2021 hopes

Hilux5972

18 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

Wasn't the generic 0-6-0 chassis made DCC ready a long time ago?

2 minutes ago, bigherb said:

Yes, the 2732 pannier tank was available with DCC fitted.

It wasn't quite DCC ready, it didn't have a socket, but the motor unit was prepared with a hard-wired decoder*, so it just slotted in instead of the non-DCC motor.  You could also get a "DCC" Jinty, produced in the same way, which I think was a concessions only edition**.

* The DCC'd motor was available as a spare for a while.

** Which indicates how long ago that was...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

Wasn't the generic 0-6-0 chassis made DCC ready a long time ago?

3 minutes ago, bigherb said:

Yes, the 2732 pannier tank was available with DCC fitted.

yes, they have done several locos using the generic chassis and a chip but as far as I am aware they are always soldered chips fitted during manufacturer, they haven't done one with a socket.  Prime example is the DCC starter set with a generic 08 and the generic steam loco (currently R1236M).  I had to take one of those to pieces on the counter one day and the chip was a solder job not a socket.

2 hours ago, delticfan said:

I’ld love to see home produced models instead of relying on Chinese factories. When will we cut ties with this dodgy country, never I suspect not in my lifetime probably.

Problem with that, i could see majority of people complaining about the cost of models then. Just ordered another German Roco steamer just north of €360 but is made is Austria though, but the higher price will have to be paid for UK built models.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, DutyDruid said:

yes, they have done several locos using the generic chassis and a chip but as far as I am aware they are always soldered chips fitted during manufacturer, they haven't done one with a socket.  Prime example is the DCC starter set with a generic 08 and the generic steam loco (currently R1236M).  I had to take one of those to pieces on the counter one day and the chip was a solder job not a socket.

They (the 0-6-0s) normally have a four pin socket. I have several failed ones which have been brought back to life after removing the chip, and joining the wires that come out of the plug.

Edited by exet1095
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Chris89 said:

Problem with that, i could see majority of people complaining about the cost of models then. Just ordered another German Roco steamer just north of €360 but is made is Austria though, but the higher price will have to be paid for UK built models.

As regards the 'Chinese Model' of production, and not commenting on the dodginess of that country which is largely a political/human rights/Tibet matter not affecting models except as a matter of principle for those uncomfortable buying Chinese produced goods, I suspect that the tie ins which the big companies have with Chinese production mean that we will not see a large scale return to home production any time soon.  It is still cost effective to produce in China with subcontractors, and the models are by and large excellent quality and value. 

That said, costs in China are rising, and model prices have doubled in the last few years.  Raw materials, factory rental and running costs, and in particular labour costs are continuing to rise and will continue to rise.  I have no real problem with this; Chinese workers are skilled and work hard to provide me with my desired models, and understandably they want, deserve, and should have nice things for their trouble.  But this means that the cost effectiveness of Chinese production is diminishing and will continue to diminish, and it is possible that in a few years or so new projects might be cheaper to produce here, so long as quality can be maintained (previous experience with UK made RTR suggests that it will not!).  China has provided problems for the other main player in terms of missing factory slots, factory fires, and closures, and this sort of thing exposes the weaknesses in dealing with people from a very different culture a very long way away.  Shipping delays such as the container jam at Felixtowe ahead of the Brexit deal/no deal are not the fault of the Chinese, but are an example of another level of fragility in the chain.

Chinese production of new toolings will become less attractive over time, and home production more so, unless (or even if) a new supply of skilled underpaid exploited workers is sourced, which I do not condone.  We complain about price increases, but have had it too good for too long at the expense of people unable to improve their situations; there are unpleasant aspects to the free market world economy and this will continue until there is a worldwide standard of minimum wages and working conditions that can be sensibly enforced; I do not believe this is possible without a world currency, and that ain't happening in my lifetime!

Ok, off topic a bit, but it's a dull Sunday avo and we're locked down, cut me some slack!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Chris89 said:

Are you sure? The last Roco model I purchased — an HOe ÖBB 2095 — had "made in VN" on the packaging. I suspect that means Vietnam not "Vienna Nord"…

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

As regards the 'Chinese Model' of production, and not commenting on the dodginess of that country which is largely a political/human rights/Tibet matter not affecting models except as a matter of principle for those uncomfortable buying Chinese produced goods, I suspect that the tie ins which the big companies have with Chinese production mean that we will not see a large scale return to home production any time soon.  It is still cost effective to produce in China with subcontractors, and the models are by and large excellent quality and value. 

That said, costs in China are rising, and model prices have doubled in the last few years.  Raw materials, factory rental and running costs, and in particular labour costs are continuing to rise and will continue to rise.  I have no real problem with this; Chinese workers are skilled and work hard to provide me with my desired models, and understandably they want, deserve, and should have nice things for their trouble.  But this means that the cost effectiveness of Chinese production is diminishing and will continue to diminish, and it is possible that in a few years or so new projects might be cheaper to produce here, so long as quality can be maintained (previous experience with UK made RTR suggests that it will not!).  China has provided problems for the other main player in terms of missing factory slots, factory fires, and closures, and this sort of thing exposes the weaknesses in dealing with people from a very different culture a very long way away.  Shipping delays such as the container jam at Felixtowe ahead of the Brexit deal/no deal are not the fault of the Chinese, but are an example of another level of fragility in the chain.

