2021 hopes

Hilux5972

In fitting with some other thoughts for retooling of Airfix models. I'd like to see new tooling of the 'B' sets, the Hornby suburbans look great but are not correct for the branchline sets. The Comet kit has the wrong roof profile as well so it's a good gap in the market.

It fits in with Hornby's current performance of retooling sets for each of the Big Four. Given that these have primarily been mainline sets so far it seems like a missed opportunity to target those of us with smaller layouts which can't take 4+ carriage trains.

• Like 6

On 05/12/2020 at 08:36, Kris said:

Something to build on the success of Rocket. Possibly Lion and maybe some wagons. 

You beat me to it. That's exactly what I was thinking. 

Also I think:

J21 or B16 (probably the former)
New tooled Mk. 4 and Mk. 4 DVT
Southern Q-class
Possible A4 style P2

A little bit of defending borders again perhaps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, DRoe96 said:

In fitting with some other thoughts for retooling of Airfix models. I'd like to see new tooling of the 'B' sets, the Hornby suburbans look great but are not correct for the branchline sets. The Comet kit has the wrong roof profile as well so it's a good gap in the market.

It fits in with Hornby's current performance of retooling sets for each of the Big Four. Given that these have primarily been mainline sets so far it seems like a missed opportunity to target those of us with smaller layouts which can't take 4+ carriage trains.

Me too! Every year I hope for a retooled E140 B set - I'd take two pairs like a shot and I'm sure many others would willing upgrade their old Airfix era ones.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I do. But I have a few set eras and regions.  :prankster:

My reasoning is if you model a GWR station in 1930 then you should have the correct locomotives and stock for that layout. 

If you want to run extras when you feel like then what's the problem? Most of us aren't exhibiting our layouts. Most of us aren't going to put random locomotives on the layout if we ever get selected for the Railway Of The Month or whatever they call it in the other magazines.

The hobby is meant to be fun, not one for wearing a hairshirt. Unless you want to wear one. Plenty do.

I believe that even Little Bytham has had GWR locomotives running around it recently. I don't think anyone is shouting "heresy" from the rooftops.

Jason

True Jason, I know a number of "finescale" (whatever that means)  modellers who are prepared to die in a ditch over what runs on their exhibition layout, but their home layout?  That's a completely story...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DRoe96 said:

And neglecting to retool the inherited Siphons (Airfix and Lima) for so long represents an even greater wasted asset IMHO.

Some worked off the GWR even before 1948 and they could turn up pretty much anywhere in BR days.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

Is my memory failing me or did I used to log on at midnight on 24 December or New Years day to get the Hornby announcements in the past, 1000 on 6th December far more civilised especially as I'll be working g from home that day.  Mind there was something exciting about a midnight launch.  As others have said I tend to go to RMWEB as I find it easier to see the announcements that way.

The two missing DMUs for my mid 80s Scottish layout were 104s and 120s.  I just bought an already built excellent kit version of a 104 a month   or so before Heljan announced their 104, (to be fair the seller did say there was a rumour Heljan may  be doing one) so a 120 DMU in blue grey but only if it comes with a 101 middle car for my wishlist (very 1980 ScotRail) surely that's not too much to ask for!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, nathan70000 said:

Off the top of my head, there have been six "eras" on the ECML since the Class 91s were introduced:

Intercity Swallow: 1991-1997

GNER: 1997-2007

National Express: 2007-2009

East Coast (effectively nationalised): 2009-2015

Virgin Trains: 2015-2018

LNER: 2018-present

So if you're modelling the modern day ECML you have to choose your year very carefully! IIRC they were all rebranded very quickly so you wouldn't have seen an East Coast set hanging around in to summer 2016 for instance.

Problem with the 91 (and by extension any ideas of retooled Mk4s) is their operating sphere is so tightly restricted. How many people are modelling the ECML since 1988, and of those how many will get away with two locos/rakes to represent a transitional period let alone more? And yes, I am choosing to ignore the "I will buy anything I like the look of/I buy stuff just for the sake of buying stuff" markets!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having finally got my hands on an unbuilt DJH Raven Pacific kit from the Bay of E to make up for display, that must mean that they are now a shoo-in for the Hornby programme in the next couple of years up to 2025, if not 2021 (hedging my predictive bets there you see.)

