If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

Mainline/Bachmann gwr mogul tender.

RobMG

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Did you ever get this Rob, if not let me know, I might still have one, but will need to look.

Rgds.....Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply.  I haven't yet, but as you are in Australia I rather think the shipping would cost a fortune.  I had decided I would scratchbuild one. 

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2020 at 09:23, RobMG said:

Hi Folks,

I am looking for a  Mainline or Bachmann tender for a mogul or Manor. If anyone has one surplus to sell I am interested.

Rob

Hi. Do you have a picture of specifically what you want as I’ve a couple of GWR locomotives in bits that I can check for you tonight? 

GWR Churchward 3500 gallon tender.

They should be ten a penny. But unfortunately people charge a premium for them on eBay as they are useful.

This type.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/606942/bachmann_branchline_31_300z_po04_manor_class_4_6_0_7816_frilsham_manor_in_br_green_livery_limited_edition_for_br/stockdetail.aspx

Often best to try and find a "dead" model and break it for spares. Normally loads at exhibitions, but obviously they haven't been on.

Jason

Hi Jason, 

Yes I know what you mean re prices asked for.   I am working on a Hornby  28XX (new tooling) body and wanted a Churchward 3500 gall tender for it.  Obviously a Hornby tender would be best, but people ask even higher prices for those.  So a Mainline tender will do the job.   

The Mainline tender as fitted to Manor and mogul is actually a good model. it just needs a bit of work.  

I have removed the coal, and  axle boxes on one altered the frames slightly and fitted new axle boxes and springs etc, and it looks as good as any Hornby tender.  

If I found a Manor I would upgrade the whole loco with new chassis, and still be looking for another tender.

The covid and it's effects on exhibitions is a real pain, also we had a good model shop within easy reach from home where I had no end of bargain bits and pieces, but he has closed down due to the virus.

Thank you for your reply,

Rob

On 07/04/2021 at 15:34, ianmacc said:

Hi. Do you have a picture of specifically what you want as I’ve a couple of GWR locomotives in bits that I can check for you tonight? 

I am sorry, I didn't see your reply until just now,  I do have a picture, but I find it such a fiddle trying to post pics here, I gave up ages ago. 

The tender I want is the Churchward  3500 gall type that mainline fitted to their Manor and Mogul. I need one to fit to an early Hall class loco. the first few had the small tender in the 1930s.

The Mainline one is a good basic model and with a little bit of work looks really good.

Rob

The Mainline Bachmann tender supplied with their Mogul and Manor has a scalloped frame, which originated with the 1925 'intermediate' tender. These frames were used on some Churchward 3500 gallon tenders during rebuilds. I haven't seen a pic of a 28xx with such a tender. The Hornby 3500g Churchward has a more traditional frame shape.

Yes. It's one of those things I'm going to have to have a good look at with most of my GWR tender locos. I would think that quite a few have got the wrong type as many of them were just renaming/renumbering jobs when I didn't know any difference and wouldn't have had that information.

Modelling the LMS is easy by comparison. They tended to keep the same type apart from a few exceptions.

Jason

54 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

The Mainline Bachmann tender supplied with their Mogul and Manor has a scalloped frame, which originated with the 1925 'intermediate' tender. These frames were used on some Churchward 3500 gallon tenders during rebuilds. I haven't seen a pic of a 28xx with such a tender. The Hornby 3500g Churchward has a more traditional frame shape.

The last Mainline tender I updated, I cut the axlebox/springs off reshaped the frames, and fitted new cast white                 metal boxes and springs .  It looks really good.

I would love to post pics, but still can't get the hang of re sizing photos to post them.  Usually get my partner to do it, but she is busy wallpapering the living room.   I daren't interupt her !!!!!!!

Rob

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Good mods, Rob. The Mainline springs, boxes and spring shackles are distinctly undernourished.

Yes I will post a picture later, but my life would be in danger if I ask right now <_<