2021 hopes

Hilux5972

We'll be lucky to have a Hornby releasing models in 2021 - they are suspending non-UK orders due to Brexit, right at the peak of the xmas market. And even the Independent are reporting it!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit/brexit-news-latest-boris-johnson-live-eu-b1774121.html

How wonderful - our hobby that many of us use to escape the pains the tribulations of the real world (and boy there are a lot at the moment), is being wrecked by those very real world events. Great (sarcastic)!

• Like 4

In terms of "early" AC locos, the AL1/81 has three livery options and of course has a long history with both Hornby-Dublo and Triang, so would be a good historical tie in, the AL3/83 actually has four livery options (early blue, early blue with yellow bib, rail blue and surprisingly Inter City Executive as a carriage pilot at Euston) and had a fairly long lifespan, and even the AL4/84, which were a bit of a lemon operationally and had the shortest operating life, one is in the National Collection which opens up an NRM tie in, plus one was rebuilt as a mobile load bank in the ever popular research red and blue.

So, if - and it's a big if - Hornby want to do a historic sparky, an AL1 would have great historic resonance, the 83 is a nice, attractive loco and with a superbly restored example to crawl over, and the lemony 84s have an NRM and Research tie in.

I'd offer ritual sacrifice for any of them.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

We'll be lucky to have a Hornby releasing models in 2021 - they are suspending non-UK orders due to Brexit, right at the peak of the xmas market. And even the Independent are reporting it!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit/brexit-news-latest-boris-johnson-live-eu-b1774121.html

How wonderful - our hobby that many of us use to escape the pains the tribulations of the real world (and boy there are a lot at the moment), is being wrecked by those very real world events. Great (sarcastic)!

I suspect suspending orders is worth less than the publicity such a story generates, plus it makes it easier on staff over christmas. I am find this year everyone is winding down a week earlier than normal.. I reckon next week is going to be very quiet.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Silverfox make the 74...  very nice rtr model.

DJM were supposed to have been doing one of those - they announced it at our show (Fareham) at about the time their 71 hit the streets.

Anyone know what happened to it with the demise of DJM?

37 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I suspect suspending orders is worth less than the publicity such a story generates, plus it makes it easier on staff over christmas. I am find this year everyone is winding down a week earlier than normal.. I reckon next week is going to be very quiet.

I agree.  This news story is a non-story using the brand’s high profile to place a story turning something you do anyway into a story.  It’s smart, free advertising...

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Clearwater said:

I agree.  This news story is a non-story using the brand’s high profile to place a story turning something you do anyway into a story.  It’s smart, free advertising...

Eh? how many firms stop taking orders over Xmas these days? It's because nobody knows what our trading terms will be with the EU in 4 weeks' time!

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Eh? how many firms stop taking orders over Xmas these days? It's because nobody knows what our trading terms will be with the EU in 4 weeks' time!

lol.  Whatever you think of brexit, orders will be made in the new year.  

Businesses all know what they will be doing.  It’s either x on wto terms or y on single market terms.  They’ll have a plan for each and be ready to enact.  they’ll have made that plan a while ago.  

Hornby is an extremely small entity but with a disproportionate public profile.  It has extremely high brand recognition.  Making the statement they did has been done deliberately to garner publicity aka free advertising.  The fact it ties in with a traditional close period is helpful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

58 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

One thing covid has taught me is to let sensational reporting and unfounded opinions pass me by, though granted, its not always easy.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, DutyDruid said:

DJM were supposed to have been doing one of those - they announced it at our show (Fareham) at about the time their 71 hit the streets.

I don't recall reading any indications it went beyond vapourware happy to be proved wrong as I'd like a couple (if better engineered than the 71)

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, DutyDruid said:

About as much as what happened before the demise.

if you want a class 74, I reccomend Silverfox.

£150 painted, rtr on a trimmed Hornby class 90 chassis but with class 74 side frames / underbody chassis

or £47.50 for all the bits and do it yourself, and source your own chassis.

http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/class-74-bo-bo-british-rail-crewe-new-2/

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

if you want a class 74, I reccomend Silverfox.

Agree.   I've built their kit of the Bulleid 10203 diesel (in fact I think I had the last one they prepped before the tool got damaged) and it - along with a rake of Southern Pride Bulleid coaches in Blood and Custard - formed the basis of a trio of programmes I made for Model Railway TV.  The loco and rake still get rolled out when we take our big layout Soberton out to shows and get admiring comments.

The trouble with the 74 is that it is actually a tad too late for the period I model (at least as far as exhibitable layouts are concerned).

On the other hand, they do look rather nice, now, where did I put my modeller's licence...  ;)

• RMweb Premium

Interesting...... 27 pages of froth and yet there is still 2 1/2 weeks to go until Hornby make their announcement.

On 13/12/2020 at 17:47, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

I have detailed below what items have been announced since we published the results of The 00 Wishlist Poll 2019 - the list might indicate some gaps that need filling. They are in category order as appearing in The Poll.

2 GWR Locos

2 SR Locos

1 LMS Locos

4 LNER Locos

1 BR Standard Locos

3 Gas Turbine, Diesel & Electric Locos

1 Railbuses, Railcars & DMUs

1 EMUs

0 GWR Coaches (and 0 in 2018)

0 SR Coaches 

1 LMS Coaches 

0 LNER Coaches (and 0 in 2018)

1 BR Coaches

0 Non-passenger Carrying Coaching Stock (NPCCS) (and 0 in 2018)

1 Freight Stock Pre-1923 

0 Freight Stock 1923-1947 

1 Freight Stock 1948-1963 

4 Freight Stock 1964-current 

0 General Railway Service - Steam Era

0 General Railway Service - Post-steam Era 

Additionally, Rocket was announced from The Quirky Poll.