But seriously, the Raven A2s might not be such a long-shot - big, impressive, dare I say "steampunk" in appearance, five names to choose from, NER or LNER livery, worked the full length of the ECML, two livery options, plus a rebuilt option using the A1 boiler.  And if you read real history, as opposed to the opinions of 1970s enthusiasts uncritically parroting received wisdom, they were pretty decent engines - just not ones with long-term development potential, which frankly was the case for most classes of steam locos.  In an ideal world we'd have had 2401 for Hull's year as City of Culture, and then a release of the other names as a limited edition over several years!

As for the rest of my hopes for Hornby, as always it's that they finally take a serious look at N.  (Ho, ho, ho.)

RT

Edited by RichardT
Remove stray comma
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yes - but you must not mention 'T** G**** ***r' or the R*** R***** tu*** loco, or T**i***t c*****s because we'll all be drowned in froth if you do ;)

Unless you know something we don't.....   :whistle:

I have to wave the flag for the steamy southern end of the ECML.  Next year will see the 100th birthday of the N2, which hopefully will be back in steam soon.  The first Hornby-Dublo model was made more than 80 years ago and there was even a GW liveried variant!  Maybe a set of quad-arts to go with it? 

0-6-0s currently seem to be popular and the J6 has featured strongly in polls for a number of years.   

An alternative coach shout would be a Silver Jubilee or Coronation set to partner the A4.  

Wagons:  another traditional Hornby model was the bogie brick wagon, whilst it would be good to see a mainstream manufacturer produce the various RCH open wagons, which could appear in numerous different liveries.  

Further forward, the FS centenary will surely precipitate special editions if not an updated model, and if there is no proprietary V2 release next year....

• Like 4

The Cuneo painting of Evening Star was used for the 1971 Tri-ang Hornby Catalogue Cover...

913068894_TH1971CatCoverlastTH.jpg.3b061d0750f3d843b11c9baac669ec4e.jpg

1971. "Evening Star". Sketched at Southall Depot. Painted October1963.

The painting shows the loco on a goods train working.

Private Commission.

Painting reproduced by Rovex "by permission of Mr. John S. Haworth."

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Information added from my research...
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DRoe96 said:

Good point, but I doubt that H are going to be in any hurry to retool the old E129 B set.  Before the introduction of the 57' Collett suburbans, I used to post on threads such as this one in the hope of getting any GWR non-gangwayed passenger stock that wasn't another bl**dy B set, as these had become a bit of hackneyed cliche on branch layouts.  B sets certainly worked on branches, but were used on main line local stoppers to just as great an extent, and there are several types. 

The problem with GW non-gangwayed coaches from the point of view of an RTR manufacturer is the many different lengths of underframes used.  The E129 and E140 bow ended sets are a case in point; they cannot use the suburban 57' underframe as they were 60 footers.  Later Collett non-gangwayed stock had all sorts of different underframe lengths because they were based on arrangements of GWR standard size compartments. 

There is a 57' Collett B set, the E147.  This has a completely different underframe with 9' Collett bogies, and flat ends, so cannot be produced as a 'version' of the existing Hornby Collett bowended suburbans.  I would love to see this type released as an RTR model, as it would save me having to build the Comet kit, but think it is unlikely from Hornby; the marketing doesn't make sense for them.  If you can buy a 2 coach B set, who's going to buy a 4 coach suburban set?

That said, Hornby have caught me by surprise before, notably with the Collett 57' suburbans.  I could not resist buying a couple for Cwmdimbath despite their not being South Wales suburbans (Comet do these)  or that the South Wales suburbans of that style ran in 5 coach sets BT/T/C/T/BT, with different brake and composite layouts.  These Hornby suburbans are easily the best quality coaches on the layout, only a Bachmann A38 auto trailer coming close, and that is a little late for my period...

There is another B set, the E116, which was made by K's as a plastic kit and turns up on 'Bay sometimes.  I have one of these, and they can be worked up into a decent 'layout' model.  They have fishbelly bogies, but again, they are not correct for South Wales, being allocated to the Bristol Division. 

