2021 hopes

Hilux5972

6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

A large carnivorous mammal.  And maybe I could and mention something very surprising and radical and go again with my old chestnut which I first put in this sort of thread a few years back and tried again the following year (so was wrong twice)?   Do I go for 3rd time lucky?

I'm going to need some help here,  large carnivorous mammal and an old chestnut?

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

A large carnivorous mammal. 

Ah, finally Hornby does narrow gauge. The modelling world has been waiting far too long for Polar Bear and Sea Lion of the Groudle Glen Railway. And both of them still exist to be scanned!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

After this years centenary 'releasefest', 2021 may see more limited additions to the range.

At the time they released the 'as built' MN, Hornby said they had the tooling options for each of the class variants. We are probably due for a 'middle third' (21C11-20) version of this class.

The Ivatt version of the Coronation pacific has yet to appear in LMS Black so I would not be surprised to see 'Sir William Stanier FRS' in this guise sometime soon.

On the modern image front, there may have been enough time since their UK launch to scan and tool a Stadler 755 bi-mode. This seems to tick several boxes since it does not require a layout with catenary and is available in 3 or 4 (OK 4 or 5 if you include the power car) lengths which should fit on most layouts. The power car provides a convenient and authentic place to put a sound chip/speaker and by now someone will have had the chance to create a sound file. If I keep guessing this, I will be right one year!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

No idea where the chestnut comes into it but we could really do with that large carnivorous mammal....

spacer.png

Probably one of the biggest open goals still available.

Jason

Bachmann kept threatening to update this for years, even put one in a catalogue as a new item, then dropped it, so I presume they think it's not a good proposition. Seeing as I've just finished updating my 8 LMS ones with new chassis', I suppose a new one could appear though.

• Like 1

Even with less prototypes available to choose from it just doesn't get any easier to guess what is coming next.

I reckon it'll be an LSWR T3 and some LNER Coronation/Silver Jubilee coaches.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was a GWR Saint, someone will surely be producing one of them sooner or later.   Surely?

• Like 3

- GWR Saint

- Re-tooled Black 5 OR 8f

- Southern Q 

- LNER Coronation coaching set

- GWR Collet Bow-Ended Dining Car

- One new tool big 4 wagon - probably something that is already in the Parkside range, as per.

- Something "Era 1" like Lion, or something industrial, like a sentinel VBT loco

- My dark horse punt: the GWR "Great Bear", or an S160...

CoY

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, daltonparva said:

Bachmann kept threatening to update this for years, even put one in a catalogue as a new item, then dropped it, so I presume they think it's not a good proposition. Seeing as I've just finished updating my 8 LMS ones with new chassis', I suppose a new one could appear though.

I just think that Bachmann got so bogged down in whatever issues they had that everything was put back by about ten years. It's only now that they seem to be getting back on track.

I know it doesn't really work like this, but Hornby have the majority of parts already. They always seem to like the big named engines and there aren't really that many left....

Whisper it quietly but the old Mainline one is nearly forty years old.  :senile:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

No idea where the chestnut comes into it but we could really do with that large carnivorous mammal....

spacer.png

Probably one of the biggest open goals still available.

Jason

This is big un and very hungry !!!!  and the last LNER pacific, that has'nt been made other than the A2/1. Edit and the A1/1

post-7186-0-48492100-1479895329.jpgpost-7186-0-79462900-1479895353.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice to see the detailed class 31 and 60 tools sweated a little (more the former than the latter), with some batch liveries like Heljan have done with their 33. 

lots of liveries on the Limby 47?

would like a First blue barbie HST set but will need the coaches too as I sold mine waiting for the locos to be produced!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Andy W said:

Ah, finally Hornby does narrow gauge. The modelling world has been waiting far too long for Polar Bear and Sea Lion of the Groudle Glen Railway. And both of them still exist to be scanned!

You know, I'd like those as much as the re-introduced Battlespace Turbo car that Simon keeps promising me.

And since I have a 16mm scale kit for Sea Lion awaiting building, it's probably guaranteed!

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

My guess is a continued nibble at Replica’s range,  giving LNE /SR a bit of a rest and a smaller range of announcements.

Locos ..

One of GWR Saint, Manor or County 4-6-0 looks obvious.. Manor tooled and ready to go says the cynic in me.

Original Royal Scot.
6202 Turbomotive

84xxx 2-6-2t (too soon imho)

Metal bodied Rebuilt Merchant navy.

stock..
A Stanier Open (completes the set) 

Mk1 64’ suburbans (which gives Hornby a full house of Big 4 & BR in suburban rakes).

