2021 hopes

Hilux5972

12 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

But we are talking about announcements, not finished articles.

If they wait until it's finished then manufacturer XYZ takes it.

But Hornby now also only try to announce stuff that is within 12 to maybe 18 months of arrival - announcing a Class 69 now would be pushing that given that the real thing has yet to be finished.

Besides, a simple agreement with whoever is making the Class 69 can thwart any other attempts (as bad as this new world of IP rights can be for modellers).

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, DutyDruid said:

Another one that has occurred since I put my original wish list up: A Bulleid Raworth Booster Loco, There is a resin kit available but it didn't strike me as a brilliant representation and needed a lot of work to get it looking halfway decent.

It's about time Hornby made  a  model of the Hornbies. ;-)  CC1/20001 and CC2/20002 could be made from the same tool.  No less than 8 different liveries too! :-)

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, RyanN91 said:

The 2021 Hornby catalogue now has a ref number which is R8160 and the  International copy which is HP2021.  As Listed on Gauge Master.

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/catalogsearch/result/?q=Hornby+2021

I'll get it in the shops with a cheap issue of the magazine....

Jason

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mdvle said:

But Hornby now also only try to announce stuff that is within 12 to maybe 18 months of arrival - announcing a Class 69 now would be pushing that given that the real thing has yet to be finished.

Besides, a simple agreement with whoever is making the Class 69 can thwart any other attempts (as bad as this new world of IP rights can be for modellers).

But isn't that for Hornby or whoever to do behind the scenes?

This is a thread to have a bit of fun in trying to guess what they will make or announce. Not a discussion about policy, manufacturing or business practices.

If people want to guess at Class 69s, Groudle Glen 2-4-0Ts or even Galloping Alice that's up to them.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'll get it in the shops with a cheap issue of the magazine....

Jason

I always get mine in the shops as well. I was only pointing out they are now listed with some online retailers with a catalogue number.:D

To add my two penneth worth to this, easy wins as a modern modeller:

• New Mk4s and DVT, covering all liveries for the 91 releases and variations thereof 
  • Maybe further class 91 liveries
  • Modern DBSO (DRS/Network Rail)
  • HST liveries from the early privatisation era
  • TPE 802 for those who want it
  • plus rereleases of the mk2fs in various liveries, network rail and RTC coaches

For the wishful thinking in me:

• Electrostar (classes 375/377/387)
  • Proper Eurostar centre coaches including the catering vehicles 
  • Greater Anglia FLIRT class 755 (I’ll get my coat for that one)

Finally, a big fan of their Terriers, so keep ‘em coming!

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Daveinnorfolk said:

1) More era 1. Rocket was massively popular. Coaches are now available. Lion would be a good seller with titfield tie in, as would Locomotion but I guess this might be costly.

Era 1 has got a lot going for it; pretty locos and stock, can be fitted into smaller layouts, lots of character.  The post-Patentee world of Jennies, Burys, Cramptons, Bloomers, Stephenson long boilers, and the like is probably easier to produce, as the locos are a little larger and mostly outside framed.  That said, the inside motion was pretty visible on some of them...

6 hours ago, Invicta said:

I also wouldn’t be surprised if there’s another small industrial logo as these have been good sellers for the last few years, maybe a Bagnall 0-4-0ST or another 0-4-0 diesel shunter?

I wouldn't either, but not from Hornby as it would be competing with the Pecketts.  Bagnalls, RSH, and Hunslets are open goals, and Bachmann have yet to dip their toes in this particular water.  There are also plenty of diesel industrials to go for, but again Hornby have nailed their colours to the Sentinel mast and I can't see them changing from that.

Another possiblilty might be the NCB's Kitson 0-6-2Ts, which worked passenger trains over BR metals.  Which leads me on to the untapped field of South Wales locos; Wills made a go of the U1 kit so there is market traction in this, especially with the locos that survived into BR days, mostly rebuilt.  Few strayed away from South Wales, but they certainly drifted away from their original railways within that area.  Doesn't sound like a Hornby job to me, though; these, if they ever are provided RTR, will likely come from commissioners.