All the best

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

In scrolling through the pages since Brian added these details, I was surprised no one made a direct comment about it.

Obviously my area is GWR steam, so looking at the numbers above, it’s interesting to see that 2 x GWR locos have been announced since the Poll.

The 2021 range is likely to see further GWR 2-6-2T 61xx tanks, maybe this year they might announce a replacement for their 2721 Pannier tank. It shouldn’t dilute the Prairie market  too much and is clearly overdue.

Although my money would still be on a new Saint and I’m surprised it hasn’t already been done.

Regarding carriages: Full brake and Restaurant carriages are a good bet. As an outside possibility, I could see the ex-Airfix auto coach going to Railroad, with a new GWR version released into the main range.

Others have suggested Siphons, which clearly with a new Collett full brake would do very well.

18 hours ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

Saint Class with toplight coaches... Calling it right now

I’ve thought Hornby would have done the Saint before, I wonder why they haven’t.

Much as I would love to see a rake of Toplights, I can’t see Hornby doing them at this stage, particularly given they have two newIsh ranges of GWR carriages which are ripe for further exploiting yet.

Bachmann would be a better bet for Toplights / or at least a new range of GWR carriages.

15 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I would also put money on the Saint. It's relevant, and it's scan-able. It covered several decades, and had a couple of facelifts in that time. I think I'm right when I say that they ran with different tenders, to boot.   (Cue Miss Prism ). A Bulldog would be nice, and Bachmann have very nearly covered that, but not yet. 

Still, we've got a few months yet. Patience folks, patience!

If you hear an almighty thud during the coming year, it'll be me falling off a chair when someone announces a 26xx Aberdare...

Cheers,

Ian.

I agree about the Saint and Bulldog, I too reckon Bachmann will cover the latter. 2021 announcements might be interesting for Blue box as they seem to be catching up with their long outstanding projects....

As a wild card.... maybe Hornby will announce “The Great Bear” the Great Westerns only pacific.... they do after all like big locos.

All will be revealed on 5th January....

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Timing for the Saint (which I think is likely) will probably have been influenced by the new-build loco. 

The last of the class went in 1953, so one BR livery option disappears and Hornby will want to include the "preserved" one to make up for that. They'll have timed their development work to ensure theirs wasn't finished first in order to avoid any "unforced errors". Be nice if they tool to allow it to be produced as an Atlantic, too.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Hawksworth County "redeveloped" for the main range whilst keeping the ex-Dapol one in Railroad. Why go head to head on a Manor when they can have a clear run at a 10xx? It's probably been on Hornby's "sooner or later" list for a decade anyway.

The Manor poses a double risk in terms of duplication. The Dapol one we know about, but consider the possibility that Bachmann finally woke up and decided to re-do theirs maybe four years ago, so would be past the point of no return by now. A popular loco, but would the market support three without triggering a discounting war that prevented any of the rivals making a decent return from it?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

As a wild card.... maybe Hornby will announce “The Great Bear” the Great Westerns only pacific.... they do after all like big locos.

The more I think about it, the less surprised I would be about that one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Dick Turpin said:

The more I think about it, the less surprised I would be about that one.

I would say it would be more likely to come from Heljan or Rapido.... In any event, a Great Bear would be very nice - although very limited in terms of timescales and liveries.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Timing for the Saint (which I think is likely) will probably have been influenced by the new-build loco. 

The last of the class went in 1953, so one BR livery option disappears and Hornby will want to include the "preserved" one to make up for that. They'll have timed their development work to ensure theirs wasn't finished first in order to avoid any "unforced errors". Be nice if they tool to allow it to be produced as an Atlantic, too.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Hawksworth County "redeveloped" for the main range whilst keeping the ex-Dapol one in Railroad. Why go head to head on a Manor when they can have a clear run at a 10xx? It's probably been on Hornby's "sooner or later" list for a decade anyway.

The Manor poses a double risk in terms of duplication. The Dapol one we know about, but consider the possibility that Bachmann finally woke up and decided to re-do theirs maybe four years ago, so would be past the point of no return by now. A popular loco, but would the market support three without triggering a discounting war that prevented any of the rivals making a decent return from it?

John

My guess is that Bachmann will announce the Manor and get it to market early next year.

Back on topic though a County loco would be good, although outside my time range. Hornby might have missed the boat a bit as it would have made sense to release at the same time as the hawkesworth carriages.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

Several Saints did carry BR livery, so are eminently suitable for late 40's/early 50's layouts.

48 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

A new-tooling Saint would go nicely with Hornbys "Star", and a version as an Atlantic could be interesting too, as Hornby have never had an Atlantic in their range.  Discounting the tinplate Atlantics that Binns Road Hornby produced, masquerading as 4-6-0s...

I should imagine that a 4-6-0 Saint would be first out if it materialised, an Atlantic following up if market conditions allowed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

Several Saints did carry BR livery, so are eminently suitable for late 40's/early 50's layouts.

Yes, but none survived long enough to receive the 1956 crest, so one less livery than ideal, commercially speaking.

No crest, BRITISH RAILWAYS, or early emblem are all possible though, at least in theory and subject to evidence. 

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

My guess is that Bachmann will announce the Manor and get it to market early next year.

Back on topic though a County loco would be good, although outside my time range. Hornby might have missed the boat a bit as it would have made sense to release at the same time as the hawkesworth carriages.

Maybe we can expect a re-run of them then?