Killinish Pier - oo gauge late 19th Century Scottish

Board joints had dried, so a dry run with the track. Obviously what worked on AnyRail  was too much of a squeeze in real life, so a bit of distilling was in order. Hey it's a Scottish layout, distilling is appropriate :P 

Pier is a bit shorter than I hoped for, but I think a short pier is better than no pier. I think the small 19th century wagons will help visually, and the buildings are small so it shouldn't look too cramped.

I'm going to have to add fiddleyards to operate anything longer than a Hatton's Barclay but I was expecting that.

I just need to trace the key outlines onto the foam and get the low lying areas cut out. I'll probably lay the track before building up the higher areas.

Board.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress this last couple of weeks, but I've got mid level foam glued and the marsh/loch areas cut out. The gradients down will need some refining once the foam hot-wire cutter arrives. Track laying started, but I'd forgotten Peco points don't come with track joiners so had to order those and some cutters for the flex track. I'm going to lay the track before I build the hills at the rear to hopefully make it easier to create a 'cut into the landscape' look.

foam.jpg

• Like 5

7 hours ago, scots region said:

As an inhabitant of the Killin area, I can have a bash at any questions you have at this stage.  

Thanks (please forgive glaring inaccuracies as it progresses :D).  There are only a handful of photos of the line as it appeared in the late 1890's, and not that many from it's LMS days.

Confirming vegetation would be appreciated - photos of the period suggest to me the trees along the line near the station were mixed deciduous, mainly birch, but with the odd oak and ash - does that sound about right?

9 hours ago, ManofKent said:

Thanks (please forgive glaring inaccuracies as it progresses :D).  There are only a handful of photos of the line as it appeared in the late 1890's, and not that many from it's LMS days.

Confirming vegetation would be appreciated - photos of the period suggest to me the trees along the line near the station were mixed deciduous, mainly birch, but with the odd oak and ash - does that sound about right?

Yes, that sounds about right for Breadalbane, in fact the earl of Breadalbane famously forested his lands in a bid to beautify it, so in recent years the forestry commission has sadly gotten its claws into the region.  

• Thanks 1

Afternoon,

I recall you saying on my thread you'd stuggled finding suitable station buildings, you may have seen these I'm not sure but two of the buildings I used on Loch Dochard have appeared on ebay if you wanted to have a go at bashing into Loch Tay. Links below if of use (p.s. it isn't me selling!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Scenecraft-Wooden-Station-Booking-Office-44-136/224309315558?hash=item3439e087e6:g:yh8AAOSwxp1f2R~-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-WOODEN-STATION-BOOKING-OFFICE/174586404570?hash=item28a6291eda:g:Yy8AAOSw0E1e~fEu

Edited by Karl
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Karl,

Much appreciated - they are reasonably close, but I've decided to scratch build.

I've had an attempt at the front panel, and whilst I'm not happy with it proportion and finesse wise, I'm reasonably satisfied that I've learnt enough from it to get it reasonable with another attempt or two!

IMG_20210111_174542.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

19 hours ago, ManofKent said:

Thanks Karl,

Much appreciated - they are reasonably close, but I've decided to scratch build.

I've had an attempt at the front panel, and whilst I'm not happy with it proportion and finesse wise, I'm reasonably satisfied that I've learnt enough from it to get it reasonable with another attempt or two!

IMG_20210111_174542.jpg

No problem at all. You'll have much greater satisfaction from building it yourself I have no doubt. I just don't think I have the patience to scratch build from the ground up. (I'd be quite happy with that you've photographed!)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/01/2021 at 17:52, ManofKent said:

Thanks Karl,

IMG_20210111_174542.jpg

Looks great to me already! Could you tell me what you used for the timber please? I have a madcap scheme to build an engine shed in a similar way. Cheers! 

47 minutes ago, Andrew D said:

Looks great to me already! Could you tell me what you used for the timber please? I have a madcap scheme to build an engine shed in a similar way. Cheers! 

The back is 0.3mm ply (wood and plasticard don't stick easily), the strips are 1mm square mahogany and walnut (Cornwall Model Boats have a good range of timber at reasonable prices, but I suspect any model shop aimed at boat builders will carry timber). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Andrew D said:

I'm still very much learning and that's all very useful to know - thank you! 

It's my first model making in 35 years so I'm a learner too! One think I did find was  investing in a chopper makes working with stripwood much less painful - whilst a sharp knife or razor saw and rule works, it's a very laborious fiddly business cutting lots of pieces to the same length.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...

Great little project! The initial research is always fascinating. I was last in Killin in the late 1960s on a youth hosteling trip with school friends, when we hiked over the hills from Loch Ard to Fortingall! We thought we were the bees knees in our Army & Navy Stores kit! Your scratch built models are lovely... full of character!