2021 hopes

Hilux5972

I think 2020 has been a very good year for Hornby. With more time at home and more disposable income (due to lack of foreign holidays, commuting etc) I have certainly spent more on the hobby this year than I ever have in previous years. I think many will be in similar situations and I think this will continue well into 2021. Some have suggested Hornby should scale back in 2021 due to Brexit/Virus uncertainties but I disagree. I think the Hornby 2021 range should be very ambitious as they try to capatalise on this great opportunity for them. Demand (willingness and ability to pay) is currently very healthy.

Simon Kohler also talks about people coming back to the hobby, and people finding the hobby for the first time. I therefore think it would be very wise for Hornby to produce complementary items to allow people to further expand their sets. There is nothing worse than trying to recreate a complete train only to find that one or two coaches are either impossible to obtain or have never been produced.

A few examples I would therefore like to see Hornby produce next year:
Norther Belle Mk3 Sleeper, Mk1 Kitchen and Mk1 BG coaches. (Hornby now have all the tooling)
SRPS coaches to expand the Aberdonian Tornado train pack.
Virgin/Intercity Mk2f Restaurant First Buffet.
L&MR 1st 2nd 3rd class coaches (various designs yet to be modelled).
Affordable modern freight wagons suitable for the numerous class 66 locos Hornby released this year.

Many people new/back into the hobby may now be looking at DCC and wanting to upgrade their models to include sound etc. I would like to see Hornby increase the availability of the popular TTS decoders (some types are getting hard to find). There are also plenty of Hornby locos that are still to benefit from TTS eg.33,56,101,121,153,156, and electric locos.

The Railmaster software could also do with a major upgrade with the roll out of the much anticipated loco detection system announced previously.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

I think 2020 has been a very good year for Hornby. With more time at home and more disposable income (due to lack of foreign holidays, commuting etc) I have certainly spent more on the hobby this year than I ever have in previous years. I think many will be in similar situations and I think this will continue well into 2021. Some have suggested Hornby should scale back in 2021 due to Brexit/Virus uncertainties but I disagree. I think the Hornby 2021 range should be very ambitious as they try to capatalise on this great opportunity for them. Demand (willingness and ability to pay) is currently very healthy.

Simon Kohler also talks about people coming back to the hobby, and people finding the hobby for the first time. I therefore think it would be very wise for Hornby to produce complementary items to allow people to further expand their sets. There is nothing worse than trying to recreate a complete train only to find that one or two coaches are either impossible to obtain or have never been produced.

A few examples I would therefore like to see Hornby produce next year:
Norther Belle Mk3 Sleeper, Mk1 Kitchen and Mk1 BG coaches. (Hornby now have all the tooling)
SRPS coaches to expand the Aberdonian Tornado train pack.
Virgin/Intercity Mk2f Restaurant First Buffet.
L&MR 1st 2nd 3rd class coaches (various designs yet to be modelled).
Affordable modern freight wagons suitable for the numerous class 66 locos Hornby released this year.

Many people new/back into the hobby may now be looking at DCC and wanting to upgrade their models to include sound etc. I would like to see Hornby increase the availability of the popular TTS decoders (some types are getting hard to find). There are also plenty of Hornby locos that are still to benefit from TTS eg.33,56,101,121,153,156, and electric locos.

The Railmaster software could also do with a major upgrade with the roll out of the much anticipated loco detection system announced previously.

I’d agree about the TTS, they have proved rather popular and demand has outstripped supply.

As for people with more disposable income , id imagine that’s easily balanced by those with jobs that have disappeared .

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

I recognise and agree with the sentiment, but we have to recognise one reality: space (or more correctly lack of it).  In this froth-fest I have mentioned things like a 4CORs, 4CIGs and 5WES but the reality is a 4 car unit is 4 feet long, the 5WES a bit over 5 feet, a 5BEL about the same.  I'm lucky, my Club has a couple of layouts and a test track that are able to cope with trains that long but most people don't have that luxury and putting a modern unit on a shunting plank or shelf layout - which, let's face it - is all most of us have space for is not a very fulfilling experience.  

I do agree that Hornby could do with expanding their range of TTS.  I was bowled over by the actual quality of their HST TTS chips, and if they could do the same for their Class 87, taking into account the somewhat gimcrack design of the circuit board leaving no space for a chip, then they would be getting some of my money, I've only got six to chip.  I also think a first and second gen DMU chip for their ex-Lima DMUs would be popular with budget conscious modellers and help stimulate sales.  I suspect the demand for TTS chips on kettle outline stuff must be a lot less than diesel and electric, after all if you are buying one of Hornby's tea urns you are more likely than not a collector, or a more senior modeller for whom DCC, let alone noise, isn't on the agenda (I base this generalisation on the reactions our DCC sound fitted steamers on "Dolgellau" get from visitors: younger modellers love them, and want to know more.  Older modellers tend to either hate it or are disinterested.  Joe and Joanna Normal love it for the most part) so some expansion into the rest of their post-steam range would be a good idea.

