2021 hopes

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, aaron3820 said:

European modellers would want a HO scale WD 2-10-0 I'd imagine, not a OO model

want and accept are different things.

Didnt stop them buying a OO gauge Dutch WD twice, actually 3 times, and a Hong Kong KCR WD 2-8-0 oh and and several Egyptian WDs too have found their way to modellers in Germany.

There has been a commissioned Turkish 8F in OO (rare as rocking horse..), not to mention several Lima 59/66’s for europe, before HO class 66 was comissioned. 

Meanwhile several British modellers have bought s100 and s160 in HO when the oo scale versions were not around.

And going whole circle Rocket has been quite popular in Europe this year, several overseas shops have sold out in advance on these.

Compromise is something Europeans can do too, if its a choice between that and nowt.. dont forget in OO gauge, they will see the price as a bargain to what they are used to, and if a HO version arrived, they can easily cash it in to hungry British modellers, like many Dutch /Turkish/Hong Kong versions did.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Trainshed Terry said:

My wish for the new year is to find an employer that has disability friendly job opportunity.

Terry.

I totally second that.  Even though potential employers aren't allowed to discriminate, they do.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

On 23/12/2020 at 18:52, Hilux5972 said:

Compare the 2 classes. A class of 6 with many many variations between the 6 locos, involving multiple tooling variations that would inevitably drive the price higher still, or a class of 35 locos with minor variations pretty much limited to double or single chimneys. 

Not quite- the A4 came in valanced, semi-valanced and unvalanced with two different chimneys and four tenders.  Still a smaller proportion of variations per class member, but have we seen an A4 with a cut-down tender yet?

Les

3 hours ago, aaron3820 said:

European modellers would want a HO scale WD 2-10-0 I'd imagine, not a OO model

When DJH did the kit versions they released the HO versions before the 00 ones.

They also do a HO S160 but none are currently available.

Before people start moaning about prices consider the DJH kit for the 2-10-0, that's £195 before you buy wheels, motor, gearbox, etc. All together that's going to be about £400.

https://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=3008

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

When DJH did the kit versions they released the HO versions before the 00 ones.

They also do a HO S160 but none are currently available.

Before people start moaning about prices consider the DJH kit for the 2-10-0, that's £195 before you buy wheels, motor, gearbox, etc. All together that's going to be about £400.

https://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=3008

Jason

Roco did the s160 in HO three years ago.

DJH one is probably out of stock as Rocos rtr is £100 cheaper.

D7C0E84B-18E4-4412-B1B4-859A1438BDBF.jpeg.69f334d7c1834da8fc0eb41b7a8abf55.jpeg57A93B70-6142-4B35-828F-DAAA57C88B98.jpeg.5a33d4a0d911fc541f752037ddbbf800.jpeg

its been a very popular seller.

Theyve done different railway networks every year, inc China.

it sits next to my OO stuff very well.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Roco did the s160 in HO three years ago.

DJH one is probably out of stock as Rocos rtr is £100 cheaper.

D7C0E84B-18E4-4412-B1B4-859A1438BDBF.jpeg.69f334d7c1834da8fc0eb41b7a8abf55.jpeg57A93B70-6142-4B35-828F-DAAA57C88B98.jpeg.5a33d4a0d911fc541f752037ddbbf800.jpeg

its been a very popular seller.

Theyve done different railway networks every year, inc China.

it sits next to my OO stuff very well.

The DJH version is vastly better than that though. That's not far off Railroad standard. I wouldn't pay £100 for one, crude and the wrong scale.

Compare it to this.

https://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/row-gallery/

I seriously doubt the Roco model has any bearing on availability of the DJH model. They are normally produced in small runs. Just that they are out of stock.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Les1952 said:

Not quite- the A4 came in valanced, semi-valanced and unvalanced with two different chimneys and four tenders.  Still a smaller proportion of variations per class member, but have we seen an A4 with a cut-down tender yet?

Les

Tender to me is irrelevant because, unless I’m very much mistaken, the tender on the metal duchess was plastic anyway, so that could carry over to any future models. What does a semi-valance look like? That’s new to me. I thought it was either valances or no valances. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, AMJ said:

Looking a little bit ahead, I think that in 2023 there will be Flying Scotsman featuring heavily in the catalogue as it will be 100 years old.  

But they've surely already made enough of those for every man, woman and child in the country to have at least one! :jester:  

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

55 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Tender to me is irrelevant because, unless I’m very much mistaken, the tender on the metal duchess was plastic anyway, so that could carry over to any future models. What does a semi-valance look like? That’s new to me. I thought it was either valances or no valances. 

