Prodigy DCC01 problems

meatloaf

I have a gaugemaster DCC01 that ive had from new last July 2019. 

Has been working fine, but recently it wont read any locos on the program track. It just comes back with ----. It wont program loco addresses or alter any CV. The link light blinks as it normally does. 

If i program on the main most decoders will change address - a few wont such as the Dapol imperium.

I can also program CVs on the main no problem at all - again i cant get the imperium to change address using CV1 but it will happily program CV3 and 4 accelleration and decelleration.

So it seems theres an issue with the program track part of the prodigy. Ive checked the wiring. Ive obtained the official 2m replacement cable just in case but to no avail.

Ive emailled gaugemaster, but does anyone have any suggestions?  It works fine whilst operating the layout direction -functions - all is ok, just the program track issues

• RMweb Premium

My only thought is that perhaps the wires from the rear plug program outputs to the program track are faulty in some way.  Might be worth checking.

I take it that you have the program track outputs connected to a separate program track. You should of course never connect both main and program track outputs to the same piece of track as they are both live at all times, so the main output will instantly blow the program outputs if joined together - guess how I know.......!

Izzy

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

My only thought is that perhaps the wires from the rear plug program outputs to the program track are faulty in some way.  Might be worth checking.

I take it that you have the program track outputs connected to a separate program track. You should of course never connect both main and program track outputs to the same piece of track as they are both live at all times, so the main output will instantly blow the program outputs if joined together - guess how I know.......!

Izzy

Ill double check the plug but it seemed ok. Only ever had the program track as a peco double straight on a bit of 2x1 wood so only plug it in when needed so deffo never had both main and program connected to same track.

Some system will not let you change address on the main. Some decoders will not change address in the main. So you need both ends to support it.

The thought is that changing the address (which you need to know to program on the main) could cause confusion.

Similarly changing the long address is "difficult" as it involves two CVS, but it's all taken care of by the specs.

• RMweb Premium

Slight tangent to this topic, but I’m scratching around trying to figure this one out....

So I also use the DCC01 as my DCC system - it works fine; generally my locos are fitted with the DCC93 6-pin decoder and I can program their address on main or prog track no problem.

I recently bought a DCC chipped Dapol 86 - it has an Inperium2 [Next18] decoder pre-fitted. I couldn’t change the address from the default ‘3’ to a different value, neither on main, nor on prog track... no worries I thought, that loco can just be the designated ‘3’.... I’ve since bought another couple of Dapol locos with the Imperium2 chip - i have the same problem with them too!

The problem I now have, is that I have three Dapol locos all stuck with an address of ‘3’, which means I can only have one of them on the layout at a time!!! 

So the question is; do I have to do something special for the Imperium2 decoder to change it’s address???!

Any tips gratefully received - thanks :good: !!!

• RMweb Premium

Try POM for setting a new address. Then switch off the power before trying the loco to see if it has taken. Sometimes both the loco/decoder and system have to ‘rest’ after a change such as this. A reset/reboot to clear old memory if you like. Doesn’t happen very often, just with the odd decoder or two, various makes. This is particularly so with a full decoder reset but often with an address change as well, especially if it’s from two to four digit.

Izzy

• 1 month later...

Just as a quick update...

Sent the unit off to gaugemaster just after new year, Spoke to them tonight and they have repaired the unit with a new resistor in the base unit and its due to be shipped back to me in the next few days. 

All at no cost to me despite being almost 6 months out of warranty. Very happy with the service :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It is lovely when companies repair for no charge, even when out of warranty. Hornby repairs my son's Class 31 TTS chip at no cost despite being a year out of warranty. Too often people are quick to slate companies for minor problem, not realising the good things that they do.

Roy