2021 hopes

Hilux5972

12 hours ago, newbryford said:

Splitting it into two is not enough as lumping the public into 2 camps is too imprecise.

I suggest the following:

Pre-grouping. Pre and post 1900 possibly.

Early Grouping - say up to 1935.

Late grouping- 1936-1948.

Early nationalisation.

Mid nationalisation. But don't forget to also include the transition era as a sub-section.

Late nationalisation (I'm getting fed up of typing nationalisation now)

Early Privatisation.

Mid Privatisation.

Present day - ish

Anything Great Western

Waits for the suggestion for Great Western and "everything else" for the two threads.

Actually no.

Scrub the above. I was only having a :jester:

If you have two threads, you'll stand a good chance of reopening the steam v diesel (and electric) bunfight again. Andy has enough trouble managing one wishlist never mind 10 2

Back on topic:

A class 69

Personally, I'm not really interested in anything pre-2015 (which therefore excludes a significant portion of this so-called "modern image"), but do like to read about other's wishlistings - steam, internal combustion, cable, atmospheric, electric, horse or clockwork.

So then at least cutting it in half would work for you despite taking the p*** out of my suggestion??!!! Two threads would not be unmanageable and would probably save idiotic name calling from people who struggle with the concept of someone being from a different era to them. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

So then at least cutting it in half would work for you despite taking the p*** out of my suggestion??!!! Two threads would not be unmanageable and would probably save idiotic name calling from people who struggle with the concept of someone being from a different era to them. 

..but would just mean those of us whose interests span all eras would have two threads to monitor.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Always a bit of a problem, I guess. 

I reckon Hornby have a huge list of sale-able candidates. Naturally, it spreads years forwards, like any good business will. But! if one of the candidates gets 3 forum mentions  (any forum ) that prospective model gets taken back to the bottom of the list. It will get made, but not right now.

That's why Hornby made that 1960's lineside fencing: No-one saw that coming.....

I would doubt very much if Hornby remade the Battlspace Turbo car. It's quirky, it's fun. But can you see the model trying to get past the Health & Safety people? 

3 hours ago, Opelsi said:

Ah, so that is where the image originates, thank you.

Maybe also the source used by Royal Mail for an issue of stamps 'Rainhill Trials' in 1980.

The pink coach at the end of the top train is interesting.

I recall from the stamps one of the third class coaches having a roof though have also read on this site that this was a later addition not for weather protection but for protection from steam, smoke + soot from the locomotive.

Not withstanding historical accuracy I wonder if these could be on the cards from Hornby (as surely not a big adjustment for them to make to existing tooling), with the likes of 'Lion' or similar!

10290047-2636-4B1E-8EA7-951279CD83C2.jpeg.88fddac3f935091664315925083d8f26.jpeg

I think that the “pink” coach is a red Royal Mail coach?

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Added altered image....
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Besides the Caley single that people keep mentioning, which would go with Rails/Bachmann new 812 offering, there is another Caley loco in the Hornby stable that would benefit from a long overdue upgrading and fit with the current penchant for highly detailed small locos; the Caley  "pug".

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, daltonparva said:

Besides the Caley single that people keep mentioning, which would go with Rails/Bachmann new 812 offering, there is another Caley loco in the Hornby stable that would benefit from a long overdue upgrading and fit with the current penchant for highly detailed small locos; the Caley  "pug".

Or, that little Neilson 0-4-0 ? 

Yes please. Put me down for one.

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

What about a new more detailed TPO with working nets?  I know Bachmann have one but as far as I am aware there is no working mechanism?

Is this the year where Hornby make moves in to other scales within British outline?  Could they be tempted by O Gauge?  Thought it was rather a waste of the Basset Lowke brand to use it on Steam Punk - should have kept it for O Gauge.    Or looking at TT again (I know all the arguments about scale)?  Or even N Gauge i.e. expand the offerings under Hornby Arnold?

Given the success of the Hornby Dublo branded/packaged products could Hornby be tempted to expand this range?

Kind regards

Paddy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

In a topic called "2021 Hopes" only @rovex has mentioned the obvious choice:

How about a GWR 2021 class 0-6-0 saddle tank - not as later converted to pannier tanks, we've got enough of those!

Surely the perfect loco to release next year!?

Domed or domeless with a few variations of cab, bunker and chimney styles, ideally.

Hornby have done well with small saddle tank locos recently and this would follow-up that trend with a loco that could find a place in many GWR layouts, ringing the changes a bit from the ubiquitous panniers. (Did any survive into BR ownership in saddle tank form?)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 4

I must say that there's a lot of requests from the USATC S160. I always saw it in polls but I don't recall it being such a highly requested item (I may be wrong here). But yes this year every other post on rmweb, YouTube, Facebook and so on is about a USATC S160. 

