2021 hopes

Hilux5972

2021 Hopes, as I don't need these until 2022! Hornby or anyone..

Class 81, ACs are cool now.

Class 310/312 AM10 EMU - zillions of liveries but I'll have a blue and a blue grey please, 4 car sets, I'll pay anything you want.

MK2Bs. Nothing since Lima FFS! To include TSOT thank you.

MK1 RKB.  From steamers to today so everyone's a winner. (Babe)

Oh and some decent drop in place MK1 multi track portals and catenary to run it all under, but hopefully that's on its way!

Good luck all..

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, The Stationmaster said:

I just work off their recent form and that suggests to me dieseasal/electric period re-liveries and maybe some detail tweaking;  possibly some newly tooled coaching stock;  something nobody saw coming or even thought of;   take a hint from what the commissioners (various) have under development but won't cost Hornby too much in tooling costs; and something 'big' in the steamy arena.  Company wise I reckon we can forget the GWR and the SR for new tooling items (sorry 'Dunsignalling' John) as they have had recent attention..

Just look back at the 2020 and 2019 announcements to get an idea.  Oh and sorry I missed out perhaps a new, highly detailed, wagon from the age of steam but with a long working life.

The other two groups/regions, especially the Eastern, but also LMS Pacifics have had more recent and extensive attention, though.

Coach-wise, the LNER perhaps lag the rest, and all the new big stuff deserves some better (and more logically selected) Gresley corridors which would also attract the rest of us for inter-regional use.

If we're talking steam, I feel that each of the big four companies/regions has a fairly equal chance of something properly new.  However, there may be an assumption that the Eastern boys may have their hands full (and wallets empty) with what's already imminent so maybe the retooled A3 is for 2022.

That leaves pre-group, which is so diverse as to be wholly unpredictable (to me anyhow), and BR standards. a Clan back from the dead, perhaps? A 5MT possibly -green and named (though not both) and overdue for attention by the current producer....

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Railroad argument for a class 58

1. Its cheap

2. want the chip, not the loco.

3. its modern, for the kids.

Railroad argument against the class 58.

1. No one under 25 years old can really say they remember them in this country.

2. Most over 25 will want / already have a Heljan one, and are looking for a cheap chip for it.

3. its not Modern, its not relevant to kids

snipped

But as a matter of interest how many folk in the more general area of model railway/trainset buyers are familiar with all sorts of things offered by the various 'manufacturers. and commissioners?  Hornby have reportedly 'sold out' to some retailers of one version of the LNER 10000 and you'd have to be well over 90 to have any sensible personal memories of that in its original form and its nearly 62 years since the rebuilt version was withdrawn.

As ever, I come back to what sort of railways are familiar to youngsters?  Unless they travel to school using the train I bet the only sort of railway the overwhelming majority of pre-teenagers (and many teenagers) have ever seen up close or have ridden on was one using steam engines and, most likely by the law of averages, Mk1 coaching stock (or something even older than a Mk1).  As for diesels and DMUs they're also far more likely to have seen, ridden on, or been hauled by something from the late 1950s/60s than anything built since the  1990s

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Downer said:

I predict Big Bertha, a streamlined P2, the Turbomotive, the Great Bear and a new range of display cabinets. :)

Out of that lot you're bound to get something right - even if it's only the display cabinets :jester:  BTW you missed out the Reid- Macleod turbomotive and the GER Decapod but I suppose there has to be something unusual left for KR to pick up?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

17 hours ago, TomScrut said:

How thick were the steel plates? If only a few mm then printed would look better anyway as I think etched letters would look too bulky.

I think the other thing though is most people would rather pay the £5-£10 more to have them fitted properly if that was the thing. Despite me not being phased by fitting stuff like that if it was going to be a faff (individual lettering etc) I'd probably accept paying more for the hassle as it's a means to an end not an enjoyable process in my book. But whilst they aren't of interest to me I wish they had done the sliding door HST and MK2F at that price and put the lighting and interior in. I'll have to do it myself some day!

When Hornby produced the 'Coronation' A4s the steel-plated numbers and lettering were simply printed onto the loco and tender. Likewise the stainless steel strip that ran along the bottom of the valances and the tender chassis (which didn't line up with the loco as a result).R3197_1504370_Qty1_2.jpg.0a653dcd94e3af82a4a324d73f98dd83.jpg

IMHO, Hornby would stick with printed characters on streamlined stock as a safer option, leaving more accomplished modellers to add their own etched letters. Fingers firmly crossed for some LNER 'flyers'...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I think it's safe to say that Western has had a good innings in the last few years.  Southern, steam wise, what's left in RTR?  A K class mogul, the big Southern steam shunters, and Gladstone.

Oooh, I forgot all about Gladstone... 

