Tillig Elite 85139 Module Linking Track

wandering blue

Hello . I've got one of these as a trial to see if they make any sense:

https://www.tillig.com/eng/Produkte/produktinfo-85139.html

The principle is to have overlapping chamfered cut rails in the centre of a short length of track, so that one end can be slid out up to 5mm across baseboard joints. 

image.png.cf33e2baca709687c4be69ae394cdcf7.png

Evidently electrical continuity therefore relies on the opposing faces on the joint; perhaps an additional pair of flexible droppers would solve that if it were problematical.

The friction at the joint relies only on the plastic chairs and I can see this loosening over time.

They go against the grain of soldering baseboard-edge  rail ends to either copper clad or brass screws.

I'm not sure they will work for me, as many of my tracks crossing baseboard edges are not straight, and although you can flex Tillig Elite track, to do so in this instance opens up the chamfered track joints.

Trust the above is of use. Has anyone used these successfully, with or without Tillig Styrostone pre-ballasted underlay?

Wandering Blue

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Not used, I'm afraid, but I quite like the idea, as I'm totally inept with a soldering iron.  However I note the track across the joint doesn't just have to be straight, it has to be at exactly 90 degrees to the edge.  And yes, I would have separate cross-board electrical connections using banana plugs or similar rather than relying on the track.  Interesting, though ....

14 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

I may be missing something, but doesn’t the track from one board have to protrude beyond the edge when the boards are separated, so it will mate properly when the boards are pushed together?  If so, there’s a risk of damage to the protruding bits?

I've used  a similar with N Kato Unitrak albeit obviously a lot stronger, with the track section not extended it is flush with the edge of board and then with the boards joined extended to connect with the track on the other board,

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

I've used  a similar with N Kato Unitrak albeit obviously a lot stronger, with the track section not extended it is flush with the edge of board and then with the boards joined extended to connect with the track on the other board,

Ah, got it! Thank you - so the whole piece stays on one board, then one side extends (like a step ladder) over the gap.

I agree with the earlier posts that use is limited to straight joins perpendicular to the baseboard edge - but if it’s marketed as a ‘module joiner’ that’s fair enough: the module specs I’m familiar with require that anyway.