Ideal RTR. 00 model to bash a LSWR G6 from

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks needing a G6 tank loco for my Meldon Quarry layout.

I know of and have seen the Alan Gibson kit, not being time rich and a part built WTW no. 5 waiting my attention some day.

I was looking for a suitable model to bash one from anyone any ideas?

I did think of the SECR P class as the cab spectacles and roof shape and tanks/boiler looked right.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/312296/hattons_originals_h4_p_007_secr_p_class_0_6_0t_31027_in_br_black_with_early_emblem/stockdetail.aspx

then I found the wheels were a foot to small so a way smaller engine.

A Fowler 3F perhaps closer driving wheels 4 ft 7in to 4ft 10in on the G6 https://www.hattons.co.uk/540008/bachmann_branchline_32_230_po05_class_3f_fowler_jinty_0_6_0_tank_47483_in_br_black_with_early_emblem_keyhole_san/stockdetail.aspx

lots to fettle there though from roof to cab windows etc etc.

Anyone any ideas?

All feed back welcome.

Cheers

Ade

Its the 0-6-0 tank version of the 02,  0-4-4T so the Kernow body should be a good starting point, though some        one Wills?  did a G6 /02 kit which fitted a Hornby Dublo 0-6-0 chassis  which had completely the wrong wheelbase for the G6.   

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

A Jinty would be about twice the size. The G6 was small but bigger than a P.

Simpler kit than a Gibson one is the South Eastern Finecast kit. It's a pretty basic whitemetal kit.

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Locomotives/Bodyline Locomotive Kits 2.htm

Jason

Thanks Jason I took a look at your link for £45.00 I take it that needs a donor chassis ? Do you know which one it is by any chance?

cheers in advance.

Ade

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

Its the 0-6-0 tank version of the 02,  0-4-4T so the Kernow body should be a good starting point, though some        one Wills?  did a G6 /02 kit which fitted a Hornby Dublo 0-6-0 chassis  which had completely the wrong wheelbase for the G6.   

David thanks had a look there http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/31966/K2104-DJ-Models-0-4-4T-O2-Steam-Locomotive-number-30225

does look spot on whether the chassis and wheel configuration could be modified by a ham fisted bloke is another matter or find a chassis that fits to plonk it on could be a possibility.

85F9A8F7-655F-419B-BBAE-2150DD4F966C.png.eef16d7ccf69a50c125690ec52954b3d.png

Nice photo of it from the Kernow website it is copyrighted so I have mailed them to see if it’s ok to use in this instance as it’s reference and research purposes not for profitable gain. With a link back and the fact I’ve already bought the USA Tank from them + this could be a sale they’ll probably be fine. But if not I’ll take it down.

Cheers again David for the info.

• RMweb Premium

The design of the Kernow O2 doesn't lend itself to be easily modified into an 0-6-0. It would ideally need a new chassis, but the problem then is finding room for a motor inside the body. Captain Kernow described replacing the chassis of a Hatton's 14xx in his blog here, which is a similar design to the O2. Not an easy job.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ade,

I have built three G6 0-6-0T's, two SEF and one Gibson. The Gibson makes up to a lovely model but is time consuming. The two SEF models, both of whuch used a SEF chassis kit, also make a good representation of the prototype and do not take long to build. In my limited experience, (plastic) kit bashing can be time consuming!

A few pics.

The second SEF G6 was built as one of the Meldon Quarry shunters for a friend. 30277 was a 70D loco.

1146675296_IMG_4978(3).JPG.410fb9d76e3293d1c03ede8840ce9e84.JPG

All three, Gibson model not yet been to the weigh bridge!

