Pre-Grouping Coaching Stock

43 minutes ago, ianmaccormac said:

7mm etched brass 6 wheel adjustable wheelbase etches available. I also supply them to Poppyswoodtech for his wooden 6 wheelers. I am a LBSCR modeller so willing to barter? I only have one etch left here but can get more sorted. Cheers Ian

That looks like a cracking kit Ian for the 6 wheel underframe, sadly my knowledge of brass kits is pretty much zero, wondering if I can try something in resin/ABS to see if I can get it to work, been playing around with a few ideas, though i doubt I will be able to get these 6 wheelers to print on my Mono X at 7mm, it might not be big enough will look into it when I finally get the Mono X up and running, but need to do some work on finishing the interiors off to bring them up to spec for O gauge! But am keen to print and have a go at painting these up, and doing a bit of teaking for the Howldens! 

Though while im in this printing downtime period im trying to get hold of other drawings for 4-6 wheel coaching stock I can build, pretty much keen for anything that is pre-grouping era as I find the earlier stuff far more visually interesting to model, so happy to do some bartering for that stuff :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rob,

I like the raised beading for lining idea. Will be interesting to see how it comes out.

As for the underframe, I can’t help thinking the resin will be too brittle. I think that something like Ian’s 6 wheel chassis looks like the way to go. You could still print the axle boxes and other underframe detail in resin.

Looking forward to getting my hands on one of your prints!

Regards

Andy

• Agree 1

On 06/02/2021 at 18:41, thegreenhowards said:

Rob,

I like the raised beading for lining idea. Will be interesting to see how it comes out.

As for the underframe, I can’t help thinking the resin will be too brittle. I think that something like Ian’s 6 wheel chassis looks like the way to go. You could still print the axle boxes and other underframe detail in resin.

Looking forward to getting my hands on one of your prints!

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy

You could be right regarding the underframe, though dont think these fit on my Mono X at 7mm might have to wait a little later in the year when i get my hands on a bigger printer! Though will do some 4mm tests in the mean time to iron out some of the other potential issues, and try the raised beading test!

likewise im looking forward to getting cracking on the scenery for o gauge minories project 

• 1 month later...

Whilst I am still finishing off my printing studio I am taking the time to model some more stock in the background, with the help and a big thank you to @Nick Holliday who has been very kind with helping me with getting these right, whilst Nick says he isn't an authority on L&Y carriages he has certainly been a massive help on getting these carriages to how they look now. So cheers Nick really appreciated sir. 

So here is the L&YR Attock 6 wheelers I hope to have a crack at printing at some point this year. Some small details still need adding, but I know I will have to make several print explorations so will continue to add to them I imagine as i do the print tests

651073544_ly_Brake_lantern_04.jpg.423c4043a595f940b27b25543ad0b2e6.jpg142978111_ly_Brake_lantern_02.jpg.a645d3f59ae29db40d6c3a4f3fff242b.jpg1666000625_ly_Third_01.jpg.fa079d034654694bfa2d049df3a09c08.jpg668964761_LYCarriages.jpg.c23320b4fb4150fe47ea03eed1869e27.jpg1003010267_ly_Brake_lantern_01.jpg.8abc0ff9973dfe1b119a9d9d04a129f4.jpg1142952503_ly_Brake_lantern_03.jpg.727cbc64b72c9177767139ebe8db07aa.jpg

• Like 10

Just took a quick grouping of all the 6 wheel brakes so far, Attock, Billinton, and Howlden, and working on some SECR carriages next for the collection to print this summer

Brakes.jpg.aa7a95262c52a6a4c454483b431ad197.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, woko said:

Just took a quick grouping of all the 6 wheel brakes so far, Attock, Billinton, and Howlden, and working on some SECR carriages next for the collection to print this summer

Brakes.jpg.aa7a95262c52a6a4c454483b431ad197.jpg

That neatly demonstrates how different they were. You wouldn’t want to cover all those with a generic offering would you?!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

That neatly demonstrates how different they were. You wouldn’t want to cover all those with a generic offering would you?!

Hell no.... very true Andy :) 

SECR 6 Wheel Brake

Im ideally looking for any feedback on this, as its really hard to find any photographs or imagery to show some of the detailing for these carriages going forward, so any thoughts much appreciated as I'm hoping to model up a rake of 6 and 4 wheel carriages for the SECR. Im missing some of the undercarriage details i need to fill in yet as a heads upSECR_BRAKE_05.jpg.33c7ac3e442fe7f88f4cd485136ce27b.jpgSECR_BRAKE_04.jpg.b156289826eca922775a4d85e8aeb598.jpgSECR_BRAKE_06.jpg.10d7aadafeb71ae00331bc350d4cef79.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Have you got any drawings from Mike King ?