Valanced completely, valance removed and "semi-valanced" was an in-between stage with the valancing left ahead of the cylinders.  Photos have emerged of this variety in traffic.

There were two varieties of Corridoor tender up to 1948, those which started behind A3s and those which started behind A4s.  These were sufficiently different to require different toolings (beading and shape of rear) and two tenders were cut down for the locomotive exchanges of 1948.  These as far as I know have only been modelled r-t-r in N gauge by Graham Farish.  The A4 high sided non-corridoor tender was different to the A3 version except for Scotsman (typically) and a couple of others.

The tender is very relevant.  In the days of Graham Farish Poole if you wanted a different tender you had to rebuild it yourself as they only did the one type with two examples.  Similarly you could only have a double chimney on your A4. 

Les

25 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

But they've surely already made enough of those for every man, woman and child in the country to have at least one! :jester:  

John

Flying Scotsman is the Kardashian of railway locos - famous for being famous and everyone seems to have more than they need or want.....

Les

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

19 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

Flying Scotsman is the Kardashian of railway locos - famous for being famous and everyone seems to have more than they need or want.....

Les

If it were a Kardashian it would have a huge tender behind........

Edited by D9001
  • Like 1
  • Funny 11

The Flying Scotsman was neglected by Meccano Hornby who produced it as a 4-4-2, by Hornby Dublo, Tri-ang and Trix until 1969 when both Tri-ang Hornby and Trix produced their models. I don't think Hornby produce the Flying Scotsman in their main range as it was in 1968 when Alan Pegler ran it in LNER livery or when it visited the Swanage Railway in BR green with smoke deflectors.  I would like to see these in Hornby's main range.

I think the Trix version was better than the current Hornby Railroad version.

51 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

Les

And it has had huge sums of money spent on improving surgery...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

My only hope with Hornby is anything that they do produce they don’t mess it up!! 

I don’t have much hope of that though with their past record.

Anything to be newly tooled I hope is done by other manufacturers, but from their current offerings it would be nice to have some BR Blue 31/4s, a BR Blue 08 with black buffer beam, a Large Logo 56 and a correct InterCity Executive HST! 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A run of Flying Scotsman would at least provide some honest entertainment.  It would doubtless sell and the pointless raging and teeth-grinding from sundry mardy individuals on here would be a right laugh (at least if viewed in the correct light - from other angles it can be profoundly depressing).  It might even make up for the disappointing (again, if correctly illuminated) lack of fatuous spleen from the Thompson-haters over the gorgeous new A2 samples.

OTOH I could probably come up with better uses for the production slots if pushed, though personally, I'm not that bothered about things with motors in at the moment.  A continuation of the 21t hopper lineage that Hornby have been camping on for a few years now would be nice.  And for heaven's sake just do the LMS driving trailer.

Edited by Flying Pig
De-bowdlerisation
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

There are plenty of other A1/A3 locos to make than to continue churning out more NRM cash cows.  As far as I'm concerned, Scotsman representations may as well be limited edition models for the NRM to flog in their gift shops.

As for the iconoclast Thompsons "rebuilds" of Gresley locos, the A2 model actually looks better than photos of the original!

Edited by Hroth
Post Christmas Spelin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I still predict that there will be  'something for everyone'.   The problem is that while it could well be for everyone there are different sorts of 'everyone' about so some will immediately say (accurately) that it's not for them while some will no doubt ask 'why bother?' 

On past Hornby showings there will no doubt be some 'big' steam outline models one of which might also be for 'almost everyone' who models a particular period in British railway history while some might well shows a particular geographical orientation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Considering so much has been pushed back to 2021 particularly due to the pandemic - will Hornby have much capacity to announce much new stuff- will there be enough production slots. I know probably Hornby know the answer to this and we may get an insight on the launch date.

As much as I would like new stuff to be announced I have so much from Hornby and accurascale due next year I think I would prefer for it to be a nothing for me year! Yes I know I could exercise self control and not buy whatever it is but where is the fun in that and shiny things make me happy!!!

Mark

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I still predict that there will be  'something for everyone'.   The problem is that while it could well be for everyone there are different sorts of 'everyone' about so some will immediately say (accurately) that it's not for them while some will no doubt ask 'why bother?' 

On past Hornby showings there will no doubt be some 'big' steam outline models one of which might also be for 'almost everyone' who models a particular period in British railway history while some might well shows a particular geographical orientation.

A career in political speech writing awaits you should you choose it.

• Funny 4