2021 hopes

Hilux5972

18 minutes ago, micklner said:

How many people model preserved lines

Whats a B16 to do with a S160

DJH made one for the European market thats is why it HO

The only one who will know if they sell is Hornby . As said their choice.

I model the LNER , I doubt very much if I would buy one, too smaller time frame for useage, only used for 12 months in the middle of the war , not a popular period of modelling either.

If they were cheap and they wont be !! then who knows.

Plenty. But you also have the market that buy things they like. Most people know them from heritage railways. People tend to buy things they know and like.

Prime example is the USA tanks. Only ever worked at Southampton Docks and as Departmental locomotives. Some worked in the UK during the war. Some are preserved. They flew off the shelves with only a couple of unpopular liveries remaining. Maybe they shouldn't have bothered as nobody models Southampton Docks.

Because when we have these threads every post by you and another individual is virtually saying "Don't make that, make a B16 or A2 instead". Then posting a photograph of your own. If they did make one are you going to buy one then? Or is it a case of I've got one! Which makes the suggestion a bit daft if you aren't going to buy one.

I understand the idea of promoting your favourite railway. I look at your thread. But it does seem a case of pooh poohing everything else to achieve that end. 

DJH. They did the same for the WDs. They first made them in H0, then made them in 00. Unfortunately they seem to have stopped making new 4mm models and discontinued most of the range. So the chance of them making a kit is probably zero.

Now would I buy one? Yes. Big Jim as on the K&WVR. Which first arrived in the 1970s. That's nearly fifty years. Much longer than the LNER was even in existence.

Jason

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Class 31/4s in BR Blue and the one off 31413 Severn Valley Railway one-off livery.

As much chance as finding caribbean pirates in Croydon.

There must be 30 liveries awaiting to be explored in Headcode 31’s.

Ive given up awaiting that day, ive upgraded my Lima fleet instead.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I think two things happen when we get our hands on froth/wishlist topics such as this one,  Firstly, and unsuprisingly, we mention models we'd personally like to see made for our own selfish reasons, or liveries we'd like to see existing models brought out in, or retoolings, and secondly, realising that there's more to life than our own needs, use the opportunity to suggest to the manufacturers (whom we assume read this stuff)  models that we may not want ourselves but which we think would sell well/fly off the shelves (don't want to be in the shop without a crash helmet when that happens).  We may or may not be correct in our assessment of how airborne such prospective items are likely to be when they are put on shelves and not chained down, but this is not how manufacturers think!

I am reminded that BMC/British Leyland/Rover never made a penny out of their most popular product, the mini.  It cost at least as much to produce as a normal family saloon sized car but, because it was smaller, and sold on being cheap to run, easy to park, and, later, on it's 'groovy' image as a young person's car, could not be marketed at a price that would have made a profit.  It remained in production for many years and no doubt contributed significantly to the company's downfall (not saying there weren't other problems as well!).  When BMW re-issued it, trading on the sporty/practical image, they made it as a more or less normal size car, not really a mini at all!

The point being that the popularity of an item does not neccessarily relate to how much money you can make from producing and selling it, and this is what Hornby must consider;  they are not out of the woods yet and may not be for some time, and when they are, they will need to avoid money drains like the mini no matter how much we keep demanding them.  They will rely on their own experience and their own marketing people and production costing engineers when deciding what to make in preference to taking too much notice of us, for that way lies recievership...

This is why I build, operate, and own, model railways instead of making and selling them on a competitive market.  I'm a middling modeller at best, but I'd be a hopeless entreprenuer! 

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

14 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Roco make the HO gauge S160.

Hang on, I know Roco is a Fleishmann brand but isn't there some tie-up between Roco and Hornby?  (Hornby market Roco couplers under some sort of licence agreement)

That could mean that they have easy access to the CAD drawings which makes it a lot easier to produce the model.

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Plenty. But you also have the market that buy things they like. Most people know them from heritage railways. People tend to buy things they know and like.

Prime example is the USA tanks. Only ever worked at Southampton Docks and as Departmental locomotives. ....

Now would I buy one? Yes. Big Jim as on the K&WVR. Which first arrived in the 1970s. That's nearly fifty years. Much longer than the LNER was even in existence.

Jason

Jason,

Really sorry to interupt your positive prose for modelling preserved railways, but you seem to have my script.

Iirc this is your script, saying preserved stuff doesnt sell..

Preserved locomotives don't sell particularly well and never have done. They are the ones that always end up in the bargain bins (apart from Flying Scotsman that is).

Jason

I recall being your alterego in that discussion, which it is my line to defend how popular preserved stuff is.

Has lockdown changed your thoughts ?

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

IF you want to model a British based working wartime S.160 it will need a set of cab blackout covers.  Has any RTR manufacturer managed to model one successfully that will go around corners ?

Dapol’s A4 has a rainsheet between loco and tender.

6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Prime example is the USA tanks. Only ever worked at Southampton Docks and as Departmental locomotives. Some worked in the UK during the war. Some are preserved. They flew off the shelves with only a couple of unpopular liveries remaining. Maybe they shouldn't have bothered as nobody models Southampton Docks.