APART from the K-class, there are the Q-class 0-6-0s and U-class 2-6-0s and, of course, the L1 4-4-0 which Tri-ang did.   The K-class could be popular as it was built in the LBSC era.

AND,  there are a load of EMUs, especially the 4-COR and 4-SUB.

------------

The LBSC C2 / C2X 0-6-0s are also a possibility.  The C2X were a later rebuild with larger boilers, 29 of which had a very distinctive double dome.

Edited by phil gollin
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Right, with just a couple of days to go, I think it's close enough to release my inner wish-lister. Wholly Southern....

Retooled rebuilt MN, with cut-down 5000g tender, ideally 35007 Aberdeen Commonwealth. Retooled rebuilt MN, with rebodied 5250g tender, ideally 35002 Union Castle. 

Air-smoothed MN in late condition with cut-down tender, any or all of:

35001 Channel Packet (5000g), 35011 General Steam Navigation (5100g) or 35021 New Zealand Line (6000g).

If I have to pick, 35011....

Rebuilt WC with 5250 rebodied tender, obvious choices would be 34046 and 34059 as preserved. Please, not Barnstaple or Dorchester which never ran with one. My preference would be 34031 Torrington.

Also an air-smoothed WC, wide cab with cut-down 4500g tender.

SR tank loco, G6 possibly most likely but I'd really love a W Class 2-6-4T or H16 pacific tank. Also some variety in M7s, i.e. not just long-frame pull-push fitted with sandboxes on the front splasher.....

Mid-size SR tender loco ideally a U or K mogul. Not expecting a Urie S15 while there are is still an apparent glut of the Maunsell ones kicking around. 

Coaching stock: BR 1949-converted Ironclad Pull-push set. Fully retooled bogie luggage van. Prize cattle van.

Wagons: Standard 8-plank open wagon, Banana van, Meat van, LSWR heavy road van (not the one Kernow are doing) that was also built for the ROD and which ended up with numerous non-SR owners post-WW1.  

See, something for (almost) everybody after all.

Being realistic. I'd be delighted with any one of the above locos; astonished and delighted by more than one. Mind you, the eastern bods got four in the 2020 programme....

John

I do feel that, given some of the curiosities announced / released in the past few years, the H16 / W / U should be ‘when, not if’ at this stage. I’m sure any of them would do very well. Personally I’d love the H16 — given H’s penchant for S15/N15 type things it can’t be too much of a stretch.

Edit for an afterthought — perhaps they’ll go left-field and we’ll get an H15 ‘chonker’! 

Edited by Calidore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Calidore said:

I do feel that, given some of the curiosities announced / released in the past few years, the H16 / W / U should be ‘when, not if’ at this stage. I’m sure any of them would do very well. Personally I’d love the H16 — given H’s penchant for S15/N15 type things it can’t be too much of a stretch.

I agree, the Southern is the only member of the big four for which there is no r-t-r large tank engine.

I define that as ten wheels or more, and before you all start counting on your fingers, Adams Radials don't count as large on that or any other basis. It also rules out the Z but I feel traffic engines would be more useful to more of us than big shunters/bankers.  

We're probably safe from a Brighton Baltic until somebody decides to build a new full-size one, though!

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Ooh, I didn’t realise “ 2021 hopes “ was just a thin cover for a wish list .

Hornby - just release more stuff with the good tools you have . Class 56 large logo, transrail. Class 60 transrail without sound , class 31 blue with headcode box .....whilst at it , get rid of 8 pin DCC sockets.  

Can’t see the old 58 coming back , just so they have something to put a TTS in - egg before chicken . And even the decent version by Heljan , was of such great sales power to them , they sub leased it to EFE , thus washing their hands .

Edited by rob D2

16 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Can’t see the old 58 coming back , just so they have something to put a TTS in - egg before chicken . And even the decent version by Heljan , was of such great sales power to them , they sub leased it to EFE , thus washing their hands .

You are making it sound like Heljan offloaded the 58 as a distress sale, which I don't think is correct.  Heljan are still making the 58, just retailing it via Bachmann's greater number of sales outlets, and with decent livery application which Heljan managed to mess up with their first release.  I'm more inclined to think this was a mutually beneficial commercial decision by both parties.  Certainly for a while you could only get the 58 via a well known "Marmite" retailer based in Yorkshire which would have instantly depressed sales, and the previous release had livery flaws and then fell foul of Heljan's temporary cooling off to the UK market.

Personally I'm pleased the model has resurfaced via the "EFE" brand and absolutely have no interest in Hornby resurrecting their model which was new when I was still (just) at secondary school, a long time ago.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

You are making it sound like Heljan offloaded the 58 as a distress sale, which I don't think is correct.  Heljan are still making the 58, just retailing it via Bachmann's greater number of sales outlets, and with decent livery application which Heljan managed to mess up with their first release.  I'm more inclined to think this was a mutually beneficial commercial decision by both parties.  Certainly for a while you could only get the 58 via a well known "Marmite" retailer based in Yorkshire which would have instantly depressed sales, and the previous release had livery flaws and then fell foul of Heljan's temporary cooling off to the UK market.

