Track cleaning wagons - what do you think? Which works?

ITG

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all who responded. Some suggestions of brands I’d never heard of, so plenty to consider. Seems like the Dapol gets a fairly lukewarm reception, which is why, I guess, you do see a fair number for sale on eBay.

One of the problems is many  trains pick up power from the gauge corner and not the top of the rails,  conversely most cleaners clean the tops of the rails.   I find the Dapol excellent in vacuum cleaner mode, and tha the spirit soaked roller makes the track greasy instead of clean.   I would like to try towing a Triang power bogie with knurled wheels with its wheels spinning backwards as its towed along, maybe just power only one axle!

I have some Peco abrasive block cleaners fitted into long wheelbase wagon chassis.  The cleaner is towed not pushed, the mounting bracket has pegs at both ends working in slots so the one in the direction of travel pulls the block.  Fixed rigidly or pushed the thing just judders and derails.  If you have enough weight on the pick up wheels most of the issues disappear, Hornby Dublo locos slash happily along flooded permanent way where new Bachmann, half the weight with twice the number of pick ups,  splutter to a halt near instantly

Edited by DavidCBroad

On 05/12/2020 at 14:52, Kris said:

This, https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/track-cleaning-coach.html is not very effective, but I've had one for a very long time so it still gets used occasionally on my children layout. 

I also have this wagon, but having seen the mildly abrasive pads, prefer not to use it. Will scratches on the rail harbour dirt?

However, have also dug out my old green Triang Hornby track cleaning car and am just waiting for exhibitions to resume, so as to source suitable finescale wheels.  Is there some question about the use of Methylated Spirit? Something about leaving a deposit on the track?

• RMweb Premium

I opted for Sharge - same methodology as CMX with a tank drip feeding a spring loaded pad that is adjustable for pressure. I converted mine to HOm to run under overhead power on a Swiss based layout. Not brass construction but not the price of a CMX either! Works very well for me. https://www.model-trainstrack-cleaner.co.uk/shop/

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/12/2020 at 10:59, DavidCBroad said:

One of the problems is many  trains pick up power from the gauge corner and not the top of the rails,  conversely most cleaners clean the tops of the rails.   I find the Dapol excellent in vacuum cleaner mode, and tha the spirit soaked roller makes the track greasy instead of clean.   I would like to try towing a Triang power bogie with knurled wheels with its wheels spinning backwards as its towed along, maybe just power only one axle!

When we had the garden railway we had the LGB track cleaning Loco which worked much the same way in as much that it had a pair of abrasive wheels that contra rotated to direction of travel, made the brass track tops lovely and shiney and only needed doing at the start of the season.

I have heard/read before about how good the Dapol wagon is for vacuuming the track, but not so much for cleaning rail surfaces, I have the Tomix 2mm version which worked well on our Japanese layout but was very noisy.

• RMweb Premium
On 09/12/2020 at 10:59, DavidCBroad said:

I would like to try towing a Triang power bogie with knurled wheels with its wheels spinning backwards as its towed along, maybe just power only one axle!

I have some Peco abrasive block cleaners fitted into long wheelbase wagon chassis.  The cleaner is towed not pushed, the mounting bracket has pegs at both ends working in slots so the one in the direction of travel pulls the block. 

The first solution sounds more like a rail grinder, not a rail cleaner.

Anything that is more than faintly abrasive is a no-no for me, as it just creates grooves for muck to stick in.

I gave up using Peco track rubbers years ago and found that I had to do less cleaning as a result.

But: I'm sure it works for some.

• RMweb Gold
On 10/12/2020 at 17:42, doilum said:

Red was the colour that sprang to mind but it is a long time ago and the chemical can't have helped the memory!

Variously done in orangey-red, black, and green.  Possibly 2 shades of green (olive and somewhat lighter).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The BNR uses an adapted Hornby track cleaning wagon with a lead weighted hardboard sled, a bit more lead would help.  The hardboard is attached to the sled with Blutac so can be easily replaced.  The removed parts from the Hornby coach were then used to increase the pressure on the pad of the Triang track cleaning wagon.

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

The Gaugemaster aka Piko arrived today. Even with the cleaning pad in the highest position I struggled to find a loco capable of pushing it. Eventually I used my Kernow Bulleid loco, the heaviest I have. Seemed to do the job. I added IPA to the pad. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My Daughter kindly bought me a Gaugemaster / Piko track cleaning wagon for Christmas and while a quick trial indicates that my Bachmann 9F has enough grunt to move it, I've hesitated to use it yet. The reason is that I have Gaugemaster HF track cleaners in use on my layout and know from experience that the 16Volts constantly output to the track can give quite a jolt if accidently touched. Its intended purpose is to 'burn off' dirt deposits from rails and stock wheels and my concern is that, unless disconnected the HF Cleaners will burn into the cleaning pad on my new wagon. 

