2021 hopes

Hilux5972

44 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

If Hornby are looking for a quick win, whilst using existing bits and revisiting old Margate products, then a Maunsell L1 might be an answer. A medium sized loco, they served on the Kent coast and Eastleigh, nice contrast to other Eastern division models etc. An L1 with a rake of Bachmann Birdcages would be rather spiffing.

Have a safe Christmas and a better 2021

The mould was modified to make an LMS 4P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

And regarding the Limby re-worked four window buffet- yes, its a hacked about Lima one with the following deficiencies; 1) if you take the roof off you may find the body is bowed as the roof was strengthened to hold the body straight and 2) the "fourth" bay window (actually the one nearest the kitchen both sides) is slightly bigger than the rest, Lazerglaze do a separate pack for this and 3) the roof is a horlicks most similar to loco-hauled RFM, so if using it for a HST it's so far wrong you are better off finding a beaten up coach with an OK roof on eBay and using that as the starting point and adding the vents.

Blast; that sounds like the 4 window buffet is a right bodge job which is a shame as I wanted one in a Swallow or Merlin IC125. Shame there wasn't a Lima 4-window buffet for Hornby to use as I could then look for the Lima one 2nd hand. At least you've saved me some time looking for one by letting me know that Lima never made it in the first place, so thanks for that. Maybe I should try blanking off windows on my Hornby TSO to make a 4-window buffet (I'm unlikely to do so though as I've never attempted anything like that before, although the coach is essentially a freebe since the train set it came in cost me no more than a pair of Railroad power cars).

All points to the need for 'one mark 3 range to rule them all'...

• RMweb Premium
On 22/12/2020 at 19:41, Legend said:

But if the catalogue cover is correct it looks like the Evening Star might be getting a 50 year make over . 

If the 9F is too big a give away before the announcement, could it be a reworking of the painting to include a different BR standard, perhaps? Would what you can see also fit a 77000 loco, which has not yet been produced RTR? The other BR standard people are clamouring for is of course a re-release of the Clan, but that wouldn’t be new so I can’t see it making the cover of the catalogue, just inside.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Did you mean 09 or 19? 09 was chosen as it was in good condition as one of the last A4s overhauled and a scottish engine all its life. I dont think Cameron was ever looking at 24. 09 donated its corridor tender to scotsman and got the w1 tender as a replacement, but this was never previously fitted to 24

19 did not swap tenders with anyone and today has the tender it was built with (albeit rebuilt with a corrodor body at its last overhaul)

Interestingly 10 also has the tender it entered service with (whic still sported the extended side sheets for the chrome edging), but worked with a few others in between.

Hi there,

Obviously your more clued up than me and I was told about 60024 years ago. I can understand why John Cameron went for 60009 being a Scottish engine but most importantly, it was as you said one of the last A4’s overhauled.

I recall a picture in either a book or magazine showing 60024 and another A4 at Aberdeen Ferryhill in the mid 60’s, both minus tenders with the caption 24’s tender was in far better condition than the A4 that was bought for preservation.  It just happened to mention 60009 and as it was years ago I saw this, it probably stuck in my mind that both had swopped tenders.

If that is the "Evening Star" on the cover - and I've no reason to doubt it - and it means a revamped model, then Hornby have missed the 60th anniversary of its introduction by one year.

As Hornby so like anniversaries is 2021 a notable anniversary of any particular railway event?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 minutes ago, Rhydgaled said:

Blast; that sounds like the 4 window buffet is a right bodge job which is a shame as I wanted one in a Swallow or Merlin IC125. Shame there wasn't a Lima 4-window buffet for Hornby to use as I could then look for the Lima one 2nd hand. At least you've saved me some time looking for one by letting me know that Lima never made it in the first place, so thanks for that. Maybe I should try blanking off windows on my Hornby TSO to make a 4-window buffet (I'm unlikely to do so though as I've never attempted anything like that before, although the coach is essentially a freebe since the train set it came in cost me no more than a pair of Railroad power cars).

All points to the need for 'one mark 3 range to rule them all'...

Nah, you don't need a Merlin one- the vast majority of sets had the three window 407xx, just restrict yourself to one of those!

After trying three ways of making the TRSB I can reveal that the best way is to cut and shut a Lima buffet using two window bays robbed from a spare TF or TS. I did a rehack of a Limby RFM (the window layout by the kitchen is wrong for a TRSB) and years ago I tried one of those Hurst overlays but this produced the best result for me. On the kitchen side the little full depth window wants to slide along one bay and the narrow one it replaces goes across to the other side, the first couple of shots hopefully illustrate. The finished coach is good enough for me and slots into my "Cross Country" IC swallow rake seemlessly.