6 wheel milk tank (An accurate one)... Express Dairies to join the Morden Ruston.

HEA Wagon .. new tooled.

DBSO (For network rail if using the mk2e/f tooling) or an MLV (Gatwick express if going with 64’ suburbans).

reliveries/renumbers 

Clan re-release

Black 5 (theres always one)

4472 / 4468 (theres always one)

TPE Azuma  

Malachite Green BR Original MN

Some LMS coronation coaches in BR liveries.

Semi-Duchess in BR Maroon

Gatex coaches If an MLV 

Modern Image..

Railroad 31’s in 1990’s colours (Old tooling)

LNER Mk4’s (Old tooling).

Northern 142 (old tooling)

Northern 156 new livery (old tooling)

Greater Anglia class 90 (old tooling)

Greater Anglia mk3’s (old tooling)
90001 in Intercity (old tooling)

Midland Pullman HST

D9016 (Dog old tooling)

73001 / 73002 and a Gatex 73 (if an MLV). (old tooling).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

Not a hope of mine but another prediction. Although not strictly suitable for Rocket or the L&M, perhaps the Londonderry Collieries/Seaham Harbour Chaldron wagons would have some appeal. They are similar enough to many early railways' wagons to look 'right' behind an 'era 1' loco whilst they lasted well into the 20th century so would be equally at home behind Pecketts etc.

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Worth bearing in mind Hornby hasn't made anything for 1830. The Rocket is 1979 and the coaches were built in 1930.

So possibly Lion. But I would think more likely in Titfield condition with Dan's Coach. Isn't there an anniversary of that coming up?

Jason

Very good point regarding eras but Hornby's Rocket is 1935 (based on the sectioned replica built by R. Stephenson & Co for the Science Museum and currently in the NRM Great Hall).

I would like to see Hornby make a Lion to match the finesse of their Rocket. I suspect most potential buyers, myself included, will want it in the form that it can currently be seen in Liverpool Museum or alternatively in 'Thunderbolt' paintjob as per the movie which owes much of its appearance to the 1929/30 rebuild (tender, firebox cladding and chimney all completely changed to name a few). The cost of extra tooling to model the loco in it's pre-1859 L&MR life (bearing in mind it was rebuilt there too) would probably be unviable given the potential market for the early version even with the potential to produce sister engine Tiger too. But would the hoped-for Lion follow in Rockets footsteps by being labelled era 1 when it is in fact era 3?

• Like 2

The same every year so maybe 2021 is the lucky one.

LNWR Radial 5'6" 2-4-2 tank in LNWR LMS and BR liveries with appropriate detail differences

LNWR Claughton 4-6-0 in LNWR and LMS liveries

GWR "Aberdare" 2-6-0

Swindon Cross Country DMU

Gloucester Cross Country DMU both using tooling slides

LMS Motor train (push pull) coaches in LMS and BR liveries. 

Panelled GWR autocoach in GW and BR liveries

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think a Churchward Saint is a good shout. And I’d also be surprised if a GWR Manor isn’t in Hornby’s plans somewhere in the next couple of years. 

Something LNER with a name that no-one’s previously done is the Gresley K4 2-6-0. That’s a pretty loco, there’s a preserved example and they already have the Peppercorn K1 in the range. 

For something a bit leftfield how about a new version of Caley 123, the single wheeler? They had one in the range years ago and it’s a pretty pre-grouping loco. 

I also wouldn’t be surprised if there’s another small industrial logo as these have been good sellers for the last few years, maybe a Bagnall 0-4-0ST or another 0-4-0 diesel shunter?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkSG said:

Predictions, rather than wishlisting...

More era 1 stuff. Quite possibly the (repeatedly) aforementioned Lion. Maybe even in a train pack as the Titfield Thunderbolt.

Re-tooled Cowans Sheldon crane.

Another industrial loco.

Several colourful private owner open wagons.

Re-tooled N2.

GWR 6014.

The idea of the N2 is interesting.  How about an N2 with a die cast body and supplied in Hornby Dublo style packaging?

Kind regards

Paddy

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

A large carnivorous mammal.  And maybe I could and mention something very surprising and radical and go again with my old chestnut which I first put in this sort of thread a few years back and tried again the following year (so was wrong twice)?   Do I go for 3rd time lucky?

Badger....class 89?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1