He does quite a good range with fairly good detail on them.

He also has the knowledge.

All the best

Ray

Hello Ray, I don't have any drawings from Mike King on the SECR carriages that im aware of chap. I have been trying to find books on the SECR carriage, and I have David Goulds book on Bogie carriages, but its very hard to find stuff on the shorter 6 and 4 wheel SECR Carriages sadly

3 hours ago, woko said:

Hello Ray, I don't have any drawings from Mike King on the SECR carriages that im aware of chap. I have been trying to find books on the SECR carriage, and I have David Goulds book on Bogie carriages, but its very hard to find stuff on the shorter 6 and 4 wheel SECR Carriages sadly

One that you might find useful is Southern Coaches Survey - Pre-Grouping and Mk1 Stock by Mike King. Published by Crecy in 2019, so copies should still be around.

This contains items on LC & DR 6 wheeled coaches and LB & SCR 6 wheeled coaches, including NPCS.

There are also features on LB & SCR, LSWR and SEC & CR bogie coaches. Quite a few drawings and photographs, and the drawings are sharper than you would get on Mike's own blueprint type drawings.

Mike would also have drawings of other types not listed in this book, including the SER 6 wheelers you are interested in

I will PM you Mikes email address.

All the best

Ray.

• Thanks 1

Hi Rob.

I like the 6 wheeled birdcage guards break. The only surviving example resides on the Bluebell Railway. I believe it has been measured and photographed by one on the big manufacturers, but not scanned, as it has a wooden chassis which has warped and twisted. No sign of a model appearing though.

Now the important question.

Are prints from any of your designs likely to become available for purchase in the near future ?

All the best

Ray

The PBV with the observatory in the centre was, from memory, a late-SER design which the SECR reordered in its early years. There were, IIRC, at least three batches, of which one had the guard's door and the side lookouts swapped round. There's a branchlines kit for these with some background information, and they're also covered in the earlier book by David Gould. I will try to dig out the information. I'm not sure if the oil lamps are correct; I think at least one batch was electrically lit as built.

The brake-3rd looks good. It would be useful to know which version is intended as there were several batches. It seems to be missing the handbrake linkage on the brake end, which is highly distinctive for SER and SECR coaches. AFAIK, it's the same linkage as on the bogie brakes, so you should have some photos already.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Rob.

I like the 6 wheeled birdcage guards break. The only surviving example resides on the Bluebell Railway. I believe it has been measured and photographed by one on the big manufacturers, but not scanned, as it has a wooden chassis which has warped and twisted. No sign of a model appearing though.

Now the important question.

Are prints from any of your designs likely to become available for purchase in the near future ?

All the best

Ray

Hello Ray, yes that is the big question, so to answer it in short yes definitely I will be supplying a few of these for sale to folks who might want some. 

I haven't been printing anything of late, which has been frustrating for me as I really enjoy seeing this stuff for real obviously, and painting it up. But my printers are currently packed up in the garage, not the greatest place for printing, especially in terms of temperature fluctuations and leaky roof! So all my practical time has been spent working on building a purpose built studio/office in the garden to use to house and build models in. The good news its getting close to finished, im currently working on the interior space, just need to get the electrics wired into the CU, and certified and then plaster boarding and taping and finally a bit of painting before I can get back to getting my printers operational again, so far I have 3 printers, hoping to increase this by a couple more this year to work with! So this is the big plan, and why my printing has stalled, im currently taking the opportunity to build up some models to print! But once im back up and running i hope to run off a few prints for those folks who kindly contacted me asking about them! I'm not going to mass produce stuff, just print off a few bits here and there for folks and definitely you Ray ;) . The studio progress below  :) 

F13B539D-7120-46BB-BEAB-E3E80F730581.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Guy Rixon said:

The PBV with the observatory in the centre was, from memory, a late-SER design which the SECR reordered in its early years. There were, IIRC, at least three batches, of which one had the guard's door and the side lookouts swapped round. There's a branchlines kit for these with some background information, and they're also covered in the earlier book by David Gould. I will try to dig out the information. I'm not sure if the oil lamps are correct; I think at least one batch was electrically lit as built.

The brake-3rd looks good. It would be useful to know which version is intended as there were several batches. It seems to be missing the handbrake linkage on the brake end, which is highly distinctive for SER and SECR coaches. AFAIK, it's the same linkage as on the bogie brakes, so you should have some photos already.