I wonder if Hornby will actually do one. Seems more like a Bachmann thing. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Chris89 said:

An S160 would be nice, considering only one you can get is the Roco variant in HO.

i'm building a wartime layout for the exhibition circuit so that would get my vote

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I must say that there's a lot of requests from the USATC S160. I always saw it in polls but I don't recall it being such a highly requested item (I may be wrong here). But yes this year every other post on rmweb, YouTube, Facebook and so on is about a USATC S160. 

Or they could use it to revive the Triang Transcontinental  brand....  :jester:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thinking about diesel and electrics I wonder if Hornby might surprise us with either a retooled 37 or 47 to 2020 standards?

I know there are other offerings in development but we know Hornby have a habit of not sitting back when there are potential other models coming to market. Either of these would make sense as Hornby have had them in the range for years, albeit the Limby versions currently in the RailRoad category. But most importantly they’re long-lived prototypes with loads of possible liveries and detail variations. If you were looking for a class to invest in to get your money back over the next ten or twenty years either of these would fit the bill, probably more than something bigger and more prestigious like a Deltic or a Western. 

Just a thought. 

36 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Assuming a gestation period of 3 years for a model and Hornby seem to announce about 1 year from release I've just looked at the 2018 Wishlist poll result and in the top 50 the top 3 were... 

Number 1 - Manor (announced by Dapol)

Number 2 - BR Standard 2 (announced by Hornby)

Number 3 - USATC S160...

So it has been quite high in the polls and maybe it might find it's way in or we could have a duplication on Manors or neither!

And having just looked at the 2019 poll results it was the same top 3 with the S160 at number 1 and in the 2016 survey it was 6th (no survey in 2017). So it has been there or thereabouts

Edited by Karl
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MrTea said:

Thinking about diesel and electrics I wonder if Hornby might surprise us with either a retooled 37 or 47 to 2020 standards?

I know there are other offerings in development but we know Hornby have a habit of not sitting back when there are potential other models coming to market. Either of these would make sense as Hornby have had them in the range for years, albeit the Limby versions currently in the RailRoad category. But most importantly they’re long-lived prototypes with loads of possible liveries and detail variations. If you were looking for a class to invest in to get your money back over the next ten or twenty years either of these would fit the bill, probably more than something bigger and more prestigious like a Deltic or a Western. 

Just a thought. 

i can't see the 37, they are not going to compete with Accurascales version, i just don't think Hornby have it in them to better it, and unless your going to make it better why bother.

They may do the 47, beat Heljan to it, i also think Hornby could do a better job of it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Hello everyone

Just for info - the USATC S-160 has been in The Top 50 of The 00 Wishlist Poll since 2014.

It was overall top-voted item in 2019 (the last Poll to run).

As far as the 2019 Top 50 goes, readers might be interested that:

6 items have been announced;

4 of those 6 were in The Top 10;

2 of those were in Second and Third place - just a handful of votes behind the S-160.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Edited by BMacdermott
Spelling correction
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

10 minutes ago, MrTea said:

But we know Hornby have a habit of not sitting back when there are potential other models coming to market. 

It's more the case of how much Hornby has invested already into the project. I know it's become a famous joke on rmweb about Hornby duplicating models, but the truth is quite different. 

Hornby was already in a bad financial situation and they're only just getting out of it. When you're committed to it you've already spend a good few thousand pounds. Would you rather scrap it or go ahead and get some money from it. 

Hornby have in the past dropped projects when other manufacturers announces theirs. The BR 9F and one of the GWR Pannier tanks. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, daltonparva said:

I was thinking along the same lines. That loco class had a variety of liveries including a decorative pre-grouping scheme. And the original tooling is over 40 years old. 

There’s also the other ‘pug’ of the L&Y variety? Hornby inherited it from the original Dapol tooling and it’s one of the ones that hasn’t been reworked. the Terrier, Castle, and 61xx being examples of classes that have been recently retooled. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Just for info - the USATC S-160 has been in The Top 50 of The 00 Wishlist Poll since 2014.

It was overall top-voted item in 2019 (the last Poll to run).

