439a6080ac77255b7c4ba5cb09fd6f6.jpg6_WHEELER-update5.jpg.c61bb49991400751cc6ce057e203baed.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

14 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I'm very impressed.  Are details such as the handrails and grab handles part of the 3D print?  I would have thought they would be too vragile.

Thank you, yes the handrails and grab handles have been slightly oversized for printing, it will print finer, but i have found it looks a bit flimsy or floppy at 4mm, doing this at 7mm i can scale those elements down, which using the software is a simple value amendment and its good to go! 

I need to do some test prints next and chuck them up to show the results

• 1 month later...

Had a chance to work on some more coaching stock for these GNR Howlden 6 wheelers, hoping to get a few test prints cracked out next week once I have figured out the middle wheel mechanics! A few details still missing, especially with the cabling at the end of the Brake third which I need to get more details of.  The interiors need more detail in terms of the seating, so need to work this up, especially when these finally get printed in 7mm.

I also would like to add a composite to this rake, and perhaps some more non passenger stock vans. 

Brake third, Full Brake, and Third Carriage

GNR_HOWLDENS_06.jpg.442039b978e7592920914a3fe612cbbf.jpgGNR_HOWLDENS_07.jpg.0e71ced102217ba16394c0e8d32e557c.jpgGNR_HOWLDENS_05.jpg.4a84ba06aeec1949b1dc78641a4236b9.jpgGNR_HOWLDENS_04.jpg.e49940015b9650e19e31c30e2b11fbbb.jpgGNR_HOWLDENS_02.jpg.3b7ec7904798965497ca9a7026a0e6c6.jpgGNR_HOWLDENS_01.jpg.12e5a87954d6b815c4bc85260380ec42.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

Thanks chaps, yes going to look at the middle wheel next, after i have finished modelling the last coach, the cool thing about these carriages as @thegreenhowards mentioned to me, that they share a lot of sections between each carriage so can be quickly assembled from a kit of parts once you have modelled them!

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, woko said:

Had a chance to work on some more coaching stock for these GNR Howlden 6 wheelers, hoping to get a few test prints cracked out next week once I have figured out the middle wheel mechanics! A few details still missing, especially with the cabling at the end of the Brake third which I need to get more details of.  The interiors need more detail in terms of the seating, so need to work this up, especially when these finally get printed in 7mm.

I also would like to add a composite to this rake, and perhaps some more non passenger stock vans. 

Brake third, Full Brake, and Third Carriage

GNR_HOWLDENS_06.jpg.442039b978e7592920914a3fe612cbbf.jpgGNR_HOWLDENS_07.jpg.0e71ced102217ba16394c0e8d32e557c.jpgGNR_HOWLDENS_05.jpg.4a84ba06aeec1949b1dc78641a4236b9.jpgGNR_HOWLDENS_04.jpg.e49940015b9650e19e31c30e2b11fbbb.jpgGNR_HOWLDENS_02.jpg.3b7ec7904798965497ca9a7026a0e6c6.jpgGNR_HOWLDENS_01.jpg.12e5a87954d6b815c4bc85260380ec42.jpg

They look superb Rob,

I can’t wait to get my hands on one to paint up!

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
Typo
  • Like 1

Cheers @thegreenhowards yes im looking forward to having a go at teaking these! Seeing your stuff at the club is encouraging, plus reading @MikeTrice thread on painting teak im anxious to print these up and have a go! Albeit in 4mm to kick off with until they bring out a printer big enough to start handling these in 7mm, I imagine I would need to detail up the interiors more for the larger scale, as they where very plush inside looking at the drawings, even third class looks very smart! I will need to dig out marvellous designer to do the upholstery of the chairs I think!

A quick update including a GNR Composite coach with luggage compartments either end! I believe these where solid door types but can't be sure, they may have had glazing with bars in them, however I have checked the drawings that Mike kindly sent me, but can't see this exact carriage in there so have taken the details from a similar carriage, but if anyone knows if this is incorrect then please do shout! 

