2021 hopes

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

Right, with just a couple of days to go, I think it's close enough to release my inner wish-lister. Wholly Southern....

Retooled rebuilt MN, with cut-down 5000g tender, ideally 35007 Aberdeen Commonwealth. Retooled rebuilt MN, with rebodied 5250g tender, ideally 35002 Union Castle. 

Air-smoothed MN in late condition with cut-down tender, any or all of:

35001 Channel Packet (5000g), 35011 General Steam Navigation (5100g) or 35021 New Zealand Line (6000g).

If I have to pick, 35011....

Rebuilt WC with 5250 rebodied tender, obvious choices would be 34046 and 34059 as preserved. Please, not Barnstaple or Dorchester which never ran with one. My preference would be 34031 Torrington.

Also an air-smoothed WC, wide cab with cut-down 4500g tender.

SR tank loco, G6 possibly most likely but I'd really love a W Class 2-6-4T or H16 pacific tank. Also some variety in M7s, i.e. not just long-frame pull-push fitted with sandboxes on the front splasher.....

Mid-size SR tender loco ideally a U or K mogul. Not expecting a Urie S15 while there are is still an apparent glut of the Maunsell ones kicking around. 

Coaching stock: BR 1949-converted Ironclad Pull-push set. Fully retooled bogie luggage van. Prize cattle van.

Wagons: Standard 8-plank open wagon, Banana van, Meat van, LSWR heavy road van (not the one Kernow are doing) that was also built for the ROD and which ended up with numerous non-SR owners post-WW1.  

See, something for (almost) everybody after all.

Being realistic. I'd be delighted with any one of the above locos; astonished and delighted by more than one. Mind you, the eastern bods got four in the 2020 programme....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 7

Only two more days to go, from now until then I'm just going to meditate on the pointlessness of trying to second-guess the commercial realities that inform the decisions made by Hornby in selecting what to produce for 2021.

OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..................

:senile:

Edited by Hroth
Extra emphasis, and spelin....
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Only two more days to go, from now until then I'm just going to meditate on the pointlessness of trying to second-guess the commercial realities that inform the decisions made by Hornby in selecting what to produce for 2021.

no imagination. its just a bit of fun so i say you only get one life, why not soak up a few seconds of mins having a guess with so many things in life that are out of our control-so what?.

87 006 in experimental grey livery please.  

16 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

The HST certainly does, but I remain to be convinced about the Class 87 having space for a speaker, it barely as space for a plain vanilla chip.

i "wish" they revisited the space provided inside for decoders and speakers.  

On 01/01/2021 at 12:16, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Am I missing something or does a Class 87 really not make very much noise? Can't you just hum as it goes 'round- you'd not be far off!

look up a few videos on you tube to hear the 4 x tractions motors of an 87 scream.    you are dead behind the ears if you still think they only go "hum".  I would concede that kettles dont just go chuff chuff chuff........

• Like 2

On the topic of TTS sounds. I would like to see the releases that were announced and then canceled. One In particular the Q6 as I had put preorders in. What TTS chips do others want? 

A lot of locos are manufactured ready for sound but Hornby has allowed others to produce full function sounds. 

5 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

I am sure it is hidden in the nearly 50 pages of speculation, but does anyone know what nominal time the announcement is on Tuesday ?

Thanks.

Would imagine about 9am normally isn't it?

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It will be 10am.

To explain a little further we will have our usual coverage of all the information here, not just the headline items. There will be separate topics for each of the main new items and a topic for each of the categories, e.g. steam locos, with the new liveries/numbers on existing tooling.

To make it a little different from usual each of the topics will have narrative from Simon Kohler and Montana Hoeren on the product backgrounds and choices of specific models.

As usual the reactions will, I'm sure, range from raised eyebrows to rolled eyeballs and I'll spend the worst part of the day deleting 'Nothing in it for me', 'Why don't they do it in N?' and 'My wallet...' comments that serve no useful purpose.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

41 minutes ago, DougN said:

On the topic of TTS sounds. I would like to see the releases that were announced and then canceled. One In particular the Q6 as I had put preorders in. What TTS chips do others want? 

A lot of locos are manufactured ready for sound but Hornby has allowed others to produce full function sounds. 

They have a really good 4f chip that has not been sold separately yet.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

To explain a little further we will have our usual coverage of all the information here, not just the headline items. There will be separate topics for each of the main new items and a topic for each of the categories, e.g. steam locos, with the new liveries/numbers on existing tooling.

To make it a little different from usual each of the topics will have narrative from Simon Kohler and Montana Hoeren on the product backgrounds and choices of specific models.

As usual the reactions will, I'm sure, range from raised eyebrows to rolled eyeballs and I'll spend the worst part of the day deleting 'Nothing in it for me', 'Why don't they do it in N?' and 'My wallet...' comments that serve no useful purpose.

