Need help again with a Wrenn Castles poor running.

cypherman

Hi all,

I have been having running problems with a Wrenn castle. The engine has the ringfield motor. It runs wonderfully backwards but going forwards it is at a painful crawl. I thought I had fixed it swapping the front bogie wheels. As I thought that They were too big and shorting against the chassis. It seemed to help for a while and it started to run a bit better going forwards. But it has now started to run very poorly forwards again. Still better than it originally did before the front wheels were changed. It still runs a treat going backwards. if it was the other way I would not be too bothered as I do not tend to run big passenger engines backwards. The engine has been serviced and if I take the wheels of it is free running. The motor when off the engine also seems to run in both directions fine. I am really stuck for an answer to this. Any help would be appreciated.

This is what I have done to try and resolve this problem so far.

Full service to motor and chassis.

Replaced the front bogie wheels.

Checked that both the chassis and motor run fine when not attached to each other.

Checked that the worm gear and cog are not binding or that there is too much play in the gears.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Ok I think I have fixed it. There is a nut/bolt/screw arrangement on the back of the motor that holds the rear bearing for the driveshaft. Now this is adjustable. It looks like the previous owner had adjusted this out a bit too much and made the shaft loose inside the motor. When the engine ran backwards it pushed against the front bearing and the gears were ok. But when it ran forwards the shaft pushed back and the gears started to bind because of the freeplay. By adjusting the bearing back into the correct position this seems to have fixed the problem and it seems to be able to run in both directions normally. Well it does for now.....lol.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2