2021 hopes

Hilux5972

As a few other people have mentioned, I expect Hornby will announce some Mk4s and DVT to go with the Class 91s they announced last year. Hopefully re-tooled versions up to modern standards.

I'd like to see a full rake of accurate Royal Train coaches, although if they are planning on something like this then maybe next year might be more likely?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, micklner said:

This is big un and very hungry !!!!  and the last LNER pacific, that has'nt been made other than the A2/1. Edit and the A1/1

post-7186-0-48492100-1479895329.jpgpost-7186-0-79462900-1479895353.jpg

But would it get around Radius Two or Three track? We all know somebody will try....

I believe the DJH version which I'm assuming that is originally from, struggles. I don't think the real ones were particularly curve friendly either.

Jason

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, I.C.L. 11 said:

Very good point regarding eras but Hornby's Rocket is 1935 (based on the sectioned replica built by R. Stephenson & Co for the Science Museum and currently in the NRM Great Hall).

I would like to see Hornby make a Lion to match the finesse of their Rocket. I suspect most potential buyers, myself included, will want it in the form that it can currently be seen in Liverpool Museum or alternatively in 'Thunderbolt' paintjob as per the movie which owes much of its appearance to the 1929/30 rebuild (tender, firebox cladding and chimney all completely changed to name a few). The cost of extra tooling to model the loco in it's pre-1859 L&MR life (bearing in mind it was rebuilt there too) would probably be unviable given the potential market for the early version even with the potential to produce sister engine Tiger too. But would the hoped-for Lion follow in Rockets footsteps by being labelled era 1 when it is in fact era 3?

They measured the 1979 Replica which used parts from the LNWR replica Rocket, which spent many years outside Clapham Transport Museum. It was also present at Rocket 100 at Wavertree.

spacer.png

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Waverley47708 said:

I'm going to need some help here,  large carnivorous mammal and an old chestnut?

Large carnivore often found on safari.  If you are old enough to remember Daktari, Clarence was a cross eyed one . And there certainly was a chocolate bar named after one , not sure if you still get it . I think might be ideal in a Titfield Thunderbolt set too . 

• Like 2

Streamlined P2 aka A4 Nose version . The original P2 Cock o The North when made, had the chassis already made in the shape of the A4 front end version. Six named versions in Lined Apple Green and wartime all Black . They already have the Tenders as well.

Three era's from NER to BR  therfore potential for numerous versions

NER 4-4-0 D20 .

NER Atlantic C6 and C7 both just managed to survive ino BR ownership.

J21  J25  N8  B16

LNER period

Sentinel Railcar a good poller in the past. Rails are doing the NER Version , so doubtful.

D49

NER Wooden Hopper wagons , a potential big seller.

NER Coaches.

LNER Coronation set.

Edited by micklner
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

They measured the 1979 Replica which used parts from the LNWR replica Rocket, which spent many years outside Clapham Transport Museum. It was also present at Rocket 100 at Wavertree.

On the "oldie" front, how about a model of Trevithick's Pen-y-Darren loco?

13 hours ago, gelboy45 said:

A Bullied 4 Sub, same as the one onsite.

That would be nice although they didn't get to my area of interest very often so I would be more interested in a 4COR (which I have heard on the grapevine might have been scanned already)

If the Clan get re-released that might get my vote but I would want one with the "fantasy" number of the BR(S) ones that were cancelled - like Hengist maybe?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One complete oddball suggestion which has just come back to me is D0226 ‘Vulcan’ as preserved at the KWVR. For some reason there was a random shot of it in an edition of The Engine Shed earlier in the year, along with an oblique reference in the text to something else being measured. I suspect Islesy will remember...

Here’s a link to the blog, the photo in question is under the final image of 78022:

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/british-railways-standard-2mt-2-6-0-update-on-new-liveries

However, I’m pretty sure it’s a one off and had a limited number of liveries so that might rule it out? It is, however, not likely to be expected and we’ve had a few of those with Hornby in the last few years. 

Edited by MrTea
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

I have a request/suggestion for the actual "Hornby 2021 range announcements" thread when it happens. That it's split into TWO threads, one steam era and one modern image. The 2020 thread went wandering off down all sorts of rabbit holes and nearly 50% of readers had to plough through discussions regarding models which they have no interest in. That's usually avoidable by not opening the thread if the title isn't 'your' era but not a luxury available on an unwieldy single cover-all topic...

Splitting it into two is not enough as lumping the public into 2 camps is too imprecise.

I suggest the following:

Pre-grouping. Pre and post 1900 possibly.

Early Grouping - say up to 1935.

Late grouping- 1936-1948.

Early nationalisation.