1818392144_IMG_5030(2).JPG.03303e62c8a1dd27ff38ecbaf9013a83.JPG

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found a drawing here on RM Web which I attach.  The wheelbase looks like 6ft 10" + 7ft 5" ( 25 and a bit mm + just under 30mm in 4mm which is a bit unusual

Hornby Dublo R1 is  26mm + 33mm (32.5mm(?)  6ft 6" + 8ft 3" which puts the rear wheel noticeably too far back even if the front to centre isn't too apparent with the step in the way.  The Motor also sits a long way back into the bunker let alone the cab.  The Triang Jinty is 32mm + 33mm or 8ft + 8ft 3" which is worse, the  Princess is 26mm + 26mm from memory, Triang B12 etc is 28mm+28mm, with drive to the end axle, front on B12, back on A3.   The Hornby Dublo Wrenn Castle is also 28mm + 28mm, OK you won't get a H/D motor in but a Castle chassis with R1 wheels Romford gears and a small modern motor would be my go to solution,   I'm guessing the Terrier is much too short, and the Bachmann Jinty / 1F and 57XX too long, 64XX is better 29mm + 29mm from memory, but still a bit long.  [ Edit]    The Bachmann J72 is 26mm + 28mm wheelbase 6ft 6" + 7ft with 16mm or 4ft wheels it also has a huge ugly motor and split chassis pick up on the old ones, and the new one is beyond many folks budget for carving up 

I wouldn't bother with trying to alter the Kernow to an 0-6-0,  the mechanism is pretty naff with both axles gear driven and floating con rods so driving the back axle would be chalenging to say the least.

Screenshot (99).png

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There's a poorly one on the Hatton's website. A bit expensive for it's condition.

Just really pointing out the chassis that's been used which is the old Hornby Dublo it seems.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/394015/wills_kits_f108_po02_class_g6_0_6_0t_268_in_lswr_green_pre_owned_built_from_white_metal_kit_on_horn/stockdetail.aspx

One problem with most modern chassis is all available space in the body is taken up with the motor, electrics and weight so they aren't really suitable for using for other uses without serious modification.

Jason

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

I found a drawing here on RM Web which I attach.  The wheelbase looks like 6ft 10" + 7ft 5" ( 25 and a bit mm + just under 30mm in 4mm which is a bit unusual

Hornby Dublo R1 is  26mm + 33mm (32.5mm(?)  6ft 6" + 8ft 3" which puts the rear wheel noticeably too far back even if the front to centre isn't too apparent with the step in the way.  The Motor also sits a long way back into the bunker let alone the cab.  The Triang Jinty is 32mm + 33mm or 8ft + 8ft 3" which is worse, the  Princess is 26mm + 26mm from memory, Triang B12 etc is 28mm+28mm, with drive to the end axle, front on B12, back on A3.   The Hornby Dublo Wrenn Castle is also 28mm + 28mm, OK you won't get a H/D motor in but a Castle chassis with R1 wheels Romford gears and a small modern motor would be my go to solution,   I'm guessing the Terrier is much too short, and the Bachmann Jinty / 1F and 57XX too long, 64XX is better 29mm + 29mm from memory, but still a bit long.

I wouldn't bother with trying to alter the Kernow to an 0-6-0,  the mechanism is pretty naff with both axles gear driven and floating con rods so driving the back axle would be chalenging to say the least.

Screenshot (99).png

@DavidCBroadthanks for the research and comprehensive reply by the sound of it an easy option is not there to be had! Unfortunately.

The drawing you have found I came across once but didn’t bookmark it so will now very helpful.

@30368Richard thanks very helpful perhaps I need to look at the SEF version more closely. “ do not take long to build, in my limited experience kit bashing is time consuming” is the kind of sentence that gives one hope!

Cheers all for your reply’s 

Ade

If I remember correctly, there was a Hornby diesel shunter with auto-uncoupling based on a B12 chassis (29mm+29mm) but with Jinty wheels. That is about as close as you will get, but, of course, you will not get the characteristic uneven wheelbase.

• Thanks 1

There was an article about converting the Bachmann J72 to a G6 some years ago somewhere, but it was OO J72 to HO G6, it was pretty good.   I have a set of Bachmann J72  wheels and rods which I hope to use on a ex GWR 1600 pannier, and a quick check with a ruler shows ...  The Bachmann J72 is 26mm + 28mm wheelbase 6ft 6" + 7ft with 16mm or 4ft wheels it also has a huge ugly motor and split chassis pick up on the old ones, and the new one is beyond many folks budget for carving up .   You need 19mm wheels for the G6.

My problem is coupling rods. I can't make them, but I have re drilled chassis so a chassis re drilled to suit the J72 26mm front rod and a 57XX 29mm front rod would probably now be my go to in light of  @ chyperman  's suggestion.  Have fun.

• Thanks 1