2021 hopes

Hilux5972

39 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Easy for thee and me and a good few on here, perhaps, but there are plenty who would expect them to be thirty quid each unless fully detailed.

Never overestimate the modelling abilities of the average rtr buyer.:unsure:

Most would leave them taped in the packaging in case fitting them reduced the resale value anyway!

John

How thick were the steel plates? If only a few mm then printed would look better anyway as I think etched letters would look too bulky.

I think the other thing though is most people would rather pay the £5-£10 more to have them fitted properly if that was the thing. Despite me not being phased by fitting stuff like that if it was going to be a faff (individual lettering etc) I'd probably accept paying more for the hassle as it's a means to an end not an enjoyable process in my book. But whilst they aren't of interest to me I wish they had done the sliding door HST and MK2F at that price and put the lighting and interior in. I'll have to do it myself some day!

I do fit etched plates etc to my locos, but I do understand the thoughts of residual value. My thinking there is if I fit them well it won't matter as a lot of people are afraid to do it for fear of screwing it up so would welcome one with the plates well fitted. I used to be frightened of screwing it up, but my hand was forced with a Bachmann 66779 which didn't have printed plates and I wouldn't have the plate not being on there at all. When I get a backlog up I'll be ordering a load of different ones from Fox to do ones where I didn't get etched.

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

But after the era where they were scrapping the tooling of old models. So should still be available to make if they felt the urge.

Recent to someone who bought the original one when it came out....

I was just reading the review in the July 85 railway modeller! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, DK123GWR said:

The other model which I think they should make (though don't imagine they will) is a low-spec version of the 800 (or similar) to supplement and eventually replace the HST. The main lines, which by definition serve the most people, either all use these or will do soon and it will become the icon of early-mid 21st century rail travel, in the same way that the HST defined rail travel in the late 20th century. I know that the length of the carriages will cause problems on the smallest curves, but the 3rd radius appears to be at least as common as 2nd for train sets nowadays.

If a five car IET could be bought (possibly as a three car set with two extra coaches) for just under £200 (around the price of Kato's brand-new N gauge version - and as far as I can tell N gauge models and low-spec 00 models generaly cost roughly the same) and there was a cheaper-than-Bachmann DMU option (sprinters seem more sensible commercially but I wouldn't mind a 166) I would be far more tempted to start a present-day layout.

One of the problems with this is the nature of the Class 800s / IETs themselves. Being designed for speed and the modern era they are very ‘clean’ trains stylistically with not much by way of lumps and bumps - which is what increases the production costs of models as the separately applied detail is attached. The same was true with the 395s - the ‘railroad‘ standard models merely lacked interiors as there wasn’t much else that could be left off / out.

Edited by phil-b259

11 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

One of the problems with this is the nature of the Class 800s / IETs themselves. Being designed for speed and the modern era they are very ‘clean’ trains stylistically with not much by way of lumps and bumps - which is what increases the production costs of models as the separately applied detail is attached. The same was true with the 395s - the ‘railroad‘ standard models merely lacked interiors as there wasn’t much else that could be left off / out.

I suppose they could lose the internal lighting, some of the undercarriage and roof detailing etc. and have the car ends moulded into the body. The RR 395s didn't have lighting at the non motor end did they?

The 800s will pass each other on 2nd/3rd radius curves at 67mm spacing, I have tried it.

Edited by TomScrut

I remember back in the late 80s early 90s I had a Hornby cl58 , can’t remember the livery and I also had an AC electric , once again I cannot quite remember whether it was a cl86 or 87 , but it was in a set and it came with working over head wires which from memory were hugely over scale 

Back to present day and I’d still like an F5 or F6:D

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I suppose they could lose the internal lighting, some of the undercarriage and roof detailing etc. and have the car ends moulded into the body. The RR 395s didn't have lighting at the non motor end did they?

but is that going to lower production costs enough to make it a worthwhile project compared to other things Hornby could make.

The grater the difference between hi spec and railroad standard, the grater the price differential and the grater the chance both products will sell well.