Mid nationalisation. But don't forget to also include the transition era as a sub-section.

Late nationalisation (I'm getting fed up of typing nationalisation now)

Early Privatisation.

Mid Privatisation.

Present day - ish

Anything Great Western

Waits for the suggestion for Great Western and "everything else" for the two threads.

Actually no.

Scrub the above. I was only having a :jester:

If you have two threads, you'll stand a good chance of reopening the steam v diesel (and electric) bunfight again. Andy has enough trouble managing one wishlist never mind 10 2

Back on topic:

A class 69

Personally, I'm not really interested in anything pre-2015 (which therefore excludes a significant portion of this so-called "modern image"), but do like to read about other's wishlistings - steam, internal combustion, cable, atmospheric, electric, horse or clockwork.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Bit left of field, Flying Scotsman, capitals,and Elizabethan pressure ventilated Thompsons. Similar to the Bachmann Thompsons in appearances  but significant changes, but less tooling than the coronation/West riding streamlined sets. Just a thought....

Edited by davidw

Does anyone happen to know the date / time when the announcement will be made? 

I would certainly like to see more liveries released on the 153 - Wales and West D&C Black / Gold, Heart of Wessex, Heart of Wales (all suitable for the South West and East Midlands) and FGW Local Lines, more "previous" liveries on the HST - GWT Merlin, FGW Fag Packet or FGW Barbie, and a few more realistic looking Skaledale buildings. 

I wonder if we will see the Oxford Rail Loco Hauled Mk3s moved across to join the main Hornby range as well - perhaps with a Qc upgrade and much deserved expansion of liveries. 

5 minutes ago, surfsup said:

Does anyone happen to know the date / time when the announcement will be made? 

According to the Hornby Advent Calendar 1000 on 5/1/2021.

A reasonable expectation that the website will crash so I would suggest looking on the afternoon of the 6th...

Edited by DutyDruid
added missing words
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

Personally, I'm hoping for a TfW 67 and a Transrail/dutch 56. If they do a Transpennine 802, that would also be very tempting. Steam wise, maybe a 2mt tank?

VTEC mk4s and TfW DVT would be tempting too, though thinking logically I'm guessing any new tooling of mk4s/DVT would be in the liveries already announced for the class 91s.

Edited by CazRail
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, InterCity80s said:

I'd like to see a full rake of accurate Royal Train coaches, although if they are planning on something like this then maybe next year might be more likely?

Now that is something I would definitely love to see! Properly modelled with the double doors and odd window arrangements and all. Dream come true that would be! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

I found it hilarious how on Simon and Montana's Recent Hornby Q&A they mentioned that they already have their 2022 range and 2023 range!  already planned but they joked that they hadn't had their 2021 range sorted.

This is true of any of the established manufacturers - when it takes 3 years to bring a new item to market (research, design, tooling, etc) you need to have a general plan out to at least 3 years as to what you are going to do.

Similarly, as you get closer your plans get more disorganized as some projects take longer than others, and as you attempt to react to what your partners/competition are doing and how the market has changed.

Newly tooled BR Class 89 original BR IC executive livery, IC swallow livery (if Rails won't go through with it).

Given the Dapol/Rails/Hornby history this one would seem to be a possibility, as would a GWR Manor (as mentioned by adb968008)

BR Class 142 Pacer RailBus (in any BR liveries.) (Probably railroad now) been a while since was Reintroduced 2013 was it? 

Might be an idea, get in some sales as the Realtrack 142 slowly progresses.

BR Class 25 In BR Blue or BR Green

Hornby name sells, but with Bachmann and Heljan having Class 25 models?

BR Class 58 in BR 1985 in Grey Railfreight Livery 

Perhaps, but is there enough of a market (even allowing for a cheaper price, for both a Hornby and a EFE/Heljan Class 58?

BR MK3s standard first and buffet of the older tooling in RailRoad range to go with 2019 BR Class 43 HST power cars.

Or to we maybe see a new tooled set of Mk3's based off the sliding door Mk3 tooling they announced a couple of years ago?  Or even potentially the Oxford tooling?

8 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

A cost-saving idea for Hornby. If you are producing more (or, new ) mineral wagons, leave the Tampo machine alone, and release these wagons without numbers. We can renumber  these ourselves. If collectors want a boxed, 'as-is' model, then by all means, do so, and charge a premium for the collector market. Modellers will buy far more wagons, than a single collector.

Experience says otherwise, with un-numbered models sitting on retailer shelves as buyers (whether "collectors, modellers, or the vast majority of people who just buy stuff to have fun with) avoid them.  As such I don't know that many retailers would bother stocking un-numbered wagons, leaving Hornby with a lot of stuff stock in the warehouse.

• Agree 5