Chinese production of new toolings will become less attractive over time, and home production more so, unless (or even if) a new supply of skilled underpaid exploited workers is sourced, which I do not condone.  We complain about price increases, but have had it too good for too long at the expense of people unable to improve their situations; there are unpleasant aspects to the free market world economy and this will continue until there is a worldwide standard of minimum wages and working conditions that can be sensibly enforced; I do not believe this is possible without a world currency, and that ain't happening in my lifetime!

Ok, off topic a bit, but it's a dull Sunday avo and we're locked down, cut me some slack!

Hi Johnster,

You missed what the English* did to the Welsh.

* Under the direction of Scottish Rite Freemasonry**

** That was a joke should it require pointing out !!!

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

48 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Are you sure? The last Roco model I purchased — an HOe ÖBB 2095 — had "made in VN" on the packaging. I suspect that means Vietnam not "Vienna Nord"…

you would be right there, and I have heard that Vietnam might be the new China for a number of companies

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, DutyDruid said:

you would be right there, and I have heard that Vietnam might be the new China for a number of companies

For sure a former employer of mine was seriously looking at Vietnam back in 2006, I think some of my Pentax camera gear was made there ( not 100% sure) 

A cheap, sound-equipped Railroad 0-6-0 (preferably the Jinty or the J52, as they are by far the best models from that particular stable) would go down far better than a modern MU with younger modellers, I think. Moving parts, interesting sounds, and there are plenty of Jintys running on preserved lines as well as the J52 in the NRM. Preferably upgraded with NEM couplings.

I would really like more NER and GER origin locomotives but I don't expect any more for a while. The J69 would be a sure fire bet but I think they'll want to show a little love to other regions after a few LNER-centric years.

One minor wish for the 2021 announcements I have is a Stroudley Terrier in Isle of Wight Central livery. It's niche, yes, but it's a very pretty livery.

The other thing is I'd quite like them to run those retooled 3, 4, 5 and 7 plank wagons in pre-grouping and big four liveries. Over 70% of freight stock in the 1920s and 30s was four wheeled open wagons and whilst not strictly accurate, they would at least allow big, realistic looking trains to be built up fairly cheaply and quickly. I think they did an LSWR one this year but I'd love a few LNER and LMS ones.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Chris89 said:

Roco's website says otherwise - some stuff is done in Austria but all the labour intensive stuff is done in Slovakia and Romania.  So your expensive Roco steamer is likely still made in the EU, but mostly in the cheaper parts of the EU - which are likely still expensive compared to China.

(and Roco uses Vietnam for the cheaper products)

https://www.roco.cc/en/aboutus/locations/index.html

11 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

The English, under the direction of Scottish Rite Freemasony, did that to everybody, so we Welsh can take it personally (not that that stops us!).

Hey Johnster,

I've just had a thought, If the EU represents as a modern version of the Holy Roman Empire does this mean the the [English] Reformation was a form of the dreaded "B" word !?!?!

TRAINS-TRAINS, We must talk about TRAINS !

Gibbo.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 19/12/2020 at 19:38, The Johnster said:

I'm puzzled a little by requests for the WD 2-10-0, a very small class under BR and limited to a short haul iron ore traffic flow on the southern bank of the River Clyde in an area that nobody seems to have ever modelledl. 

And one that was sent south and spent nearly a year at Bidston (when I get around to finishing mine it will be 90763)

There were other trials, including workings off Old Oak Common, Doncaster and Ashford.

A misquote from Valentine:

Our Magnificent Generals, General Gordon and General Booth Kitchener!

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/Miscellaneous/Longmoor-Military-Railway/i-4hdqC23/A

Anyone really think that those wouldn't sell by the bucket load?

However I think more Bachmann than Hornby for some reason.

28 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

However I think more Bachmann than Hornby for some reason.

I reckon (if its ever made) it would undoubtedly be Bachmann. Considering their already existing WD 2-8-0, it just doesn't seem like Hornby's territory.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, thohurst said:

I reckon (if its ever made) it would undoubtedly be Bachmann. Considering their already existing WD 2-8-0, it just doesn't seem like Hornby's territory.

But then a Midland 3F "Jinty" was always considered as Hornby's trademark territory - until Bachmann released one.  I was there, I remember the howls of anguish it provoked.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DutyDruid said:

But then a Midland 3F "Jinty" was always considered as Hornby's trademark territory - until Bachmann released one.  I was there, I remember the howls of anguish it provoked.

Now I would have one of those. Nobody has ever made a Midland version. Both Hornby and Bachmann's have been LMS versions.

But I reckon that's pure Bachmann territory as well. Maybe as an offshoot from the 0-4-4T...

spacer.png

MR 3F at Cricklewood - Ben Brooksbank

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Now I would have one of those. Nobody has ever made a Midland version. Both Hornby and Bachmann's have been LMS versions.

Sorry, that was sloppy thinking on my part, I really only understand stuff south of the Thames and preferably with pick-up shoes

• Like 1