Only a few days to go.  I'd better get my tumbleweed ready.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, DutyDruid said:

I recognise and agree with the sentiment, but we have to recognise one reality: space (or more correctly lack of it).  In this froth-fest I have mentioned things like a 4CORs, 4CIGs and 5WES but the reality is a 4 car unit is 4 feet long, the 5WES a bit over 5 feet, a 5BEL about the same.  I'm lucky, my Club has a couple of layouts and a test track that are able to cope with trains that long but most people don't have that luxury and putting a modern unit on a shunting plank or shelf layout - which, let's face it - is all most of us have space for is not a very fulfilling experience.  

In reality any "realistic" model railway will need approx 4 feet for running a train - 1 x loco and three coaches.   Yes, you can get away with a tank engine and one or two coaches, but these were relatively rare and limits your options, one of the reasons the classic GWR branch line layouts were popular.   I was "lucky", I grew up near the Wimbledon to West Croydon line which was run, at the time, by two single 2-EPB units running in opposite directions (and the daily freight was an irregular 0-6-0 loco with 4 to 10 wagons !

So, a 4-COR (whilst relatively rare running on its own, or other 4 vehicle set-ups are "realistic".

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

In reality any "realistic" model railway will need approx 4 feet for running a train - 1 x loco and three coaches.   Yes, you can get away with a tank engine and one or two coaches, but these were relatively rare and limits your options, one of the reasons the classic GWR branch line layouts were popular.   I was "lucky", I grew up near the Wimbledon to West Croydon line which was run, at the time, by two single 2-EPB units running in opposite directions (and the daily freight was an irregular 0-6-0 loco with 4 to 10 wagons !

So, a 4-COR (whilst relatively rare running on its own, or other 4 vehicle set-ups are "realistic".

If you have a loco and three coaches on a layout 4ft long, it's not going anywhere further than about 4 inches away!  :jester:

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, DutyDruid said:

putting a modern unit on a shunting plank or shelf layout - which, let's face it - is all most of us have space for is not a very fulfilling experience.  

I'd not say "most" only have a shunting plank or shelf layout. I see LOADS of Hornby track pack roundy roundies on Facebook, which would be quite capable of hosting a 4ft long unit, even if it's not going to look great doing it I see plenty of other 3 or 4 coach trains doing that and the owners are happy which is the most important thing.

There are also a lot of layouts that go around an entire room (mine included) so I think you're missing a lot of the market with the thoughts that nearly everyone has a plank or shelf.

I'd also say that Facebook probably shows a more accurate demographic of the market, as little to no effort is required to have a presence on the groups on there.

I also think if what you said was true most of the stuff in the market wouldn't sell.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

That's all true but we shouldn't forget the high unemployment rate and those with job insecurities. Luxuries like new model locomotives are the first things you cut back when money is tight or your job is looking uncertain. Hornby will be aware of this.

• Agree 4

11 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

I do agree that Hornby could do with expanding their range of TTS.  I was bowled over by the actual quality of their HST TTS chips, and if they could do the same for their Class 87, taking into account the somewhat gimcrack design of the circuit board leaving no space for a chip, then they would be getting some of my money, I've only got six to chip.  I also think a first and second gen DMU chip for their ex-Lima DMUs would be popular with budget conscious modellers and help stimulate sales.  I suspect the demand for TTS chips on kettle outline stuff must be a lot less than diesel and electric, after all if you are buying one of Hornby's tea urns you are more likely than not a collector, or a more senior modeller for whom DCC, let alone noise, isn't on the agenda (I base this generalisation on the reactions our DCC sound fitted steamers on "Dolgellau" get from visitors: younger modellers love them, and want to know more.  Older modellers tend to either hate it or are disinterested.  Joe and Joanna Normal love it for the most part) so some expansion into the rest of their post-steam range would be a good idea.

Only a few days to go.  I'd better get my tumbleweed ready.

Am I missing something or does a Class 87 really not make very much noise? Can't you just hum as it goes 'round- you'd not be far off!

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Pmorgancym said:

Has to be a Blue Pullman HST

Its an open goal isn’t it ? Along with a 153 in Scotrail bike livery .  If SK misses this he should sign for Scotland 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, DutyDruid said:

I recognise and agree with the sentiment, but we have to recognise one reality: space (or more correctly lack of it).  In this froth-fest I have mentioned things like a 4CORs, 4CIGs and 5WES but the reality is a 4 car unit is 4 feet long, the 5WES a bit over 5 feet, a 5BEL about the same. 

I take your point, but the Hornby 2020 announcements included the APT which is even longer.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, 1andrew1 said:

That's all true but we shouldn't forget the high unemployment rate and those with job insecurities. Luxuries like new model locomotives are the first things you cut back when money is tight or your job is looking uncertain. Hornby will be aware of this.

Oddly in past recessions model railways have not been the first thing people cut back on.  In fact as a rule of thumb spending on model railways tends to increase as expenditure on other things such as meals out and holidays is cut back.

