Postal Delays

cessna152towser

Yay! My Hatton's trunk shipment sent on 18th November has arrived. I'm not blaming Hatton's. To be honest, Royal Mail Priority Airmail doesn't actually specify whether its high or low priority. I should have asked. One lives and learns.

Today  3 items arrived in the post

4 cheap motors from China sent on the 7th (doing my best to take advantage of Chinese suberised postage, as I could not send an item for much less to China than I paid in total)

1 loco kit sent on the 11th

1 loco kit sent on the 12th

Yesterday I received some items from the EMGS stores sent on Tuesday received on Thursday

I guess postage is good to patchy but not disastrous 

After a more or less complete seizure we have started to get post this week - firstly 3 parcels due last week, then a record and today some letters from December. Everything outstanding is now 'packet' post which presumably unless it has been sent by a tracked service is lowest priority.
Although a minor issue in context with everything else, the frustrating thing is that these packets contain various items for the projects I am trying to do during lockdown - I can't go out, there are no shops or exhibitions to get these in person from that I can legally travel to and now the postal service fails so I can't even get them sent :(

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

After a break of about a month, I bought 3 eBay items last weekend.

One from north of England delivered by Hermes on Wednesday.

One from Peters Spares, Warrington, delivered by Royal Mail yesterday (Thursday).

One from Bradford are postcode, delivered by Royal Mail today (Friday).

Looks like the situation may be easing, outside of the areas referenced in the link posted by DIW  above.

• RMweb Premium

Saturday deliveries around here seem to have been abandoned.  Box outside is usually emptied late morning/lunchtime after the deliveries are done, this morning it was done well before 9 am...

7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Hermes are still charging extra if you require a signature but nobody is signing anything any more.  

Royal Mail are still charging for a 1st class service, how many items arrive the next day. Why not have 1 basic service plus the recorded options ?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Hermes are still charging extra if you require a signature but nobody is signing anything any more.  

Here it seems to be unsigned leave it on the drive and run, signed for put it against front door, take photo and run. 

Useful for a recent mis-delivery as I was able to walk down the road with the picture on my phone until I matched the house. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I don't think it's Covid, as they weren't ringing before all that.

I have some sympathy for delivery drivers who have decided that so many doorbells don't work, so it's not worth the bother.  When visiting houses I don't know I have sometimes noticed that a new doorbell has been installed but they didn't remove the old bellpush - so you don't know which (if any) is working.  And as for blocks of flats, quite often there's half a dozen unlabelled bells!  I like big knockers.  There's a lot to be said for those old fashioned cast iron ones that are loud enough to waken the dead.

Having said that, I've installed a Ring doorbell that you don't need to press - it works by proximity, but that type of bell isn't suitable for all houses. 

Edited by Michael Hodgson

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Having said that, I've installed a Ring doorbell that you don't need to press - it works by proximity, but that type of bell isn't suitable for all houses. 

Ding .

Answer the door

No, It's just another passing cat/dog:D

Edited by melmerby
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, hayfield said:

Royal Mail are still charging for a 1st class service, how many items arrive the next day. Why not have 1 basic service plus the recorded options ?

After no deliveries for nearly 2 weeks the backlog seems to have been cleared. The first delivery of mail included NHS marked envelopes plus those with 1st class stamps, some of which had been sent in December. The next day the 2nd class post arrived. So in this case 1st class meant delivery in 3 weeks, whereas 2nd class meant 3 weeks and one day......

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I don't think it's Covid, as they weren't ringing before all that.

I have some sympathy for delivery drivers who have decided that so many doorbells don't work, so it's not worth the bother.  When visiting houses I don't know I have sometimes noticed that a new doorbell has been installed but they didn't remove the old bellpush - so you don't know which (if any) is working.  And as for blocks of flats, quite often there's half a dozen unlabelled bells!  I like big knockers.  There's a lot to be said for those old fashioned cast iron ones that are loud enough to waken the dead.

Michael

In my area its the delivery drivers for Hermes that are the problem.

Despite being in one of the Royal Mail quoted affected areas our postie has been brilliant. !!

DHL seemed fine, had a delivery last week

But Hermes !!!! 4 deliveries in the past 4 months, 2 were left at wrong addresses. Hermes both times sent photos to prove they delivered the item correctly to my property, trouble is neither were of my front door.  Hermes keep claiming both were delivered correctly to my house, despite both photos having different front doors and nothing like the photos I sent them as proof. Hermes even made the BBC Rip off Brittan program today, with many people suffering exactly the same. Nothing to do with corvid !! just delivery drivers who cannot read addresses properly or cannot be bothered to deliver items and a company who make Ryan Air customer services look good. They should be stripped of their licence to operate

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, hayfield said:

drivers for Hermes that are the problem

I think it's another postcode lottery, because our regular Hermes man is brilliant.  Always cheerful, keeps his distance, nothing's too much trouble, even accepting the occasional outbound package for us.  But on the rare occasions someone else delivers, it's a different story!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I seem to be doing alrightwith RM & Hermes.

A RM package posted in Hounslow Friday afternoon arrived with Yesterday's post

A largish Hermes parcel arrived today, the seller's website Yesterday said "preparing order", it's only come from the next county though (Warwickshire)

• Like 1

On 22/12/2020 at 21:24, J. S. Bach said:

One really only "needs" oxygen, water, food in that order, anything else is just a "want".

How about the catheters my daughter uses? Are they a "want" too? Because they're sent (and repeatedly lost/delivered late) by Royal Mail.  Without going into too much detail without them she's on a quick path to sepsis. 

Things aren't always quite so back and white.

Edited by admiles
  • Friendly/supportive 6