Track cleaning wagons - what do you think? Which works?

ITG

• RMweb Gold

As I have a fair run of track (storage loops etc) of my OO layout below an upper board, I’m wondering about buying a track cleaning wagon of some type. As it will be purely for this purpose, I’m not concerned about prototypical appearance, or even if it’s clearly based on USA version.

I’ve read a few mixed reviews of the Dapol one, and note that the CMX model is highly regarded (so it should be at some £250!). What is your experience?

Has anyone tried the Bachmann model? Or the Proses car?

Thanks

19 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

More fabric strip than felt pads and the arms have weights in them

I thought that is what you are referring to, in fact these wagons or I should say base is made by a German man. I have 6 of them running around the layout. One tip don’t get additional felt pads for it. Go to Tesco they have the same felt cleaning cloths for £1 a pack, the yellow ones. Get some two sided tape and make your own. These wagons are very effective.

i also use the cmx cleaner with IPA, 3 Lux vacuum wagons and the rotating drum wagon that has various cleaning drums from felt to a sort of scouring drum that you can change. And also trains run through the Lux wheel cleaner which aids in keeping track clean.

finally I also hand clean and vacuum various areas as part of a cleaning schedule, the agent I use is similar to IPA and comes from a German supplier and is much more effective than IPA. I can supply details if required.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that a track cleaning wagon should be easy to make. Take any wagon of a suitable size, trim off chassis parts and add some kind of weighted pad that runs along the railtops. I haven't done this but would like to.

So what are the characteristics of the decent ones? What makes the cmx wagon so good and the other one bad?

I imagine that swinging arms weighted down could be effective, though could that only run in the trailing direction?

I have an old triang hopper wagon. I was thinking of drilling through the floor and mounting the cleaning pad (hardboard?) on pegs with light springs in the hopper to push it down. 

Thoughts appreciated.

I'd love to have an effective 00-gauge track cleaning wagon. But my problem is that on my layout, over 90% of my track is 4-rail (London Underground style) with the two power rails raised 1mm above running rail height, i.e. similar to prototype.

If anyone knows of a 00-gauge track cleaning wagon that will work on my layout, please post the details in this thread.

4railsman

• Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

What makes the cmx wagon so good and the other one bad?

I imagine that swinging arms weighted down could be effective, though could that only run in the trailing direction?

The CMX through its design and weight, the Dapol due to its scaling up of an effective N gauge Tomix one without any regard to weight and practicality. The swinging arms on the Ten Commandments one drop down substantially and by their curved ends IME work in both directions

IMG_20201205_100536996~3.jpg

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Premium

I saw something on a layout where a few goods Guard's Vans (and maybe coaches?) had a small trailing device fitted to them. Not noticeable and I think it was an abrasive strip similar to fine abrasive paper and with a small weight device. As the trains ran regular Timetables on the man lines that seemed to be enough to cope with out of reach areas. The Fiddle Yards were easily reached by hand as was the main line runs, however they were very well detailed and with many small fittings so not so easy to just rub with stuff.

I find the difficulty arises with Peco C75 NS when no trains run for long periods, as during this lockdown when I have been indisposed.  DCC and with even only occasional running (say an hour or so in a fortnight) used to be absolutely fine with the occasional whizz with the old Peco Track Rubber.

The 24' X 8' roundy, roundy layout is situated in a loft with a clean (if very untidy) environment and carefully insulated.

Thanks for the tips though.

P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The CMX through its design and weight, the Dapol due to its scaling up of an effective N gauge Tomix one without any regard to weight and practicality. The swinging arms on the Ten Commandments one drop down substantially and by their curved ends IME work in both directions

IMG_20201205_100536996~3.jpg

I wouldn’t recommend running it backwards as it can derail

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 4railsman said:

I'd love to have an effective 00-gauge track cleaning wagon. But my problem is that on my layout, over 90% of my track is 4-rail (London Underground style) with the two power rails raised 1mm above running rail height, i.e. similar to prototype.

If anyone knows of a 00-gauge track cleaning wagon that will work on my layout, please post the details in this thread.

