2021 hopes

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, InterCitySpud said:

I think everybody here actually love all trains.

Except for those appalling Crossrail bloated UndergrounD things - even 142s are better than them.

However I doubt either will be announced tomorrow by Hornby (but then you never know in the strange word of 2020s r-t-r where even something like the Turbomtive becomes a mainstream possibility).

• Like 2

Guest Jack Benson
22 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Big day tomorrow then ....

Final votes anyone?

Al.

Apologies to all, how and where is the announcement posted on the internet?

Stay Safe in 2021

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Thing is, though, models don't have to generate huge demand to be profitable, just sell out from the manufacturer within the budgeted timescale at not less than the wholesale price he needs to make his budgeted return. 

This is one reason for small production runs. It's not to do with making the the best profit that could have been made if it were possible to exactly predict demand, but hitting the target, not incurring  the cost of storing unsold stock and not eating into the overall return by having to dump a load at big discounts.  

Once out of the manufacturers hands, he just moves on to the next one. It matters not what retailers ask/get for them or whether speculators fleece those who missed out on "straight" purchases through indecision.

Some production levels are scarily low, I know not where the poster got his info but I've seen it mentioned that the recent Johnson 0-4-4Ts from Bachmann numbered just 2,000. Not of each version, in total! They are hard to find just a month after release which suggests it may be true. Just glad I pre-ordered (though only a few weeks before release).

The name of the game nowadays is making reliable levels of return, quickly, not risking feast or famine. The way to ensure that every time is to estimate what you think the market will just about stand, and make a couple hundred less.  Uncomfortable for some on our side of the fence, but healthily predictable for the industry.... 

John

It's been mentioned to me by someone in the trade that a typical run is 1,000 items, so I'd concur with this.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jack Benson said:

Apologies to all, how and where is the announcement posted on the internet?

Stay Safe in 2021

Andy will have a post with all the new releases including images on this forum ready for launch tomorrow its the best way to view as often Hornbys website struggles with to cope with demand on the day.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mel_H said:

It's been mentioned to me by someone in the trade that a typical run is 1,000 items, so I'd concur with this.

Which makes sense to be, but then why do Hornby do limited editions of 1000 if they typically only make that?

• RMweb Gold

Naughty Antics!

Some of those look as if they've run full tilt into a brick wall; I'm not buying any of them!

52 minutes ago, cages_cage said:

I'd bet a lot of money on Hornby announcing a Mk1 RB in WR chocolate/cream.... unless I am mistaken, and they never ran in that livery!

They've form in this, as Triang they released a scale length Buffet Car in this and crimson/cream, on B1 bogies; the great majority of this design were originally fitted with Commonwealths and none were built before 1960, when the crimson/cream livery had been out of use for 4 years.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

57 minutes ago, GordonC said:

If I remember right, 50% of them were used by Drax as corporate freebies while the remaining 50% were sold. So presumably the £83 cost was basically paying for 2 wagons to cover the costs of the freebies.

I'd be surprised if Drax turned down the publicity from allowing their tooling to be used again if there's no financial risk to them.

Hattons actually got a second batch from Drax, so more were sold. 

The wagons were that price because that was the run and if someone wanted them badly enough paid the price.  Plus they are something "special" and that should be maintained in my belief as a moral issue and out of respect for anyone who purchased them.  Not just cheapened, for the sake of it - like what happened with 66522 "Shanks" and the RTC Class 24.  There is a full powerhouse livery, which is different to the original and that could be done.  But who knows in this world.

Personally I'd expect 43185 to complete the celeb liveries - a suitable pairing being 43175, or 43179.

Apart from that - if it starts the way the year has ended.  Loads of stuff with incorrect colours and bits falling off!  Need I say more?  

Best Wishes,

Chris.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

That's a YouTube link, but it says "some of the models"

https://youtu.be/Ld1RUHInXFM

What it actually says is "Join Mike as he takes a look at some of the latest models from the Hornby 2021 Range Launch!" so the full-fat list will be on the Hornby web-site and here, with a few models on You Tube

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

There is a full powerhouse livery, which is different to the original and that could be done.

