2021 hopes

Hilux5972

16 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And there is the point Legend makes about his pre-orders.  it is very easy to forget that many of us don't buy by brand but buy by what fits our modelling scenario or possibly some sort of collecting habit.

This is what I do, if it's what I want it I order it and assuming I haven't actually laid any money out for it (i.e. I don't see it as a potential liability) I aren't that bothered when it turns up, I'll just be pleased when it does.

16 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But then does somebody stuck at home want to order something which is stated as being due in, say, September, rather than having something in their hand to get on with while stuck at home in January or February?

And that doesn't really play into how I operate (although I might not be the norm), as lets say Hornby come out with an absolutely stonking list on Tuesday I will order a lot of stuff but if then Bachmann come out with something in Summer I might have committed to some Hornby stuff due at a similar time so they miss out.

In all likelihood I'd be buying both anyway, as I only pre order stuff I definitely really want and pick up other bits with spare money when they turn up, whilst I don't like being a victim of fear of missing out I do know that the best time to buy stuff if you want it is when it's new in the shops. I have had to be very patient getting my hands on stuff released before I got back into the hobby, such as Dapol MRA sets, Colas 56 and 70 at a reasonable price among others because the second hand market for some of these items significantly exceeds what they were new so I don't want to be in that position in the future if I can avoid it.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Yes please! It would be just as out of period for my layout as the Coronation Scot and I have a complete set on order. 

The LNER streamliners are more difficult to do because of the articulation and the fact that in the full 9-car Coronation including observation car I think only two carriages were the same - the two kitchen thirds - and I'm not 100% sure about that.

There is the advantage that one set of tooling would cover The West Riding Limited and the 'spare set' (sometimes used on the Silver Jubilee) as well as The Coronation.

BR liveries would be good too but there are the complications of no valances and the additional doors on some carriages.

Just to add that there were two 'Coronation' sets working in opposite directions, so also scope for a second set with the alternate numbers. However, all branding - train name, class designations, GUARD and running numbers were all in applied stainless steel cutouts so could not in a detailed model form part of the moulding.

Be interesting to see how the rubber sheeting between the carriages could be done in model form whilst accommodating the tight radii and reverse curves through crossings...

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Just to add that there were two 'Coronation' sets working in opposite directions, so also scope for a second set with the alternate numbers. However, all branding - train name, class designations, GUARD and running numbers were all in applied stainless steel cutouts so could not in a detailed model form part of the moulding.

Be interesting to see how the rubber sheeting between the carriages could be done in model form whilst accommodating the tight radii and reverse curves through crossings...

It would be interesting to see how many could/would shell out the necessary for them if produced, and I can't imagine them being offered other than in full rakes.

If made to the specification you imply, I'd reckon a full set would nudge four figures even if they came in red boxes.

John

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

It would be interesting to see how many could/would shell out the necessary for them if produced, and I can't imagine them being offered other than in full rakes.

This could well lead to a full scale wallet rebellion, leading to wallets being nailed to poles all along the Appian Way! Picture the scene - "I'm Walletus, no I'm Walletus, no I'm Walletus".

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Do Hornby make TTS for stuff not currently/recently in their range? Not having a dig it's a genuine question

Hi, primarily yes they are for locomotives in the Hornby range - however this does not stop you from using them in other makers locos. For example Hornby have the railroad class 37 and I am using the tts chip for that loco in a Bachmann version. It would be good to have the 58 back in the railroad range so who knows we may see it witha new motor bogie and a chip to go with it - which if you so desired could also go in the Heljan / EFE model if your piggybank allows.

Chris

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

If made to the specification you imply, I'd reckon a full set would nudge four figures even if they came in red boxes.

John

Nah. It would be less than an equivalent set of APT cars. It doesn't even have motors or tilt mechanism to worry about. £600 maximum for the full set, that's including any premium for things like lights.

The seven car APT is £485 RRP. You can get a Blue Pullman for less than £600. £900 for a DCC sound train set version. That's the ballpark price range for equivalent items. 

Jason

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

primarily yes they are for locomotives in the Hornby range - however this does not stop you from using them in other makers locos. 

