ECoS, DCC Concepts AD2FX and 3 Aspect signal solution

russellwar

Hi everyone 

i am looking for the easiest way to achieve this:

I have a Y point that allows access from fiddleyard to the up and down lines.

I wish to place a 3 aspect signal prior to entry to the fiddle yard.

I am planning to purchase an AD2FX as there are only 2 points on this board.

If the point is set against, signal should naturally show red.

When open it should then change to green. 

As train passes it should then default to red and then run through amber back to green unless the point gets changed again.

My questions: 1:

I assume I would need some form of detector? 

2: Can the ECoS programme this sequence or will it need an additional module.

Thanks to any experts who can help make sense of this

Russell

Simple answer is :-

1. Yes.

2. You will need a module.

Now it might be worth looking to simplify things a bit. Are you simulating a signal that is actually protecting a point? If so it will sit at red until a route is set, and will return to red and stay there when a train passes it. In this case you won't need to display the yellow aspect (especially since you will not be able to send two trains in to the fiddle yard in quick succession!)

Unfortunately your requirement has a conflict in that if you want the signal to sequence to green after the train passes, what happens when you change the point to set it against the signal? It is not prototypical for a signal to go directly from green to red without a train passing - a block signal would not do this, and a signal protecting a point would not do this because a route would have to be set, and then cleared, before the point could change.

• Thanks 1

Got it thanks. The point is actually more or less off scene so I’ve made it too complicated.

In reality thinking about it, the point isn’t there and the 3 aspect is the first one In a series of blocks after leaving the station so the signal doesn’t really need to be linked to the position of the point. If the point is set against it (which want be seen) then in theory it’s just a red as if there is a train in the next block.

19 hours ago, Suzie said:

It is not prototypical for a signal to go directly from green to red without a train passing - a block signal would not do this, and a signal protecting a point would not do this because a route would have to be set, and then cleared, before the point could change.

For the record it can happen where a controlled signal is set for auto working and showing a proceed aspect and the signaller cancels auto working.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do something similar on my layout using a Heathcote Electronics Mas sequencer and a Peco PL 13 switch on the points. The signal cycles normally when a train passes the sensor but if the points are set (you decide which way) the signal stays on red.