If H could devise a very good slow running chassis for the W4 Peckett, this opens the door to retooled chassi along similar lines to improve the Nielson and L & Y pugs, and come to that the Holden and the Dowlais 0-4-0 and the Bagnall diesel as well.  But, with the exception of the L & Y pug, these locos  are a pivotal part of the company's starter set/kids marketing; we 'serious' modellers may be too pernickety to put up with the jerky running. oversize driving wheels, and crude motion but they are cheap as chips to produce and good sellers, a good few to people who will become 'serious' modellers in time.  I started with a Rovex Black Princess, hardly a scale model of anything, and may yet one day develop into a 'proper' modeller.  So it may not be a good thing either for Hornby or the hobby in general to improve these locos to modern standards.

The L & Y pug is in a slightly different category.  It originated with Dapol and was never intended as a kiddie's or starter set loco, but is let down by poor slow running and less than smooth stopping and starting, a serious problem for a pug.  This loco could benefit from a retooled W4 type chassis.

As interesting as what Hornby announce or eventually produce is going to be what is dropped from the catalogue.  I am doubtful that more than one starter 0-4-0 needs to be produced at all, and I would not be surprised to see the outside cylinder models, Smokey Joe and the Holden (sounds like an 80s American cop series), dropped.  The JInty based 08 and 2721 are probably well past their sell by as well and I doubt we will see them again, unless there is stock to dispose of in train sets. 

Despite commets that there are already too many panniers about, there is no RTR 54xx or 74xx, or decent 2721.  Nobody has provided the 64xx, or any of the 57xx/8750 variants, without top feeds, and there is, I feel, some demand for the earlier panniers which were converted from saddle tanks.  Stafford Road do saddle tank 3D body prints for 2721/1854, but there were other saddle and pannier tanks that lasted post grouping and one or two saddles scraped into 1950, though not in BR liveries, to work specific goods branches.

The problem with these locos from an RTR producer's pov is the variety.  There were several classes which you might subdivide into 3 general types, a small with 4'1" drivers and a medium and a large, both with 4'7" drivers, but there was a good bit of crossover, some locos built as side tanks, and because of the length of time over which they were produced, and rebuilt with Belpaire fireboxes into pannier tanks, and in some cases further rebuilt with round topped firebox boilers as saddle tanks. with weatherboards, half cabs, full cabs and all sorts of differences between individual locos or the same loco at different times, inside frames, outside frames... you get the gist, an accurate model of one at a specific time will probably be wrong for any other of the same class or even the same loco at an earlier or later period.  The 'classes' were more like general groupings than what we understand by a class, a number of locos built to the same design.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Downer said:

S160 - great if you’re modelling the war years, but how many people are doing that?

That’s true. There probably aren’t many but it does seem like a fairly big gap in the RTR models available given what other models we already have. 

And how many of us can honestly say we’ve NEVER bought something that didn’t fit our chosen era or region (particularly if we liked the look of it)?!

Come to think of it, how many Hornby purchasers have a set era or region they model?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I’ll throw my hat in the ring with only 1 suggestion as it’s the only one I have any real knowledge about. 
The SR Maunsell U class long lived, got everywhere and like the Bulleid Light pacifics could be justified on pretty much any SR layout, multiple liveries, 4 preserved and one of the last maunsell classes in large numbers left to do. Hornby seemed to have mined the maunsell family of locomotives for all its worth. It also scored high repeatedly on the wish list. 

Big James

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

47 minutes ago, scots region said:

That would definitely all have my wallet appealing for asylum. 

That said, with the A2/1-2 molds, maybe a surprise and a full spec Peppercorn A1?   

