Royal train tour announced

sjp23480

• RMweb Gold

It had more rare mileage after Newport last night.

looking at Traksy, I think its still up there.

I think they are secretly branchline, freight line and marshalling yard fans and marking their books as they go.

I think theyve got another lesser visited branch line on their list on the english side of the border too today.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 3

19 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Indeed. I recall a colleague/boss telling me of the time he was working at Cambridge, probably Area Manager,  and had barely half an hour's notice that the Queen's sister would be arriving by car and would need taking care of before boarding a suitable train to London. 

A long time ago in a previous life, I remember stooging around at Shenfield with an oppo waiting for her sis coming in from Liverpool St. Whilst her waiting PPO driver nipped across the road to the offy for a load of whisky, gin and fags... ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, beast66606 said:

The green was for the Shrewsbury line - it's currently between Shrewsbury and Newport so in the dark zone, off maps

If only I had known. I could have got up a bit earlier and waved to it going past my local level crossing.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MyRule1 said:

Oddly although 1Z21 shows up on Traksy around Bath, the only train shown under than head code is a 07:24 Wolverhampton to Euston

The headcode has been blank on Railcam all tour.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

Oddly although 1Z21 shows up on Traksy around Bath, the only train shown under that head code is a 07:24 Wolverhampton to Euston

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody has got wise to people tracking the train on various sites which show stuff like TD information - after all there has been enough of it on here and I'm sure that this is one of the less excitable sights for that sort of thing.   Message there for NR for the future perhaps?

BTW the Royal Train headcode is 1X00; 1Zxx indicates a special train (which is what this one would be anyway).

8 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wouldn't be surprised if somebody has got wise to people tracking the train on various sites which show stuff like TD information - after all there has been enough of it on here and I'm sure that this is one of the less excitable sights for that sort of thing.   Message there for NR for the future perhaps?

BTW the Royal Train headcode is 1X00; 1Zxx indicates a special train (which is what this one would be anyway).

I thought that those sites didn't report publicly the passing or whereabouts of royal trains and nuclear waste ?  I'm not suggesting the two things are connected! 

But with their own dedicated reporting numbers that's not exactly a difficult bit of programming.

On 06/12/2020 at 23:12, jools1959 said:

If a new “Royal Train” was to be commissioned, I’m sure it would be something like TPE’s Mk5’s, and just one loco needed.  I notice now that when the queen travels to Sandringham, it’s by scheduled Great Northern services to Kings Lynn.  Can’t honestly see her standing at the taxi rank though :P.

Well she had their own waiting room at Wolferton, couldn't they create a royal taxi rank or fly the Royal standard on the signpost?  In Holland the royals go by bike ...you could always paint a Boris bike purple.

• Like 1

I managed to catch up with it yesterday on its way to Cardiff. I took a punt having seen it leave Manchester Victoria westbound on the diagrams which luckily came up trumps.

Click on the image for a full description. 

50694791336_262265fdd2_c.jpg67005 - 1Z20 - Warrington Bank Quay by Swifty's Photos, on Flickr 

50694790976_901bd7a8bf_c.jpg67005 - 1Z20 - Warrington Bank Quay by Swifty's Photos, on Flickr

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 69843 said:

Long, long shot, but if it’s first heading to Wales and then back to London today, what would be the chances of running via Didcot? A family member is nearby over there and I’m sure would be interested to see it pass. 

On the way there from Swindon (unless it takes the curve towards Oxford) - tell them to get going !

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

On the way there from Swindon (unless it takes the curve towards Oxford) - tell them to get going !

It did pass I believe, but they were unable to get away from duties where they were for a look (about 20mins out from Didcot). However the input from yourself and adb968008 is very greatly appreciated.

Anyhow, back to enjoying the photos from half a world away!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive been lucky the last two days..

Did much sleuthing with my baker atlas, various media and  websites, my father would definitely have been proud, he trained me well.

I Called it in advance at Edi, Leeds (but not Batley), Manchester, Cardiff, Bristol and Reading..

unfortunately my luck just ran out...

I reckoned on a right turn towards the waterloo lines, a drop towards Redhill and following the VSOE path to London... for me.. that would have been a chance to go see it.. but instead it just took the gwml up slow ! 

c’est la vie, though a half dozen people managed to make use of my amateur sleuthing so I can take heart in knowing i helped their videos.

learned a bit there the few last nights.. Mossend, Healey Mills, Ebbw branch. it took in some enthusiast sites on its way...we just need an enthusiasts tour to replicate some of this.

its been fun, as I said in my first post, Royals dont come to Surrey, Henry 8th didn't treat them very well, I called it right there too :huh:

No idea wheres after this, looks like Wembley yard now.. all the glam sites

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I think the Royals left the train at Reading.

Looks like they are on the bus as the train is heading North and looking suspiciously like it's going to Wolverton

• Agree 1