Cheers

Rob 

GNR_HOWLDENS_10.jpg.177df07efc30d24d9e31a84228abc353.jpgGNR_HOWLDENS_08.jpg.8c9fc88faa172c8bd8e1d2ead7bd97a8.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, woko said:

Cheers @thegreenhowards yes im looking forward to having a go at teaking these! Seeing your stuff at the club is encouraging, plus reading @MikeTrice thread on painting teak im anxious to print these up and have a go! Albeit in 4mm to kick off with until they bring out a printer big enough to start handling these in 7mm, I imagine I would need to detail up the interiors more for the larger scale, as they where very plush inside looking at the drawings, even third class looks very smart! I will need to dig out marvellous designer to do the upholstery of the chairs I think!

A quick update including a GNR Composite coach with luggage compartments either end! I believe these where solid door types but can't be sure, they may have had glazing with bars in them, however I have checked the drawings that Mike kindly sent me, but can't see this exact carriage in there so have taken the details from a similar carriage, but if anyone knows if this is incorrect then please do shout! 

Cheers

Rob 

GNR_HOWLDENS_10.jpg.177df07efc30d24d9e31a84228abc353.jpgGNR_HOWLDENS_08.jpg.8c9fc88faa172c8bd8e1d2ead7bd97a8.jpg

That looks like a mainline variant with luggage compartments? What happened to the D.156 in the book I sent you?

6 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

That looks like a mainline variant with luggage compartments? What happened to the D.156 in the book I sent you?

Its definitely not a mainline carriage, but let me look up the D.156 tomorrow see if i have made a schoolboy error :)

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, woko said:

Its definitely not a mainline carriage, but let me look up the D.156 tomorrow see if i have made a schoolboy error :)

You could be right as I haven’t got a copy of the diagrams here. It just doesn’t look quite like I remember it.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I presume that is 4mm only. Is there a 7mm equivalent?

I missed that it was a 7mm project - sorry.

Maybe Brassmasters could be induced to produce in 7mm.  I would doubt that the work involved would be very great in terms of artwork, although etching to larger sheets might be more problematic.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Andy Hayter said:

I missed that it was a 7mm project - sorry.

Maybe Brassmasters could be induced to produce in 7mm.  I would doubt that the work involved would be very great in terms of artwork, although etching to larger sheets might be more problematic.

It’s both 4mm and 7mm Andy so your suggestion was very valid. My interest is more in the 7mm stuff but I’m still finding my feet in the larger scale - hence the question.

• 3 weeks later...

Stroudley/Billinton 6 Wheel coach set at 4mm, first pass, have modelled most of the heavy lifting, and finding this coaching stock good fun to get stuck into, keen to get stuck into some more pre-grouping 4-6 wheel coaching stock, but struggling to get some good drawings or ref! Wheels are just for illustration purposes, and I intend to have a centre sliding wheel like they have on the Hornby carriages... (thanks Hornby) Some of the details are slightly exaggerated here, and I have adding in a slight beading, mostly for painting purposes, want to try it out as a way of lining without the faff of transfers or bow spring pens, it will probably end up going horribly wrong but will give it a go anyway... I can always remove them from the mesh should it end up being a shocker! There is seating inside, I intend to detail the seats up, especially the first class seats but will tackle that mostly for the 7mm versions where it will be noticeable!Billinton_Coaches_01.jpg.ad008eb5e72702c07a43298ad5194e8d.jpgBillinton_Coaches_03.jpg.9897747616e2fe73b8c92a8d5c49bc07.jpgBillinton_Coaches_04.jpg.f3b4f9413d750f088483cec7614a7dbe.jpgBillinton_Coaches_02.jpg.9518e8cb93fc5b54e878ea20cea17678.jpgBillinton_Coaches_05.jpg.2ad970b1216a5633a5bfa33f9383b827.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Rob,

Those look fantastic!! the beading to aid with painting is a very interesting idea, I look forward to seeing how they come out.

You know where to send some if you want a test builder :p

Gary

Thanks Gary, yes im looking forward to trying out some Umber and White versions, nothing like diving in at the deep end :) And of course I still need to send you a Cattle Wagon chap :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

7mm etched brass 6 wheel adjustable wheelbase etches available. I also supply them to Poppyswoodtech for his wooden 6 wheelers. I am a LBSCR modeller so willing to barter? I only have one etch left here but can get more sorted. Cheers Ian

etch photo.jpg

Edited by ianmaccormac
reload image
  • Like 1