EFE Rail Shark Ballast Brake Van

Crepello

I wouldn't hold your breath, I don't think "pending" means anything too exciting in this context for a Rails pre-order and they aren't showing in stock yet.

I am looking forward to getting my two, but I think they are expected to arrive Dec/Jan which I guess means we may still have a bit of a wait.

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Baby shark, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo, doo.

Baby_shark.jpg

That does look very nice indeed, when you see the detail and think about the intricacies of assembly it is easier to understand the £30 plus price-tag. 

Andy, can I ask, was this a review sample shipped ahead of the main batches or are they actually in the UK?

Roy

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Roy L S said:

Andy, can I ask, was this a review sample shipped ahead of the main batches or are they actually in the UK?

It is a review sample but, in this case, I think they're very close to being distributed.

• Thanks 4

Thought I'd compare the NGS Kit with the new EFE RTR.

I'd be happy to run these together in the same train.

The EFE one is missing OLE warnings, the ship's wheel is missing the handles and the ship's wheel is set back further than the NGS one. 

shark 2e.JPG

shark.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The NGS one is missing the stands for the clamps that hold up the plough whilst not ploughing.

The white-metal/etch plough on the NGS one has the edge over the EFE one I think.

The separate handrails on the EFE one are nice, but the moulded edges of the NGS version look finer from a distance.

Score draw I think (although you could have five NGS kits for the price of a single EFE one!)

Steven B

23 minutes ago, Steven B said:

(although you could have five NGS kits for the price of a single EFE one!)

Yes, we baulked at £40 for the Mk2 Coach, some retailers on ebay are selling the Shark for the same amount.

£40 for a 2 axle wagon...we're in new territory! 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Steven B said:

Score draw I think (although you could have five NGS kits for the price of a single EFE one!)

Agreed, as long as you can make one to the same high standard as @alan24 has. I’ve got three on the way (as an eighties modeller I can justify bauxite, olive green and Dutch versions) but I may still try putting my NGS kits together one day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Steven B said:

The NGS one is missing the stands for the clamps that hold up the plough whilst not ploughing.

The white-metal/etch plough on the NGS one has the edge over the EFE one I think.

The separate handrails on the EFE one are nice, but the moulded edges of the NGS version look finer from a distance.

Steven B

Hi

Its possible to update the NGS kit if you are so minded

E78F5A98-8817-48C8-BE3F-66C22F51DFFF.png.ffe967f4b57b5f2a02f17c43a9df1dbe.png2F2577F8-EBC3-423E-AF5C-F1A076D7C93A.png.c32bfd086d195ac2a17808f18b96090e.png

622AA6DB-854D-4B73-AB0C-5A7FEA1155BF.png.3bd86afc679293d88f7e23aa9adf8139.png

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

10 hours ago, Steven B said:

Steven B

Until maybe you compare the underframe detail at which point the EFE one becomes a clear winner (again ignoring the price differential).

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Whatever the merits of the kit, the EFE Shark is a great model. Mine arrived today and I was pleased (and surprised) to find they've included Dapol long buckeyes in the spares bag. Also included are vacuum pipes for the black ones (fitted already to the green one) and complete ploughs for those who don't wish to fit NEM couplings.  I've fitted mine with short Easi-shunts at one end and a short buckeye at the other. They couple neatly to Dogfish and Mermaids. Thanks are certainly due to Dave Jones who made them possible in the first place.  

Edited by Crepello
Spelling mistake

3 hours ago, Steven B said:

I've not seen the under-side of the EFE model but I'd guess it's more than possible to get the NGS model to the same standard.

Steven B.

Probably not!

The NGS kit uses 2 Peco 10ft guards van chassis cut and shut together. 

under.JPG

Edited by alan24
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, alan24 said:

Probably not!

The NGS kit uses 2 Peco 10ft guards van chassis cut and shut together. 

under.JPG

Hi

I would have said possibly as the 2mm SA did a chassis etch which is what I used on mine but it seems to have been discontinued.

F1D5B122-B071-4BD3-AE1C-FF12F2B6E240.jpeg.b5aa140f777a7f5a6dec7e2871d6fadd.jpeg

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
Better picture
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1