John Dunsignalling mentioned Siphons, another good candidate for retooling and I'd definitely be in the market for those.  The Lima G is not a bad body tooling but the underframe is risible and bogies incorrect; a retool would address that and probably provide gaps in the ventilators and more separate handrail detail.  The old Mainline outside framed G is a much better model, but could also be brought up to scratch in the same way, along with the H.  The other contender is the old Airfix Centenary stock, which might be a better seller than it was if modelled as modified (by Hawksworth) with sliding ventilator windows replacing the Beclawats; they spent most of their working lives in this condition.  Problem is that really one needs to go beyond the Airfix brake third and composite format.

And, for the LMS types, how about a retooling of the period 1 gangwayed coaches that Mainline used to do?

And please, Hornby, a 16ton mineral on the correct wheelbase!  Dapol as well if you're reading this.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone yet mentioned a retool for Hornby's most venerable model. Rapidly approaching its 60th birthday with relatively little having changed in that time.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the Southern gangwayed bogie luggage van.

John

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Ooooohhhh...

Now you mention it!

The loco shed scene has been moved “backwards “, more behind the loco!

Its almost like Evening Star has moved forwards!

A loco detection system would let Railmaster know exactly where that 9F is...

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

11 hours ago, Brocp said:

No they've never done one like this. Tender has the side sheets cut down, the cowling over the front of the coal space removed and the side skirts on the bottom of the tank sides/over the chassis. This is the type of tender i want to see on a Hornby wartime black streamliner, as this is how the tenders were during this period.

images (13).jpeg

That's just a bog standard de streamlined Duchess tender. Type 1. Virtually every Duchess Hornby has made has got one.

Different types of Duchess tender.

1 Welded tender with streamlining removed, high front cut-out, twin water fillers, rear ladder, standard axleboxes.

2 Welded tender with low front cut-out, standard axleboxes and rear steps on the frames, external tubular air vents. Built for the conventional locomotives. Five built.

3 Part welded tender with high front cut-out, short spring hangers and rear steps on the frames.

4 Part welded tender with low front cut-out, roller bearing axleboxes, rear steps on the frames and external tubular air vents.

There was only three type 3 and two type 4.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, micklner said:

Lasted about a year in UK.

Cant see it being a big seller. Hornby are driven by £££$$$ nothing else in the real world, otherwise simply not viable option for them.

https://www.lner.info/locos/O/s160.php

But there are eight in the UK. The K&WVR example has been running since the 1970s and was even in a few films.

More people have probably been behind one than know what a B16 is. I didn't see any howls of protest when they announced the original condition W1 which had an even shorter lifespan and probably nobody alive has seen. 

If they are such a bad choice then why did DJH make one. And Roco/Fleishmann. The only problem is they made theirs in H0. Now's the chance to get one in 00.

I reckon they will sell well. 

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

But there are eight in the UK. The K&WVR example has been running since the 1970s and was even in a few films.

More people have probably been behind one than know what a B16 is. I didn't see any howls of protest when they announced the original condition W1 which had an even shorter lifespan and probably nobody alive has seen. 

If they are such a bad choice then why did DJH make one. And Roco/Fleishmann. The only problem is they made theirs in H0. Now's the chance to get one in 00.

I reckon they will sell well. 

Jason

How many people model preserved lines

Whats a B16 to do with a S160

DJH made one for the European market thats is why it HO

The only one who will know if they sell is Hornby . As said their choice.

I model the LNER , I doubt very much if I would buy one, too smaller time frame for useage, only used for 12 months in the middle of the war , not a popular period of modelling either.

If they were cheap and they wont be !! then who knows.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For anyone not modelling 1943/44, the S160 is a modern-image model suited to heritage railways (prototypical or imaginary) which is how some modellers occasionally run their "serious" layouts for light relief besides those who aren't too serious to begin with...

So, probably popular enough to get by, but maybe not a blockbuster.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I'm expecting Hornby to announce some Mk4 coaches and DVTs in liveries to match the announced Class 91s. I suspect they would have tried to include those this year but probably ran out of capacity.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were to see a Class 86/2 appear too - there must be a lot of commonality with the Class 87 so wouldn't be surprised if it was partially catered for as that was tooled up. Would they possibly re-tool their Class 110 knowing how they like to defend 'their' models with the Heljan Class 104 being tooled up?

It'd be nice to see Railfreight Metals Class 60, BR Blue Class 56 and Class 31/4s in BR Blue and the one off 31413 Severn Valley Railway one-off livery. A Mk1 BFK would have to be a good shout, that hasn't been modelled before.

• Like 1