Obviously if the two variants come from different manufacturers that helps even more because you are not ‘robbing yourself’ of sales of the higher quality product.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Mr chapman said:

I was just reading the review in the July 85 railway modeller! 

That was possibly a later "recap" review.

It originally came out in 1982 when the first one was coming off the production line and the review sample was BR Blue!

Quickly changed for the correct grey and red by the time it hit the shops.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

but is that going to lower production costs enough to make it a worthwhile project compared to other things Hornby could make.

The grater the difference between hi spec and railroad standard, the grater the price differential and the grater the chance both products will sell well.

Obviously if the two variants come from different manufacturers that helps even more because you are not ‘robbing yourself’ of sales of the higher quality product.

Probably not, and yes exactly they might only end up stealing sales from themselves. As far as 1.7m long MUs go its not expensive anyway compared to competition, other than the 395 which is very keenly priced IMO. The higher detail 395 is only single bogie drive too isn't it so maybe some money could be saved there. But I think its probably clutching at straws if the existing tooling would be used. Seems they aren't getting much out of that tooling at the moment either, I am waiting for both LNER 800s and they both keep getting shoved back, the first one is over a year late now.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Seems they aren't getting much out of that tooling at the moment either, I am waiting for both LNER 800s and they both keep getting shoved back, the first one is over a year late now.

Not really Hornby’s fault though.

When things like some building / landscaping materials are facing a 4 month wait due to the Covid induced implosion of global production / transportation / logistics  chains then seeing model railway items pushed back is not exactly a surprise.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

When things like some building / landscaping materials are facing a 4 month wait due to the Covid induced implosion of global production / transportation / logistics  chains then seeing model railway items pushed back is not exactly a surprise.

Might be due to having to find another factory to make them . I believe the original one closed as the proprietor retired . The Merchant Navies are the same . I thought there was some clarification from Hornby around the time of last years launch 

• Agree 1

I have to admit, having seen the paint finish of the new Intercity Swallow Buffered HST Pack being debated on Facebook this evening again leads me to hope greater Quality Control measures are introduced. It's becoming a regular feature of disappointment, and the second model within a month to leave me questioning Margate's quality control! 

For those not on Facebook, it seems the Falcon Grey had been lightened, and has a more olive green tint to it than before. Even allowing for natural colour fade, it looks too green for my liking! 

1 hour ago, GWR8700 said:

Have there been any clues in the Engine Shed blog or Signal Box videos that may give some idea as to what is coming on Tuesday?

The recent video shows some writing on the whiteboard behind Simon. At times it looks like LD47 (possible some new loco detection system reference to do with R8306-R8309), though at other times it looks more like ED?7. Could be nothing to do with the new range, but why not clean the board before you are about to release a video on RMWeb days before the announcement?

464174342_LDHornby.PNG.24992f615175f45274960f680cad699e.PNG

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I have probably forlorn hopes of a retooled 2721, and auto trailer

It's one of those strange things that for all the often continued talk of the dominance of the proverbial GWR branchline layout there exists no accurate GWR era autocoach...

• Agree 2

On 01/01/2021 at 22:12, adb968008 said:

Isnt the current Milk tanker kind of a mish - mash.

Theres a plan to make the moderately well known Morden Dairies 48DS, so a matching  accurate Express Dairies Milk tank would seem a good idea... They could even do it as a set with a Q1 0-6-0 as it seemed to be a regular turn from Clapham to Morden and other localities..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_Q1_class#/media/File:Clapham_Junction_(Windsor_Lines)_Down_milk_empties_geograph-2646794-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

That would be great, both are at the NRM for scanning / measuring

8 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Do Hornby make TTS for stuff not currently/recently in their range? Not having a dig it's a genuine question

They dont, but i guess the 58 could return in railroad guise.

Looking at the ones theyve done most have been inside a railroad spec loco, eg, 37, 47, 20, 31, A1, A4, tornado

Theyve done some in full fat models such as the 08.

Im hoping for a rat in 2021 as they have a railroad 25 or 33 they could use

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

The first set was meant to be here before COVID was known about! All in all they have done well this year just not with 800s. The first lot went from November 2019 to July 2020 in November 2019 so I expect something went wrong with them.