Now that might not necessarily apply to expensive new locos and it obviously varies according to circumstance but there is a lot of unspent money lurking in teh pockets and bank accounts of many people.  Although equally there are many others who have lost their job or seen their income reduced to a varying ecxtent.  In 2020 Hornby followed the general trend among many model shops and saw its sales increase although we don't know to what extent model railways were responsible for that in their case.   2021 will I suspect probably be rather different for the reason you have suggested but there will still be quite a lot of folk who are spending more time at home, who aren't eating out or going to the pub, or taking expensive overseas holidays etc, and are looking for something to do with  their time and will have money to spend.

How much of that available disposable income goes towards model railways will I think depend very much on the demographics of those already involved in the hobby, or attracted to it,  or attracted to return to it.  And that will be very difficult to forecast.  Similarly it also depends on what Hornby produce in comparison with what their competitors produce - some of us restrict most, if not all, of our purchasing to specific themes or areas  and for all I know Hornby might not be offering anything at all that interests me while somebdy else might be bringing out something i find irresistibl..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

such as meals out and holidays is cut back.

And lets be honest, 2021 isn't looking like it's going to be a vintage year for eating out, going to the pub or on holiday.

Also whilst people shouldn't buy model railways banking on their residual value, you can guarantee it's a financially more sound decision than the aforementioned.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Am I missing something or does a Class 87 really not make very much noise? Can't you just hum as it goes 'round- you'd not be far off!

They make more noise than a HST when they are idling in a station.

86’s and 92’s can make a good bit of noise too.

I once stayed awake in the front compartment of the sleeper listening to a 92 climbing shap... the window was warm from the heat it put out too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

They make more noise than a HST when they are idling in a station.

86’s and 92’s can make a good bit of noise too.

I once stayed awake in the front compartment of the sleeper listening to a 92 climbing shap... the window was warm from the heat it put out too.

92's have noisy (and busy!) cooling fans, that's the limit of excitement! 86's, 87's and 90's are near silent, even compared to an MTU powered HST they make a fraction of the noise idling and even less noise when comparing them under load.

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

92's have noisy (and busy!) cooling fans, that's the limit of excitement! 86's, 87's and 90's are near silent, even compared to an MTU powered HST they make a fraction of the noise idling and even less noise when comparing them under load.

i defer to my own experience..

3m50s into this video.. you can hear the HST idling.. but it disappears to the drone of the 87...

Agreed a HST throttling is a different story, as is when both are powered down.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I defer to my own experience..

3m50s into this video.. you can hear the HST idling.. but it disappears to the drone of the 87...

Unusual to hear the fans running while the loco is standing.  In my experience they usually shut down after the loco came to a stop and restarted just before moving off (they were linked to the reversing handle I believe).  Maybe there's a thermal override to continue cooling if the equipment is very warm?

Anyway, the sound of the fans stopping and starting on an AC electric was very evocative and would be good to reproduce on a model.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Unusual to hear the fans running while the loco is standing.  In my experience they usually shut down after the loco came to a stop and restarted just before moving off (they were linked to the reversing handle I believe).  Maybe there's a thermal override to continue cooling if the equipment is very warm?

Anyway, the sound of the fans stopping and starting on an AC electric was very evocative and would be good to reproduce on a model.

Agreed, it sounds like the cooling fans are on some kind of over-ride for some operational/technical reason. Also it was standard practice to shut down the leading power car of a HST arriving at Paddington, although obviously the MTU engine is a lot quieter on idle than either Paxman type. If anyone has a vid of a normal in-service 86, 87 or 90 making anything more than a little bit of fan noise as opposed to a semi-preserved in a one off failure mode I still wouldn't accept that any of those is louder than a proper HST on idle.

3 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Basically agree Phil in principle, but the point I was making is that a lot of people just don't have the room.  Take my lad (31) for example, he lives in a 2-bed flat over a shop in the New Forest and has gone away from model railways in favour of wargaming because he can display his works 2 x 2' square glass display cases sat in opposite corners of the room.  Suggest to him that he has a 4' x 2' micro layout and he's asking which piece of furniture would we like to store until he can afford to buy a house.  In that circumstance even a basic trackmat layout is a complete non-starter.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2020 at 10:05, guarded said:

Get a streamlined Coronation set out there to go with those A4s.The original Mallard was my very first Hornby train,for Christmas 1979.

Yes please! It would be just as out of period for my layout as the Coronation Scot and I have a complete set on order. 

The LNER streamliners are more difficult to do because of the articulation and the fact that in the full 9-car Coronation including observation car I think only two carriages were the same - the two kitchen thirds - and I'm not 100% sure about that.

There is the advantage that one set of tooling would cover The West Riding Limited and the 'spare set' (sometimes used on the Silver Jubilee) as well as The Coronation.

BR liveries would be good too but there are the complications of no valances and the additional doors on some carriages.

• Agree 2