Bachmann class 37 - couplings vs snow ploughs

Grande Maurice

I've just acquired a lovely used Bachmann class 37/0 in green. I didn't come with the detailing pack so i'm going to buy one. Simple..... er, no... it seems not.

Most of the packs i can buy appear to have a large single snowplough that clicks into the NEM coupling socket thus removing the ability to fit a coupling. 

I fancied the idea of fully detailing each end, and with Kadee couplings and snow-ploughs at both ends.

I appreciate this may not suit the purists out there but my layout my rules. 

My question to you learned gentlemen (and ladies) is.... is it possible to fit a snow plough that doesn't use the NEM socket and therefore allows me to fit my Kadee couplings? If so then where can i buy these?

I've attached below images of 2 locos that appear to have achieved what i want to do.

I've also added pictures of different parts i've come across on Google.

Image called Parts 1 (in the sealed bag) are pretty much what's available to buy.

The next 2 images appear to be options that could work but which i cannot source.

The final image shows what i want to avoid having to do.

Any advice most welcome......

Loco example 1.jpg

Loco example 2.jpg

Parts 1.jpg

Parts 2.jpg

Parts 3.jpg

Parts 4.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Option 2 looks like the ploughs that were given with the original Bachmann class 37, which had slightly different bogie frames. (which is what you have purchased)

Unlikely to see those now as the more traditional clip in ploughs were distributed as soon as the 37 was retooled which was quite a while ago....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Class-25-Detailing-pack-snowploughs-with-Speaker-chassis-OO-gauge/274595894860?hash=item3fef30d64c:g:tDQAAOSwRetfxTeV

Bachmann, 25 kits seem to still feature separate ploughs...

but....I would really give the bogies a good scrub, and try and key for glue to grab, as the plastic Bachmann use on the bogies I find notoriously difficult to glue.

other options might be Vitrains and Hornby detailing kits for the 50s which are separate ploughs, or theres the etched brass route, which I seem to recall ph-designs offer

Edited by pheaton

Suggest you put a wanted post on here, the 1st and 2nd release Bachmann class 37 release came with those ploughs but many of the prototype weren't fitted with them (especially Blue and Green liveried locos) so there maybe a few people on here with them sat in the box doing nothing who would be willing to part with them. 

It is possible to fit the two outer snowplough blades around the working coupling, either tension lock or Kadee. Requires gluing on small brackets made of plastic card, I did this on a Bachmann 37401. The other end has the buffer beam pipe work and dummy screw coupling. Here, I have fitted the three part snowplough onto the underside of the buffer beam rather than on the bogie. Looks a lot better in my opinion. Requires a bit of surgery but worth the effort.

John

Fortunately I have a few sets of the three piece snow ploughs from the older locos, so I do a mix and match. The older version which the ploughs push into the square holes in the bogie do look better and does give you the option of fitting the coupling. The other problem with the newer version is it sticks out about 2mm further forward when fitted so you need to trim the coupling box if you want to detail the front end as it fouls the pipes etc.

20201207_102134.jpg

20201207_102146.jpg

20201207_102231.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1