Yes that's what I thought, i.e. if they don't make a 58 then it's unlikely they'll make a 58 TTS

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Yes that's what I thought, i.e. if they don't make a 58 then it's unlikely they'll make a 58 TTS

Theres also nothing stopping you putting a chip for one type of loco in something different which shares the same wheel arrangement or other characteristics. End of the day it's your choice - I think they are great as my fleet would have cost me thousands using ESU or Zimo.

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Do Hornby make TTS for stuff not currently/recently in their range? Not having a dig it's a genuine question

I think somewhere in the Hornby literature it says trains released since the TTS chip will have space to directly screw the speaker in to make installation easy, (so they do the work to make TTS at the same time as making the loco compatible with TTS).

• RMweb Gold

I don’t buy locos or stock, the big ticket items, based on brand loyalty but according to my perception of how a Tondu branch was worked in the 1948-58 period.  The shed’s duty diagrams often meant the locos and stock visited more than one branch during a working day, so I need a good variety of them to ring the changes as I progress through the day’s WTT at Cwmdimbath, which purports to be the ‘6th branch’ of Tondu’s rather self contained network.   

The layout is not a model railway but a real one that happens to be small and from 70 years ago.  I need about 13 locos; made up of 2x 4575s for auto work, a 45xx, a 42xx for mineral work on the steep gradients,  3x 56xx for mineral and passenger jobs, 6x panniers (2x 57xx, a 6750, 8750, 94xx, 2721) which can turn their hands to anything and everything (6750 cannot work passenger). This enables locos to be taken out of service for a few WTT days at a time for boiler washouts and covers any real failures. 

In addition are 4 ‘rule 1’ locos, a working having been devised for a Barry 82xxx and a possible future Taff A, a W4 Peckett and worked up Triang dokafority diesel that poke their little noses into the colliery exchange road, and a 5101 which helps out with passenger work.  I have probably got all the locos I’ll ever need and will not buy any more once the Limbach 94xx is replaced by the upcoming Baccy, but you’ve probably heard all that rubbish before... 

This is an overview of my railway’s locomotive acquisition policy and the rationale that ‘informs’ it.  So I’m not expecting any irresistible must have locos or rolling stock from any RTR producer this year or for the foreseeable, post blue box 94xx, but Hornby have pulled rabbits out of their hat before; the superb 57’ Collett suburbans are the nearest thing to Tondu-suitable loco hauled stock that had ever been available RTR, and their announcement and very rapid appearance in the shops caught me off guard, so I am anticipating the Great Announcement with interest.  

I have probably forlorn hopes of a retooled 2721, and auto trailer, and would spring for a 44xx and Collett 1938 31xx if anybody made one (these locos were associated with the Porthcawl branch but I’ve seen a photo of 3100 at Abergwynfi).  

I have unfinished/need rebuilding kits for an 1854, Taff A (Barry) and Rhymney R (Duffryn Yard) which may yet make appearances, and a hybrid ‘Hornfix’ 5101 which is ‘spare’ and gets an occasional spin to check it still runs.  1958 just about allows a 116 I built years ago from cut’n’shut Lima to turn upfor excursion work.  

The pension restricted owner of a small BLT’s needs, hopes, and desires do not and probably should not figure in the plans of RTR producers; that way lies bankrupture (ouch).  The Mid Glamorgan Valleys in the 50s is a bit niche, and I’m miserably and pathetically grateful for such offerings as they’ve been able to provide me with.  Roll on Tuesday and I can stop worrying about it for another year!

I’m happy enough with things as they are and my little world will be complete with a Bachmann 94xx, all of my very own and I will love it and take it for walks every day and clean it’s cage and... steady, now, Johnster.  I’m happy with the layout, enjoy operating it, and have plenty of modelling to be getting on with for the foreseeable.   

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

For example at present it looks to me as if Bachmann, in one form or another, will get more of my 2021 model railway spending than Hornby; will that change next week - dunno.

Same here, unless Hornby announce an AL1, or an 86/2 as a pre-emptive strike against Heljan, or a 120, or (hallelujah!) An AM4 emu, most of my spending money will be going to Denmark.  If I don't get to have a cup of tea and a slice of cake with Queen Margrethe II for services to the Danish economy this year, I'll kick off.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, centraltrains said:

I think somewhere in the Hornby literature it says trains released since the TTS chip will have space to directly screw the speaker in to make installation easy, (so they do the work to make TTS at the same time as making the loco compatible with TTS).