Thanks Guy as always chap your knowledge is welcome, I wasn't aware that the handbrake linkage was a trade mark feature on the SER Carriages i need to go back and check my reference to see this. But much appreciated :) 

Hi Rob.

Sounds like an impressive set up.

I could do with one of those sheds. Unfortunately I live in a flat and we have a communal garden between eight of us.

My workshop room is so full of stuff at the moment, I don't think that you could swing a cat in there. (I don't think either of my two would like that anyway). Got to have a good sort out soon.

I hope that you get it properly insured once you install all your expensive equipment in there.

All the best

Ray

• Thanks 1

Some details of the SE&CR handbrake linkage.

SECR-handbrake-1.jpg.eaad89213a9d6c5d49954674242d990c.jpg

This is the typical fitting. The handbrake linkage is the long, vertical assembly seen above the left-hand buffer in this shot. It's a vertical shaft turned by bevel gears visible at the top, just below the alarm gear. Those gears are turned by the handbrake wheel which is on mounted on the inside of the end of the coach. It's positioned where the guard car operate it while looking out of the roof observatory. At the bottom of the vertical rod there's a screw that pulls on the horizontal arm of a crank, and the other arm of that crank pulls on a rod that's linked to the centre crank of the brake rigging.

SECR-handbrake-2.jpg.ac65301182f17d47eb02224f44644b9e.jpg

This is a different coach and shows the gear more clearly, particularly the bit at the bottom. What you can see in this shot is the stirrup that links the screw on the vertical rod to the crank. The crank itself has one arm horizontal, poking out from under the headstock and pinned to the bottom of the stirrup. The other arm is vertical and points down to the track from the pivot. Because this is a slip coach, the guard is expected to work the handbrake while standing at the slip controls, so the handbrake wheel is mounted lower down and the vertical shaft is shorter. However, everything else looks to be fairly standard.

It's a decent picture of the electrical switch-gear and the alarm gear, too.

This and the previous photo are scanned from Gould.

SECR-handbrake-3.jpg.2e105fe28234d44cb7ea3d4fb56396af.jpg

Finally, a drawing showing the position of the handbrake fittings on non-slip coaches. This is taken from Coutanche and scanned on a flat-bed scanner, so it should be possible to pick off dimensions and positions of things.

Information on the PBV to follow, when I've found the right books and papers.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

That's a very nice looking start to your studio/office Rob!! Certainly got a lot more space than my new studio/workshop, luckily I only have one 3D printer in there, plus all the recording stuff!!

Gary

Ta Gary, though have to warn you chap, I started out thinking only one 3d printer..... trust me chap you will be getting more in time :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guy Rixon said:

Some details of the SE&CR handbrake linkage.

This is the typical fitting. The handbrake linkage is the long, vertical assembly seen above the left-hand buffer in this shot. It's a vertical shaft turned by bevel gears visible at the top, just below the alarm gear. Those gears are turned by the handbrake wheel which is on mounted on the inside of the end of the coach. It's positioned where the guard car operate it while looking out of the roof observatory. At the bottom of the vertical rod there's a screw that pulls on the horizontal arm of a crank, and the other arm of that crank pulls on a rod that's linked to the centre crank of the brake rigging.

This is a different coach and shows the gear more clearly, particularly the bit at the bottom. What you can see in this shot is the stirrup that links the screw on the vertical rod to the crank. The crank itself has one arm horizontal, poking out from under the headstock and pinned to the bottom of the stirrup. The other arm is vertical and points down to the track from the pivot. Because this is a slip coach, the guard is expected to work the handbrake while standing at the slip controls, so the handbrake wheel is mounted lower down and the vertical shaft is shorter. However, everything else looks to be fairly standard.

It's a decent picture of the electrical switch-gear and the alarm gear, too.

This and the previous photo are scanned from Gould.

Finally, a drawing showing the position of the handbrake fittings on non-slip coaches. This is taken from Coutanche and scanned on a flat-bed scanner, so it should be possible to pick off dimensions and positions of things.

Information on the PBV to follow, when I've found the right books and papers.

This is fantastic thanks Guy, I now know what you mean by the Handbrake linkage, I modelled one on the back of my SER/SECR Goods Brake van, so will probably use that as a starting point as my drawings are hard to read for the ends so this is amazing and most appreciated chap :) I shall set about modelling and placing one on the back of this passenger brake. 

Cheers

Rob