I'd happily accept some of the new liveried ones! There look to be quite a lot of variants of the vinyl too.

It's worth noting too that a lot of the other ones have large "NORTHERN POWERHOUSE" stickers on them, which I'd say is a big enough difference to make the originals exclusive to those who care about that.

Heaton Lodge East Junction, GBRf 66716 'Locomotive & Carriage Institution' 6E09 (07.11 Liverpool Biomass Term - Drax Aes) 28/10/20.

I actually expect that most people with these already would welcome more anyway. I bet there's quite a few people with 3 or 4 and they really want 10 but don't fancy remortgaging their house for it.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

What it actually says is "Join Mike as he takes a look at some of the latest models from the Hornby 2021 Range Launch!" so the full-fat list will be on the Hornby web-site and here, with a few models on You Tube

Hence why I stipulated "some of the models" i.e. not comprehensive.

I did see another YouTube link to a full range going through but I presume the link wouldn't be welcome here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Which makes sense to be, but then why do Hornby do limited editions of 1000 if they typically only make that?

That's a run though. They make much more than that. Places like Hattons get models by the pallet load. Most of which are already sold on pre-order.

For example the MR 1P 0-4-4Ts have sold out in most places, but Bachmann will probably do more runs depending on demand. Eventually they will probably do about ten runs and then release different versions.

But a Limited Edition is just that. Once done they don't do any more.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well i’m sticking with Austin 7 or the Fowler /Stanier  2-6-2t one day you never know. 

Coaches well I’ve bought /and built  LMS kits,  Stanier TO, CK,  and BCK so must be in the running on the grounds of bloody typical 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Does anyone know if Oxford will be making their announcement for 2021 tomorrow? I’ve been told that Hornby’s wagons are now being made to Oxford standards which is great,  it does deprive them of one of their biggest ranges if they stop making them having already handed over several buildings too... Could we see the J26 and J27 released in Hornby packaging?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ovbulleid said:

Does anyone know if Oxford will be making their announcement for 2021 tomorrow? I’ve been told that Hornby’s wagons are now being made to Oxford standards which is great,  it does deprive them of one of their biggest ranges if they stop making them having already handed over several buildings too... Could we see the J26 and J27 released in Hornby packaging?

Oxford normally announce at the Toy Fair whenever that is meant to have been.

I know it won't be happening physically, but might be worth keeping an eye out on their social media.

It was meant to be 19th to the 21st of January.

https://www.toyfair.co.uk/

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

I've got 5 quid on a Smokey Joe special wearing a mask with a GPS decoder so it shuts down if driven out of its local area. Skaledale range will include a large, disused Kent airport that you can stack up with 45 feet trailers from Oxford Diecast.

I might lose that five quid.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

That "would sell like hot cakes " assumption is one of my biggest bug bears on this forum, along with 

"X model is a no brainer"

And 

"The vast majority of modellers/adults over X age/ young people ..." Etc

Sorry old chap, I can't fully agree with that. When Hornby released the W4 Peckett, I surmised that the B2 Peckett was a 'no-brainer'. It would appear that on this occasion, my surmising was correct.  Naturally, I cant speak for everybody.   

Never mind, only 10+ hours tomorrow.

• Like 1

The Hornby engine shed will have a special blog release with the full range as well as the signal box video, then there are also hattons and their live stream as well as website page, Hornby magazine's usual full coverage, jenny kirk, and sam's trains are also gonna do a live stream on their respective channels about the releases too.

• Informative/Useful 2

24 minutes ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

The Hornby engine shed will have a special blog release with the full range as well as the signal box video, then there are also hattons and their live stream as well as website page, Hornby magazine's usual full coverage, jenny kirk, and sam's trains are also gonna do a live stream on their respective channels about the releases too.

Here's hoping that the wide range of viewing options tomorrow morning will stop RMweb and the Hornby website from crashing or slowing to a snail's pace as they do every year. 

Cheers,

• Like 2
  • Agree 1