The HST certainly does, but I remain to be convinced about the Class 87 having space for a speaker, it barely as space for a plain vanilla chip.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, centraltrains said:

53 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Theres also nothing stopping you putting a chip for one type of loco in something different which shares the same wheel arrangement or other characteristics. End of the day it's your choice - I think they are great as my fleet would have cost me thousands using ESU or Zimo.

Sorry I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. Somebody was asking for a TTS for a 58, I was wondering whether that was likely to happen given they don't make a 58, not that I was wanting one myself

Just now, TomScrut said:

Sorry I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. Somebody was asking for a TTS for a 58, I was wondering whether that was likely to happen given they don't make a 58, not that I was wanting one myself

I was just commenting to insinuate that we'd probably be more likely to see the class 58 be remade before a TTS chip is made for it. IS the Class 58 tooling known to be scrapped? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, centraltrains said:

I was just commenting to insinuate that we'd probably be more likely to see the class 58 be remade before a TTS chip is made for it. IS the Class 58 tooling known to be scrapped? 

I'm pretty sure the Class 58 was available in recent times. They did it in Mainline and EWS liveries so can't be that long ago.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/9085/hornby_r2336_class_58_double_pack_1_a_dummy_in_mainline_blue_weathered_/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm pretty sure the Class 58 was available in recent times. They did it in Mainline livery so can't be that long ago.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/9085/hornby_r2336_class_58_double_pack_1_a_dummy_in_mainline_blue_weathered_/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

That was released a whopping 17 years ago!

http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=2236

According to modelraildatabase.com the last ones were 2004. EWS and Coal sector.

Actually that gives it in an easier to read format, although I do think that site is out of date with more recent stuff.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/class_details.asp?classid=31

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Nah. It would be less than an equivalent set of APT cars. It doesn't even have motors or tilt mechanism to worry about. £600 maximum for the full set, that's including any premium for things like lights.

The seven car APT is £485 RRP. You can get a Blue Pullman for less than £600. £900 for a DCC sound train set version. That's the ballpark price range for equivalent items. 

Jason

With printed lettering etc. I'd agree. Though on the assumption that Hornby don't move their coach prices closer to Bachmann's level.

But individual stainless letters/numbers as mentioned in the post I was replying to could bump the price up considerably.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Just now, TomScrut said:

That was released a whopping 17 years ago!

According to modelraildatabase.com the last ones were 2004. EWS and Coal sector.

But after the era where they were scrapping the tooling of old models. So should still be available to make if they felt the urge.

Recent to someone who bought the original one when it came out....

20 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

The HST certainly does, but I remain to be convinced about the Class 87 having space for a speaker, it barely as space for a plain vanilla chip.

The 87 does have a round space for a speaker, presumably the round tts type speaker. I've got a sugarcube speaker installed in mine with a Zimo decoder. Sounds fantastic and really brings the model to life.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

With printed lettering etc. I'd agree

But individual stainless letters/numbers as mentioned in the post I was replying to could bump the price up considerably.

John

Easy way out of that is provide them on an etch for the buyer to apply.

I'm pretty sure that Fox do them.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

But after the era where they were scrapping the tooling of old models. So should still be available to make if they felt the urge.

There was reportedly a whole bunch of stuff skipped not long before the present management took over, so maybe, maybe not available. However, as I remember the model, it would only be fit for Railroad without full retooling.

John

11 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yes, but is there a market for it if it's not DCC ready? I know there are a lot of DC users but I think a DC railroad 58 would be a bit niche unless it was very cheap.

And yes it's all relative, about half my lifetime ago!

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Easy way out of that is provide them on an etch for the buyer to apply.

I'm pretty sure that Fox do them.

Jason

Easy for thee and me and a good few on here, perhaps, but there are plenty who would expect them to be thirty quid each unless fully detailed.

Never overestimate the modelling abilities of the average rtr buyer.:unsure:

Most would leave them taped in the packaging in case fitting them reduced the resale value anyway!

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 2