TRSB in progress v1.JPG

TRSB in progress v2.JPG

TRSB completed v1.JPG

TRSB completed v2.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, rovex said:

If that is the "Evening Star" on the cover - and I've no reason to doubt it - and it means a revamped model, then Hornby have missed the 60th anniversary of its introduction by one year.

As Hornby so like anniversaries is 2021 a notable anniversary of any particular railway event?

Eh? 2021 is 50 years since Hornby introduced its first tender driven 9F, hence the original painting being on the 1971 catalogue cover.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

If Hornby are looking for a quick win, whilst using existing bits and revisiting old Margate products, then a Maunsell L1 might be an answer. A medium sized loco, they served on the Kent coast and Eastleigh, nice contrast to other Eastern division models etc. An L1 with a rake of Bachmann Birdcages would be rather spiffing.

Have a safe Christmas and a better 2021

As has been widely bemoaned elsewhere on here (though not by me), the tooling for many of the old Margate products was skipped by the owners previous to the current lot.

I happen to think that's a good thing; most of what will have gone would have been to 1950s/60s Tri-ang standards and there's no shortage of the real stuff  on the used market that will have been produced when the moulds were young and fresh. If collecting that is your thing, that's genuine; any revival would be repro.

Whether the L1 could be revived from the old tools is really beside the point, though. It would look unspeakably crude if placed at the head of a rake of Bachmann Birdcages and probably almost as bad if stabled next to a Railroad Schools, let alone a full-fat one.

Even if the moulds do still exist, they will be at least sixty years old and can't have been used for the best part of the last forty. They are unlikely to have been stored under ideal conditions for all that time, and the work required to recommission them would probably cost far more than starting anew.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

Guest Jack Benson
2 hours ago, bigherb said:

The mould was modified to make an LMS 4P

Actually the mould was used to create the 2P. Moreover nowhere did I advocate using a 60 year old model as a basis for a new version, however there are those making that ridiculous assumption.

Instead a completely new loco, possibly using some components from the T9 and the N15 tender. Is that understood?

Cheers and stay safe this Christmas

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Eh? 2021 is 50 years since Hornby introduced its first tender driven 9F, hence the original painting being on the 1971 catalogue cover.

Thanks. I was two in 1971 so don't remember the catalogue cover.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Actually the mould was used to create the 2P. Moreover nowhere did I advocate using a 60 year old model as a basis for a new version, however there are those making that ridiculous assumption.

Instead a completely new loco, possibly using some components from the T9 and the N15 tender. Is that understood?

Apologies for misinterpreting your earlier post.

Regards and best wishes

John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Hi there,

Obviously your more clued up than me and I was told about 60024 years ago. I can understand why John Cameron went for 60009 being a Scottish engine but most importantly, it was as you said one of the last A4’s overhauled.

I recall a picture in either a book or magazine showing 60024 and another A4 at Aberdeen Ferryhill in the mid 60’s, both minus tenders with the caption 24’s tender was in far better condition than the A4 that was bought for preservation.  It just happened to mention 60009 and as it was years ago I saw this, it probably stuck in my mind that both had swopped tenders.

So the preservation but in your recollection seems to be incorrect, but a4 tender swap is right. Looking at BRDatabase.... https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=600104006&loco=4483

24 swapped from corridor to non corridor with 34 upon which 34 was withdrawn (tender swap on date of withdrawal). Clearly Farringdons tender was in better condition that Kingfishers corridor tender! At the simplest level, assuming it was tank condition that is the weak spot, they scrapped a 1928 built tender and kept a 1937 one!

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

2P, but not the most recent one which originated with Airfix, issued by Mainline after their demise, went to Dapol and then to Hornby.

I still think the ex-LNER D49 is more likely, since they were named. However I've just realised that 2021 is the 40th anniversary of "the year of the loco" in 1981 (I think) which produced four 4-4-0s (D49, Schools, Compound, County) — could there be something similar this year, but with some different types…

• Like 3

Just done a quick Google image search for the past 50 years of covers and without running the statistical analysis on them they look to have steam items on about 70%.

70's seem to be in the main Cuneo style images many include items that have never been seen as RTR models.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 19/12/2020 at 21:05, jools1959 said:

I think that both a WD 2-10-0 and S160 2-8-0 would make good bed partners as both used in the UK prior to D-Day and then in Europe both prior and after the end of WWII.  A boxed set of the pair would be awesome.

And probably £500+

I think a WD 2-10-0 would probably have more appeal than an S160.

Theres several preserved, would appeal to Greek and Dutch modellers also, in addition to Wartime, LMR and BR.

Bachmann made good use of the 2-8-0 tooling, demonstrates the 2-10-0’s potential.

• Like 1