4railsman

I have a pair of the old Triang track cleaning wagons which work quite well.  I use IPA as the cleaning fluid.  There used to be someone who sold replacement felt strips on ebay - haven't needed to check for ages.  Not sure if this is who I've bought from in the past:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-Replacement-Track-Cleaning-Felt-pads-for-Tri-ang-Hornby-R-344-Track-Cleaner/164266958864?hash=item263f12e010:g:gZ4AAOSw5ZBWP5AY

The Lanarkshire Model Supplies conversion of a Hornby brake van works well . It has a brass , insulated roller around which you attach strips of a J cloth material . Samples are provided  to start  you off but replacements can be cut from J cloths . Cheap and effective . I use IPA as a cleaning fluid .

Mine is converted to EM gauge and is pushed in front of a Bachman 25 all wheel drive diesel .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, 1466 said:

The Lanarkshire Model Supplies conversion of a Hornby brake van works well . It has a brass , insulated roller around which you attach strips of a J cloth material . Samples are provided  to start  you off but replacements can be cut from J cloths . Cheap and effective . I use IPA as a cleaning fluid .

Mine is converted to EM gauge and is pushed in front of a Bachman 25 all wheel drive diesel .

I agree. It's also a bit more inconspicuous if you want to use it on a layout all the time rather than just an occasional run. 

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_197.htm

One for modern era here.

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_198.htm

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 1466 said:

The Lanarkshire Model Supplies conversion of a Hornby brake van works well ... I use IPA as a cleaning fluid ...

How do you fix the J-cloth to the drum?  The only time I tried IPA on mine, the tape came unstuck.

3 hours ago, spikey said:

How do you fix the J-cloth to the drum?  The only time I tried IPA on mine, the tape came unstuck.

this sounds very similar to an American product, you don’t actually wet the j-cloth. The cloth goes on the drum so it does not unravel as it turns, the idea is the drum slips very slightly due to its weight. That’s how mine works

6F8BC203-87BA-411A-8AC6-A8D6579A5CAD.jpeg

• Agree 1

I use Tamika masking tape cut to the width of the drum for the uncut end and applied with an overlap . Then a thin strip at right angles to the narrow tongue end of the J cloth . The direction of travel and rotation makes a difference.... sorry  if this sounds like Grandma sucking eggs  . The J cloth can catch on points especially facing points and IPA will soft the adhesive . I tend to do a wet run and then replace the J cloth with dry . I’ve also used methylated spirits . 

57 minutes ago, 1466 said:

I use Tamika masking tape cut to the width of the drum for the uncut end ...

Cheers.  That's basically what I tried before I settled on Plan B.  That consisted of making a plasticard "box" full of lead which sits in the "well" vacated by the brass roller, to the bottom of which I fit a rectangle of hardboard textured side down.  I dampen that with IPA, do a lap or two, then take it out and replace it with the roller and J-cloth, and do a lap or two dry.  Works for me :)

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a pair like Andymsa's. I tie the material to the drum with thread. The front unit has the pad soaked (lightly) with a track cleaning fluid (Aeromodels, I think) and the second one runs behind it dry. I used the single unit for decades as that was all I had.

Woodland Scenics make a little pad that clips on an axle and drags behind. I find it a problem as it interferes with a lot of detail under the car (like brake levers) and also catches when backing up.

The CenterLine model uses cut up J-cloth (towels). I'm still on my original supply.

11 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I have a pair like Andymsa's. I tie the material to the drum with thread. The front unit has the pad soaked (lightly) with a track cleaning fluid (Aeromodels, I think) and the second one runs behind it dry. I used the single unit for decades as that was all I had.

Woodland Scenics make a little pad that clips on an axle and drags behind. I find it a problem as it interferes with a lot of detail under the car (like brake levers) and also catches when backing up.

The CenterLine model uses cut up J-cloth (towels). I'm still on my original supply.

I have never thought about wetting it

• RMweb Premium

The original notes from CenterLine say to use GooGone. Later reports say that GG leaves a residue on the rails. 

GooGone is good at removing sticky things like price tag glue and chewing gum in hair.

(GooGone is a citric solution of somehing. Available over here in hardware stores.)