But I am happy enough waiting anyway really, I need to finish laying track to make space for them.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Yes that's what I thought, i.e. if they don't make a 58 then it's unlikely they'll make a 58 TTS

Its been a very long time since most of us heard a class 58.

Indeed this was the last time I saw a class 58..  July 31st 2003.

EEF70424-5F3C-4B33-AA5D-6B6432230997.jpeg.f7435ea556512f56517ae6eb3106b5f3.jpeg

odd thing is.. the withdrawn 58’s still survive, yet the brand new EMU 332, I was riding on, is now razor blades.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, mdvle said:

It's one of those strange things that for all the often continued talk of the dominance of the proverbial GWR branchline layout there exists no accurate GWR era autocoach...

Or a 48xx that runs reliably well.  The Bachmann A38 auto trailer is pretty accurate but only suitable for post 1949 WR layouts.  The old Ks kit A31 is not innaccurate, but very crude by modern standards.  I would love any 60’ trailer (70’ trailers did not run in South Wales) but in particular Diagrams N, A10, and ex TVR twin set, along with BR converted ‘Cyclops’ A43/4, (all types known to have been used at Tondu in the immediate post 1953 period), but don’t rate the chances as very highly

Wizard/Comet do the A43 and A44. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

But after the era where they were scrapping the tooling of old models. So should still be available to make if they felt the urge.

Recent to someone who bought the original one when it came out....

Thats me,

I am and  I just did...

no need for Hornby to rake up the long lost past, Bachmanns just brought back Heljans back from the dead.

We just need GBRF now to do the same to those in France and rebuild them as a new “class 65”. (Class 56’s are being rebuilt as class 69..69001 is due to move to SVR in the next week or two for testing).

14952B01-93CE-4D5C-9954-3D85E7BF258A.jpeg.a793f30aa3e99915b9e9a575b5d4c508.jpeg

The Hornby one used to have that small square motor in it, as used in the Jinty, 08 and 142.. worked ok, but when you twin motored the 58, it would out pull anything.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

If there is a market for cheaper Railroad models using existing tooling that is still usable and reasonably accurate, then maybe they should be looking at it.

Perhaps those asking for yet another Pannier would be happy to have the Railroad half cab pannier return once again ?

Theres 80 reasons why not to re-release class 58’s here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Hornby+class+58&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=Hornby+class+58

However theres loads of scope in liveries not yet done ACTS, GIF, Fertis, TSO, ETF, CFD, VOS, Seca, CEAAV...

All “modern”  French, Dutch, Spain, Italy... 

go for it.

no ones really seen a class 58 on the mainline for 17 years, thats almost as long as BR steam existed. admittedly 2020 was supposed to have been the big comeback for one... even in Europe its now heading on a decade theyve been sat corroding in a French siding.

If Hornby was looking to scrape the “modern” barrel one more time to throw a scrap towards todays generation at no cost, then rather than tooling a bespoke new motor bogie for the class 58, or DCCing up the old one...

they could just kick out some Northern and TFW class 142’s... and a G&W class 59, and even a FLT 59 in DBS red... indeed i’m amazed (well maybe I should learn by now) that they havent cashed in on the end of the 142 pacers... but 59203 i’d class as low hanging fruit.

BE01167B-1778-46EF-B91E-4598457E06D3.jpeg.5676aba337c70bf06e7287584a4d3835.jpeg

Edited by adb968008

The TTS decoders seem to be fairly standardised to date but perhaps Hornby's chip suppliers will show that it is now cheaper to upgrade power output to 1amp

and then programme those new sounds we want.

This can be the only possible reason Hornby is persisting with 8 pin sockets. 

Hopefully they will unleash the good news next week! 

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

But people were asking for cheap versions with TTS.

I think they were asking for TTS for a 58. I then said "will they ever do that if they don't make the model anymore". I don't think anybody has specifically said "I want the Hornby 58 bringing back to life with a TTS chip in it". Could be the OP wanted to solder it into a Hornby one, or could have been for an EFE/Heljan one.