"topic for each of the categories" is something I'm glad to read- saves me reading through 50 pages of stuff on steam locos, and saves the steam era modellers reading through 30 pages of post-steam stuff!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

To be fair , those will be the usual reactions to any new products . The flip side would be “ yes , I’m having one of everything “ or the slightly more boastful “ I’m having 20 of X to renumber “.

May be better just to do the announcements and lock any further comments .

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

"topic for each of the categories" is something I'm glad to read- saves me reading through 50 pages of stuff on steam locos, and saves the steam era modellers reading through 30 pages of post-steam stuff!

However, it would perhaps be helpful if BR green diesel locos (and the Class 120 DMU :jester:) could appear on both sides of The Great Divide.

John

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

There was reportedly a whole bunch of stuff skipped not long before the present management took over, so maybe, maybe not available. However, as I remember the model, it would only be fit for Railroad without full retooling.

John

Was there?  There has been at least one (oft requested for a re-run) item mentioned by a Hornby person as having the tooling 'lost' or destroyed where that is definitely not the case and the tooling still exists and is perfectly usable.  I suspect the lost/damaged applies really to only original Margate tooling which never left there and fell into decauy once anybody ceeased to look after it it.  I have a sneaking suspicion that if a model has been manufactured in China then the tooling for it is unlikely to have been destroyed although we obviously cannot discount the fact that it has been damaged.   

• Moderators
1 minute ago, rob D2 said:

May be better just to do the announcements and lock any further comments .

I have to balance it against those who have useful comment to make or sensible questions to ask.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

surely that should be OO-MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...........

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Was there?  There has been at least one (oft requested for a re-run) item mentioned by a Hornby person as having the tooling 'lost' or destroyed where that is definitely not the case and the tooling still exists and is perfectly usable.  I suspect the lost/damaged applies really to only original Margate tooling which never left there and fell into decauy once anybody ceeased to look after it it.  I have a sneaking suspicion that if a model has been manufactured in China then the tooling for it is unlikely to have been destroyed although we obviously cannot discount the fact that it has been damaged.   

Yes, Mike, whilst the 58 was from Margate tooling I'd forgotten there was at least one batch made after off-shoring took place. Were those altered at all?

Mind you, Hornby's operations in China over the past two decades have been more than a little nomadic so much may depend on who (if anyone) was keeping track of what was/is where through two or three major management clear-outs!

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

They have a really good 4f chip that has not been sold separately yet.

And in the Hornby Rockumentary of 2019.. they were sound recording the Terrier, which I don't think we've seen on a chip yet.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

One wonders 

2 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

I heard there was another 'Mission Impossible' in production, but thought that was a film....:D

Yes. It's a new Hornby model, where a helicopter flies down the Channel Tunnel. The problem is that the colour scheme is all wrong. However, Thomas Cruiser is alleged to endorse it. as being small in stature, he can fit inside it.....

I've spoken to Madge over at Tesco Westwood,  (She does the fruit & veg ). Both her and Lilly  at Lidl  (bakery )  have both been sworn to secrecy, so I guess we'll have to wait a couple of days.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I just work off their recent form and that suggests to me dieseasal/electric period re-liveries and maybe some detail tweaking;  possibly some newly tooled coaching stock;  something nobody saw coming or even thought of;   take a hint from what the commissioners (various) have under development but won't cost Hornby too much in tooling costs; and something 'big' in the steamy arena.  Company wise I reckon we can forget the GWR and the SR for new tooling items (sorry 'Dunsignalling' John) as they have had recent attention..

Just look back at the 2020 and 2019 announcements to get an idea.  Oh and sorry I missed out perhaps a new, highly detailed, wagon from the age of steam but with a long working life.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Railroad argument for a class 58

1. Its cheap

2. want the chip, not the loco.

3. its modern, for the kids.

Railroad argument against the class 58.

1. No one under 25 years old can really say they remember them in this country.

2. Most over 25 will want / already have a Heljan one, and are looking for a cheap chip for it.

3. its not Modern, its not relevant to kids

being a more complex 4 piece body, (isn't the cab clear plastic over-sprayed too). it probably wont be as cheap as a 2 piece ex-Lima body to produce, plus it needs expenditure to make it DCC compatible and possibly a new bespoke motor bogie, unlike all the other 6 and 4 wheelers which share common designs... all for an outdated model of a class that time and country has forgot... but then they did retool a chassis for a Railroad B17, to compete with their own Super detail B17, which was already heavily discounted to the same price... surely if this was a decision, a 26/27/33 would be easier  / cheaper to accomplish the same and still be as equally off the mark.

i cant see any of it myself.

if people want a DCC chip for a 58, just pony up and buy one.

i think Hornby would be mad to bring back the 58.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I think it's safe to say that Western has had a good innings in the last few years.  Southern, steam wise, what's left in RTR?  A K class mogul, the big Southern steam shunters, and Gladstone.

Oooh, I forgot all about Gladstone... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1