Personally I'm pleased the model has resurfaced via the "EFE" brand and absolutely have no interest in Hornby resurrecting their model which was new when I was still (just) at secondary school, a long time ago.

If Heljan are still “ making it “ why would the livery application improve ?

As far as I thought they have offloaded the whole kit and caboodle to EFE, otherwise all you introduce is another company who wants a cut of any profit .

And to be honest it would have been easy to carry on making it and get more/ better distributors

5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think they were asking for TTS for a 58. I then said "will they ever do that if they don't make the model anymore". I don't think anybody has specifically said "I want the Hornby 58 bringing back to life with a TTS chip in it". Could be the OP wanted to solder it into a Hornby one, or could have been for an EFE/Heljan one.

But surely that's the same thing?

Hornby aren't going to release an accessory for a model they don't make. So you're either going to get a Hornby Class 58 with TTS, or nothing. 

Seems you all want nothing since the two people who brought up the idea has pooh, poohed the idea....

Personally couldn't care less. It was just a suggestion, but yet again my posts get twisted into something they weren't even about....

4 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

no imagination. its just a bit of fun so i say you only get one life, why not soak up a few seconds of mins having a guess with so many things in life that are out of our control-so what?.

87 006 in experimental grey livery please.  

I've put my tuppenceworth in several times over the last 50 pages (50!) so I think I might as well contemplate the infinite now....   :whistle:

• Funny 1

13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

But surely that's the same thing?

Hornby aren't going to release an accessory for a model they don't make. So you're either going to get a Hornby Class 58 with TTS, or nothing. 

Seems you all want nothing since the two people who brought up the idea has pooh, poohed the idea....

Personally couldn't care less. It was just a suggestion, but yet again my posts get twisted into something they weren't even about....

And that was the whole point I was making. Somebody wanted TTS for a 58. I said "do they actually make TTS for stuff they don't make anymore" with the thought process being it would be unlikely.

I have no interest in the 58 from a purchasing perspective I was just talking to somebody about them wanting TTS for a model I presume they already have, which could be make by Heljan for all I know.

45 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

As far as I thought they have offloaded the whole kit and caboodle to EFE, otherwise all you introduce is another company who wants a cut of any profit .

Check out the EFE threads - EFE is a way for Bachmann to co-operate with others in bringing their tooling to a wider audience - it just isn't Heljan but also Kernow (and perhaps others, can't recall) who have taken advantage of the additional sales against their tooling at no risk (as Bachmann are taking the risk of an item not selling).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

For Hornby's nostalgic 0 gauge model I suggest an electric version of the 0-4-0 that Hornby produced in various forms from 1931 to 1961 as No 0, 1, 501 and 50 and 51.  I had the clockwork LNER and LMS versions of 501. They went at a scale 300mph and would do about three circuits of my track but an electric version would run more realistically.  Numbers 50 in BR green and 51 in BR black were smartly lined out and finished in gloss.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, JSpencer said:

I hope Hornby move into Cosplay and do the full Wonder Woman costume in real leather. Well, they do have the Warner Brothers rights....

Or at least some 1/76th scale Wonder Woman figures for the layout.

It might be interesting, and certainly revelatory, to see what DVDs you have on your shelves ;) :jester:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Fishoutofwater said:

Bulleid 59ft carriages in blood & custard

We've been waiting several years for the low-window Maunsell "Somerset & Dorset" 3-set to be released in that livery, so it might be a while..... 

John

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I hope Hornby move into Cosplay and do the full Wonder Woman costume in real leather. Well, they do have the Warner Brothers rights....

Or at least some 1/76th scale Wonder Woman figures for the layout.

Thank god for cosplay . It’s then I remember I am at “ beginner “ geek level...

9D52A345-95E0-4B6D-9A1B-6559C4DCD24E.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It might be interesting, and certainly revelatory, to see what DVDs you have on your shelves ;) :jester:

No, no it wouldn't. Let's keep the last few unsullied minds on Earth in blissful ignorance, shall we?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Thank god for cosplay . It’s then I remember I am at “ beginner “ geek level...

Don't be too hard on yourself - several of those people aren't even trying:

1 - straight from work, didn't bother to get changed;

2 - straight from work with Thames Water, hopefully had a shower;

3- straight from work as Phil Jupitus impersonator (unfortunately is allergic to pies);

4 - straight from unsuccessful interview with Network Rail for postion of emergency TSR commencement indicator (wrong outfit and forgot hat).

Studio_20210103_153506.png.c9501c8f50ebdbcafd08326fa03122ef.png

• Funny 6