Because when we have these threads every post by you and another individual is virtually saying "Don't make that, make a B16 or A2 instead". Then posting a photograph of your own. If they did make one are you going to buy one then? Or is it a case of I've got one! Which makes the suggestion a bit daft if you aren't going to buy one.

I understand the idea of promoting your favourite railway. I look at your thread. But it does seem a case of pooh poohing everything else to achieve that end. 

DJH. They did the same for the WDs. They first made them in H0, then made them in 00. Unfortunately they seem to have stopped making new 4mm models and discontinued most of the range. So the chance of them making a kit is probably zero.

Jason

Great example to quote.

USA Tanks a limited edition of ten versions and now ModelRail are reducing the price  to try and sell the last four versions off, as they still havent managed to sell them all, after how long ? .

Hornby dont work that way, they cant afford to. All they want to do is sell all the stock asap,and move on to the next subject. Perhaps you didnt know, or need more research before making comments.

My choice on what I do or dont do. For people who do not know what that loco looks like , it maybe a good example for them to see easily with a photo. Simply none of your concern what I buy one way or the other, thanks for asking  . Please post all your models where they are appropriatte in the future, or even easier, do me a favour simply dont read my posts, you wont get another response from me.

I have no idea who the mystery "one other" is. I have never told anyone, dont buy this or that , thats their decision to make alone . 

Where is the evidence of the " pooh pooh " or me telling people what to buy or not ? That appears to be your game not mine.

If the S160 is made ,then buy dozens if you wish !!

Edited by micklner
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, RichardT said:

In an ideal world we'd have had 2401 for Hull's year as City of Culture, and then a release of the other names as a limited edition over several years!

That would be the one I'd be getting! That said, Hornby could have easily done the Gresley B17 named "Hull City" in 2017 and they didn't. I believe there was a HST set decorated for the City of Culture celebrations as well.

Let's see if they do 6240 "City of Coventry" this year!

• Like 1

As Frothfest 2021 has (semi) officially started I thought I’d add my 2ps worth.  Please note this is not a wish list but my thoughts on what might be on Hornby's  radar;  

firstly I’m feeling that a Saint might just be on the cards and I wouldn't  be surprised to see some Toplight coaches to go with her.  

Secondly i’m not seeing any LNER steam this year but we may se an original Patriot as the new build is getting close, and some more Period three coaches. 

A period one engine may be coming and Lion may be it but I seem to remember reading that the tender currently with her is not the original so that may be an issue.

A new decent wagon is a fair bet and I’m thinking an iron mink or similar wouldn’t totally surprise me.

a WOW model, something that no one saw coming that will grab the headlines, I leave the identity to our fevered imaginations!

and finally an industrial which I wouldn’t be totally shocked to see a being a Manning Whadle (think of the light railway liveries).

My personal wishlist? All I'd really want to see is a D16 in some more liveries; just give me one in BR Green!!

I'd like to see the 8F be re-released/ tooled, & also to bring back the Railroad range 121, but for actual new models, I could see an E4 or J69. I think a Maunsell Z class would be nice; outside of my region but I'd consider getting one if Hornby did one...

Honestly don't know why as well Hornby haven't branched into the narrow gauge market, I think a basic set would sell like hotcakes imho. Wouldn't be surprised if we got some narrow gauge stuff from them

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

That's just a bog standard de streamlined Duchess tender. Type 1. Virtually every Duchess Hornby has made has got one.

Different types of Duchess tender.

1 Welded tender with streamlining removed, high front cut-out, twin water fillers, rear ladder, standard axleboxes.

2 Welded tender with low front cut-out, standard axleboxes and rear steps on the frames, external tubular air vents. Built for the conventional locomotives. Five built.

3 Part welded tender with high front cut-out, short spring hangers and rear steps on the frames.

4 Part welded tender with low front cut-out, roller bearing axleboxes, rear steps on the frames and external tubular air vents.

There was only three type 3 and two type 4.

Jason

No it's not.

It's half way between a streamlined tender and the destreamlined one they had when the streamlining was removed. Again Hornby have never made it. Look closer at the photo of the bottom of the tender sides and the chassis near the axle boxes. The streamlined parts for want of a better term, are still there. The rest of the tender is how they all ended up in the end. It would be a new tooling one Hornby haven't done before.

• Like 1

Don't think it will be a very big release like this year, also because there are long delay's for this year models, so i think the following items will come

A retooling of the Fowler 2P 4-4-0 and/ or Gresley D49 4-4-0 both not appeared for years in the catalogue, so there could been working on a retooling.

A LBSCR K class  2-6-0  would be a lovely model for a long time period 1913-1962

GWR buffet car H41 for the Collet coaches to complete a Bristolian train.[ one example in NRM]

New liveries of the new Coronation Scot coaches in LMS crimson ,BR liveries 

and one or two newly tooled wagons, and many new liveries of the plank wagons that are selling very well.