If necessary I can wire on /off switches into the circuit so that the HF cleaners can be made temporarily inoperative, while the wagon circulates, but wonder if I really need to.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Brit70053 said:

My Daughter kindly bought me a Gaugemaster / Piko track cleaning wagon for Christmas and while a quick trial indicates that my Bachmann 9F has enough grunt to move it, I've hesitated to use it yet. The reason is that I have Gaugemaster HF track cleaners in use on my layout and know from experience that the 16Volts constantly output to the track can give quite a jolt if accidently touched. Its intended purpose is to 'burn off' dirt deposits from rails and stock wheels and my concern is that, unless disconnected the HF Cleaners will burn into the cleaning pad on my new wagon. 

If necessary I can wire on /off switches into the circuit so that the HF cleaners can be made temporarily inoperative, while the wagon circulates, but wonder if I really need to.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John  

I think that design is supposed to be used “dry” so if worried give the pad a quick continuity test, I’ll wager it shows nothing.

I ordered mine from RoS at the weekend, supposed to arrive tomorrow although I am DCC so no worried there.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/12/2020 at 11:51, Andymsa said:

this sounds very similar to an American product, you don’t actually wet the j-cloth. The cloth goes on the drum so it does not unravel as it turns, the idea is the drum slips very slightly due to its weight. That’s how mine works

6F8BC203-87BA-411A-8AC6-A8D6579A5CAD.jpeg

Two groups I've been in have used those with great success. I think the brand is Centerline. When I was in TMRG, we had two of the first in the UK and it created quite a lot of interest at Warley show on Bath Green Park's unfinished first outing. I later dressed one of those up in a modified Parkside Python CCT body.

I picked up a second-hand one to use on Bournemouth Central but we haven't yet felt a need to run it in traffic so it remains au naturel.

I'll be getting the brake van conversion unit from Lanarkshire Models for my own use and intend to adapt a Dapol SR 4-wheel utility van to disguise it.

John

Edit: Thought I'd better mention all the Centerline cleaner wagons I've used had Kadee sprung trucks. I understand there was/is a cheaper version offered with rigid trucks.

Edited by Dunsignalling
Addition
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/12/2020 at 10:02, 4railsman said:

I'd love to have an effective 00-gauge track cleaning wagon. But my problem is that on my layout, over 90% of my track is 4-rail (London Underground style) with the two power rails raised 1mm above running rail height, i.e. similar to prototype.

If anyone knows of a 00-gauge track cleaning wagon that will work on my layout, please post the details in this thread.

4railsman

I completely sympathise.

My layout needs 4th rail on a pair of running lines & hand cleaning is not an option because the lines disappear into narrow single bore tunnels. There is no way my hand will fit inside.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I completely sympathise.

My layout needs 4th rail on a pair of running lines & hand cleaning is not an option because the lines disappear into narrow single bore tunnels. There is no way my hand will fit inside.

It may have been suggested before but how about the type which uses separate pads, such as (don’t laugh) the Hornby 4 wheel coach, it may be old but it does actually work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

It may have been suggested before but how about the type which uses separate pads, such as (don’t laugh) the Hornby 4 wheel coach, it may be old but it does actually work.

I had a Hornby one many years ago but gave it away. I felt that with fine paper, it smudged the dirt along a little. Coarse paper doesn't stay coarse for very long; it grinds into the first few feet of rail until it gets clogged with dirt...then it is back to smudging the dirt along.

I have also considered dropping the height of the conductor rail to the same as the running rails. I know this is wrong but would it look wrong? I guess I would only really know if I would be happy with it if I tried it.

The conductor rail is also a different colour to running rails; it is a shiny grey colour instead of bright silver...but most NS rail is a gold colour rather than silver anyway.

Anyway, this is wandering the topic. For the running lines, I am happy with my CMX. Expensive it may be but it does a good job.

Another thing which seems to not get the attention it merits is cleaning track under overhead wires.

I had a small depot layout a while back & at a show, many viewers asked me if it was awkward re-railing locos under the wires. I never found this too bad but nobody asked about the awkwardness of cleaning the track, which was much worse, especially around areas where lineside buildings made access even more awkward.

My current layout will eventually be re-built as a 1990 version with OLE. It is in a cutting with buildings, platforms, bridges & tunnels. That is a lot of scenery to get in the way. Cleaning with a block would either involve occasional damage or be so fiddly that I would never bother running the layout, which defeats the object of having one.