As far as the 2019 Top 50 goes, readers might be interested that:

6 items have been announced;

4 of those 6 were in The Top 10;

2 of those were in Second and Third place - just a handful of votes behind the S-160.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

Honestly, where would we be without yourself and the team. Thanks once more Brian :) 

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Not a Wish List per se, but my musings on the more likely contenders to be picked up by manufactures. Most of these are not my interest anyway, any I put them in no particular order:

J69 0-6-0T (preserved)

J17 0-6-0 (preserved)

S160 2-8-0 (preserved)

120 dmu

E4 2-4-0 (preserved)

D78/230/484 etc mu

Networker (365) emu

Electrostar (387 etc) emu

302 emu

303 emu

304 305 emu

309 emu

310 emu

313 emu

317 emu

I drew this up a couple of weeks ago I did have a 15xx on it as well, but we know what happened there!

Stewart

There are a lot of AC Electric EMUs on there. I would like to see them but there are careful considerations.

Most are 4 car units, some are 3, 1 or 2 are 2.

4 car units sell for a lot of money now. How well did Bachmann's 350 sell? Only they will really know.

A versatile model may be useful in this respect. 304, 305 & 308 were broadly similar. 302 & 307 had different ends but were the sides similar? Could some of the tooling be used to provide different variants?

The Mk3 based EMUs would be another option but would mainly be aimed at a different time frame; 317-322 had similarities with their body sides & bogies but several different cabs.

Producing these is a lot riskier than a new express loco & Hornby are trying to recover from a few years of big losses so they are likely to pick safer items.

The APTs & Pendolinos have a glamour which semi-fast & local EMUs don't share. Unlike a tank locos & wagons, you can't really sell them individually for the buyer to collect a component at a time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Neil said:

Looking at the suggestions/predictions offered so far it seems that a lot are for re-tooled versions of what are perfectly acceptable models.  I'd argue that if you can't improve on an already decent offering to bring it up to the standard you wish for then you probably don't have the skills to build a layout to the same standard and we end up with a lovely loco let down by its surroundings.

One of the problems is many of the popular classes don't have modern kits available so you are stuck with either RTR or scratchbuilding.

Prime example is the 14XX. No kit available since the ancient K's kit and a rarer than hens teeth Perseverance kit.

Both the RTR versions are poor. You can update them using third party parts, but should that really be necessary with one of the most popular locomotives which has four preserved examples and is essential for many modellers?

Jason

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrTea said:

Been thinking about these suggestions. Before the W1 was announced I’d have thought ‘Great Bear’ was very unlikely from the red box guys. But now I’m less sure. It just has the problem of not lasting that long, only having 1 name/number and not much in the way of livery variants. I would have thought that, although it was a one-off, the LNER Hush Hush is distinctive enough - as well as being a Gresley design - to do well from a sales point of view. I wouldn’t mind betting Hornby have sold way more A4s than GWR Kings over the years?

Not lasting long?

1908 until 1924. Sixteen years is longer than almost all the BR Standards and most of the prototype diesels.

Jason

What I'm hoping for, and what I expect, are two very different things. I'm hoping for a J21, a B16, a D20, an E4 (ex-GE of course) or a J69. But I suspect out of all of those the Buckjumper is the only one that has a chance this year. I think Hornby may have been put off small anonymous black 0-6-0s by the relative commercial failure of the J15 and the 700, which is a shame. That said, the J36 seems to have sold well.

What I predict is that they'll do another big, headline-grabbing one-off steam loco that will inevitably sell out on pre order. My guess would be the LMS Turbomotive, with the added bonus that it shares quite a few parts with the big LMS locomotives they've already done. The Great Bear is another possibility, but I'm not sure it has the same wow factor as the Turbomotive. Even the name sounds like something from a cheesy 80s sci-fi show!

I predict they'll be no more than three locomotives this year and at least one of them will be a re-tool of a smaller locomotive they've already done. I think the Caley Pug is a good shout, especially if they tool for the NBR and industrial versions as well.

That leaves one more locomotive, which I reckon will be a BR Standard of some kind. Not a 9F- I'm not sure where all that speculation has come from, but surely that would be an extremely risky commercial proposition given all the recent Bachmann and "Railroad Plus" ones kicking around? I think it will be the Clan, they make loads on eBay, and I'm sure there's tons of demand. All the other major Pacific classes and many of the minor ones are now widely available, excluding one-offs I think it's just the A2/3s and the Raven A2s now??

As for coaching stock, I wouldn't be surprised to see the LNER Coronation/Silver Jubilee sets and the MK4s already mentioned. In fact I think MK4s are inevitable, I would be shocked if they didn't announce them. What is the point of retooling the 91 otherwise?

(*Whilst I would love a Raven A2, and I'd never say never, I do think it's an exceedingly unlikely 100/1 outside bet.)

• Like 5