The A1 could be very likely. The Bachmann model is good but 20years old. I'm sure there's many ways to improve it. With the other ER Pacifics including tornado's chassis it could be an easy win. The Hornby Tornado chassis could pull a house down too.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MrTea said:

That’s true. There probably aren’t many but it does seem like a fairly big gap in the RTR models available given what other models we already have. 

And how many of us can honestly say we’ve NEVER bought something that didn’t fit our chosen era or region (particularly if we liked the look of it)?!

Come to think of it, how many Hornby purchasers have a set era or region they model?

Ehh.... sheepishly tugs collar 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Downer said:

S160 - great if you’re modelling the war years, but how many people are doing that?

One of the preserved examples made it into BR black a few years back, didn’t it? I’d be more than happy to apply a little bit of Rule 1 for a model of that! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I’d love to see a Maunsell U, the big issue with this loco being that there are 2 distinct types within the class - the high running plate locos and the rebuilt Rivers with a lower running plate, more noticeable splashes and a slightly different type of cab. Also 3 tender variations at least!

A Urie S15 would be nice, after all the chassis and tender already exist within the superb model of the Maunsell loco.

My other steam choice would be a Brighton K (faint hope there, methinks).

4COR/4SUB - definitely!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I would hope for another run of Romanian Class 56s, the original batch is quite sought after and some great modelling potential across blue, triple grey or newer liveries! 

I would also hope for much greater research and better execution on their triple grey liveries in any new releases please - for some years now their Rail grey has been too yellowy, the Flint Grey too dark and the roof grey, well sometimes black! Hornby used to get it right back in the mid-2000s - perhaps the staff involved have moved on to pastures new. Let us modellers know if you need any help Hornby, we like looking at these things! 

Finally I’d go pie in the sky and hope for an Electrostar of some form! It’s a good 21 years since LTS and Connex got theirs and the Electrostar EMU has since gone onto be what I believe is the largest family of units in the UK, if that’s correct? 

Mainly in reality I just hope we’re not all too disappointed come next January when we realise it’s just a rehash of old tool toy items brought out to try pinching share of wallet on some of the more dynamic newcomers boldly investing big in RTR..! :lol:

I forecast some ex-Lima DRS Class 20s masquerading as Class 20/3s, bodged ‘modern’ Lima Class 37/6s, the old Class 59s making a comeback, ‘80s-90s Limby Class 47s ahoy ahead of Heljan’s release, oh and maybe the price of an HAA hopper suddenly dropping mysteriously! :lol: :jester:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Big James said:

I’ll throw my hat in the ring with only 1 suggestion as it’s the only one I have any real knowledge about. 
The SR Maunsell U class long lived, got everywhere and like the Bulleid Light pacifics could be justified on pretty much any SR layout, multiple liveries, 4 preserved and one of the last maunsell classes in large numbers left to do. Hornby seemed to have mined the maunsell family of locomotives for all its worth. It also scored high repeatedly on the wish list. 

Big James

I've also pointed the other Maunsell loco that really needs to be done - the Z

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

S.160  -  I do not why there is such enthusiasm as they nearly all just served on the continent, whilst a few worked in the UK on mainlines only in wartime, so even wartime layouts will need several just sitting in a siding to be accurate (maybe an unpowered option).

However, if people will buy them then it will be worth Hornby producing them.

Edited by phil gollin

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I've also pointed the other Maunsell loco that really needs to be done - the Z

The W would be of far wider use, IMHO. Prior to their concentration in Exeter, the Z class were purely shunters.

However, despite all the possible pitfalls, the wide-ranging U provides greater sales potential than either.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The W would be of far wider use, IMHO. Prior to their concentration in Exeter, the Z class were purely shunters.

However, despite all the possible pitfalls, the wide-ranging U provides greater sales potential than either.

John

The U-Boats are a good choice, but (after the 4-COR) I believe that the K class would be a better choice as it has such different looks from other Southern locos.

• Like 2