K17 full brake

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone help with a couple of questions ref full brake diagram K17 clerestory coaches.

I am about to embark on the conversion of a Hornby clerestory brake into a K17 to run with my TPO.   I have photos of the old Trevor Chalton kit and photos of both sides of  1125 (in Russell Apendix 2) a good photo of the end which was shown on here, and a photo of 1128 here https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh1780.htm

in the caption of the photos in Russel it refers to a further image in Russell Vol1.  Would anyone be able to confirm if this is just a photo, or if there is a drawing as well please?   Unfortunately I don’t have much call for vol 1 given other than the K17 and a rebuild of a C15 I picked up At the same time I think these will be the only builds I do from that period.   But before starting to approximate dimensions from the photos, I’d like to double check the existence of a drawing

thanks

rich 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, 

In that case I think I will try and source a copy before making a start on my conversion.  

at the moment I am erring towards modelling 1125 given photos of both sides of the coach in period and a nice mix of panelling and played over panels 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/12/2020 at 23:10, The Fatadder said:

Thanks, 

In that case I think I will try and source a copy before making a start on my conversion.  

at the moment I am erring towards modelling 1125 given photos of both sides of the coach in period and a nice mix of panelling and played over panels 

Might be a bit late but I dont think all of the Russell diagrams are strictly to scale, so doing it from photos and referencing to related era stock may be just as reliable.

I'm looking to do a k41 (might be 40) full brake and think I will scale of from my similar era B set based on the similar guards doors, window sizes etc.

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold

I always take a published drawing with a pinch of salt.  Particularly anything without a clear scale attached to it.

ive had a look at the primed body, it’s ok from a couple of feet away (and in all honesty is probably ‘good enough’ on the layout at normal viewing distances.  But it just looks wrong in photos, so it will need replacing in brass eventually.   However for the moment I’m distracted by getting the goods shed laser cut which will be a real sink on funds 

I do need to get on with the clerestory roof windows and the ends to at least have it finished “for now” 

4ED92841-6355-4D2A-895C-41395E8FA33A.jpeg

DCE30DC3-AE51-4B89-89D0-B5F6492B7B17.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Rich

A tip I had over etching, especially where fine detail was required. Use the thickest material possible and then half etch. That way you get a reasonable strength in the length of the side and a good depth of definition in the detail. I believe your coach will benefit from using etched sides. To my eyes you've lost some detail in the printing / cutting.

Mike