Edited by Cor-onGRT4
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Based on what I've seen people saying, I think the blue Pullman liveried HST would be a good seller. Even though I don't model the era's that some of these models are in, I wouldn't be surprised to see these, maybe not all for this years announcement, but one can dream:

New tooling:
LMS Stanier TPO (in LMS and BR liveries) OR a Gresley TPO - To rival Bachmann's MK1 TPO.
LNWR Claughton
Class 82, 83, or 84 (It would make sense for Bachmann to produce the class 81, seeing as it shares the same bogies with their already produced class 85)

- Please Hornby, I'm dying for more AC electrics!!

Retool:
Stanier 8F
Black 5

New Liveries of already tooled products:
Blue Pullman HST
Sir William Stanier FRS in black
BR liveries of the newly announced coronation coaches

Edited by thohurst
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Blue Pullman and Colas HST power cars would surely be the last hurrah, given how many HST power cars have been turned out.

Colas HST would work with the Network Rail mk2’s.

They could always look to do EMR ((ex- LNER) power cars and release EMR mk3’s, given how rare EMT mk3’s are.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, DutyDruid said:

Hang on, I know Roco is a Fleishmann brand but isn't there some tie-up between Roco and Hornby?  (Hornby market Roco couplers under some sort of licence agreement)

That could mean that they have easy access to the CAD drawings which makes it a lot easier to produce the model.

The Roco S160 is at a price UK modellers would never pay.

Roco drew up 5197 at Cheddleton iirc when making theirs and used drawings from AKRR 557.

At some point i’d expect Roco to do a UK preserved s160 and Alaska 557, they are quite popular in Europe, but the running ones are here. Theyve made several already (US Zone Austria, FS, USATC, US France forces, China, CSD etc).

Fantastic model, moves on nothing, pulls anything, smooth as silk and really nice detail, but all the things UK modellers hate.. Tender drive, tyres and a high price.

To make a UK Spec OO gauge model, I would imagine is quite hard.. it would need a Heljan style metal “block” containing a motor in the boiler, with a gear train through the firebox, and probably join the wheels too . The boiler would need to be separate tooling to the frames, due to the wide gap that exists.

personally i’m really happy with my HO S160’s and am not sure a OO one would meet the same spec & quality. That said I see the attraction, whilst not much exists in 1944/45 liveries, plus LMR, in preservation weve had quite some fun with BR, LMR, USATC Black, Grey, Red, chrome lettering and PKP.

My first encounter with an S160 was 5820 at the ELR 30 odd years back.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I was told today by a friend, who has a mate, who has a mate down the pub, who knows someone at Hornby and he said that high on Hornby’s radar for 2021 release is the Scotrail Class 153’s.  

Normally I dismiss this kind of nonsense because even though my friend is rock sold, the chatter he gets is fanciful to say the least.  Having said that, a couple of things that he’s been told by A. N. Other, have materialised.

Edited by jools1959
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Any reason as to why people keep wanting the Black 5 and 8F retooled?? How much can they improved? 

It's not that anybody would want that (especially seeing as they're pretty decent already), I think perhaps it's just expected considering the duchess, princess, and various other retools over the past couple of years of older models from the same time.

Edited by thohurst
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, thohurst said:

It's not that anybody would want that (especially seeing as they're pretty decent already), I think perhaps it's just expected considering the duchess, princess, and various other retools over the past couple of years of older models from the same time.

Thanks for the clarification, I'm not just referring to the predictions. I've actually seen a lot of people say that the Black 5 and Std 8F need a re-tool. And I'm struggling to see how they can be improved. The Duchess and Princess Coronation Class had room for improvement.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Cor-onGRT4 said:

GWR buffet car H41 for the Collet coaches to complete a Bristolian train.[ one example in NRM]

I agree, a GWR buffet car is a good shout for 2021. We had the Maunsell one a couple of years ago and the MK1 RB in 2020. 

In terms of reliveries/extensions of the existing tooling how about the J15 as the original GER Y14 (as preserved at the North Norfolk Railway)? Lovely deep blue pre-grouping livery. 

The RailRoad HST seemed to sell through so how about that in INTERCITY  swallow livery for those of us who remember the 1990s fondly but don’t have deep enough pockets for the ‘full fat’ versions?

Edited by MrTea
Random line break
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Has anyone spotted differences in the two images supplied by 'thefin' a couple of posts back?

Brian

Thats interesting isn’t it . Haven’t the vaguest notion of the significance of that . But how could that happen . Would Cuneo have painted different versions of his painting , or is it just digitally enhanced ? If it is , why would you do it? Maybe to fit the portrait instead of Landscape format ? All very intriguing .

It is , of course, the 50th anniversary of that catalogue dating from 1971 and the introduction of Evening Star . It maybe no more significant than that. 

• Agree 2

On 05/12/2020 at 23:08, Markwj said:

Just seen a Facebook post from Hornby to state there are 350 new products in the new catalogue. 

19 hours ago, Clearwater said:

I suspect a fairly broad definition of new to include any relivery as well as genuinely new tooling!

And many of those new items won’t be rolling stock. 

Track pins in 250 additional length and width combinations, anyone?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5