Railway & Modelling Obituaries

David J Hyde R.I.P.

nickwood

• RMweb Gold

Andover Model Railway Club have announced that David Hyde passed away on Sunday after a lengthy battle with Cancer of the liver. David was a true gentleman and an authority on most things Great Western, particulary goods wagons for which he co-authored the title "A History of GWR Goods Wagons".  He was also a splendid modeller and a great supporter of Pendon Museum, Steam Museum and the Great Western Study Group.

Always willing to help anyone who asked for assistance and share his vast knowledge of the GWR, he will be sadly missed by those who knew him.

Edited by nickwood
  • Friendly/supportive 11

I must have mailed this to Andy, moderator, simultaneously with nick wood's post. I have just learned of the death, yesterday, of David Hyde a long-time acquaintance and friend. He died of cancer in Salisbury hospital. David was, for some years a leading light at Pendon, he had an exceptional knowledge of matters Great Western, and he and I shared a passion for the MSWJR and for the Savernake area. Indeed, I had the pleasure of a conducted tour of the railway remains at Savernake back in the 1960s with David and his friend T.B. Sands, who wrote the Oakwood book on the MSWJR, in David's Morris Minor. Embarrassingly, I ended the day by being extremely car-sick! David helped me over the years with numerous articles on GWR - particularly rolling stock. He was responsible for some 4mm scale models of Queen Victoria's Royal Train going to the NRM. David and I worked a deal between the executors of the builder and the NRM to ensure that they stayed in the UK. An incredibly mild-mannered gentleman, one would never have guessed that he had been a career 'cop' serving in the Flying Squad and, I believe, he retired after being injured on duty. I had not seen him for several years, other than, in passing, at the Warley exhibition and we last corresponded over some pictures of Hellandbridge on the Wenford branch that he gave me. The hobby has lost another good and immensely knowledgable friend. (Chris Leigh)

• Friendly/supportive 10

David was a smashing bloke who I had the good fortune to know for over 40 years. Before the battle with cancer he had spent several years caring for his lovely wife Kay as she slowly and tragically succumbed to Alzheimers. In happier times, on one of my visits to Marden, I was treated to a ride in his drop head Austin 7 Pearl – rather more sedate than his usual style of Sweeney inspired driving! He was a stalwart member of the HMRS and the GWSG, and the possessor of an amazing collection of photos and GWR related material. He will be much missed.

Edited by wagonman
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

It was many years since I last met David, but originally knew him through the Savernake project and Staines MRS, as mentioned by Chris above. Through my father we were able to lend him a comprehensive GWR diagram book which formed the basis of the David & Charles  GWR wagon books he was co-author of. I think it reasonable to suggest this was the first comprehensive book about the wagon stock of a larger company.

He certainly influenced me, as a teenager, to take an interest in rolling stock and also to join the HMRS immediately I was old enough to. As Chris says a remarkably courteous man and a stalwart of the HMRS for many years. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Very sad news indeed, David was a fantastic larger than life character who I met many years ago, probably at an exhibition(!) He was a regular visitor to my "Camrail" and then "Larkrail" shows and was always encouraging and positive. Vastly knowledgeable as others have  said and with a wonderful collection of information on the Great Western Railway. A long time collaborator with his friend the late Tony Atkins, between them they have contributed hugely to the published record of the Great Western, especially in the field of freight workings and wagons. He was also a very kind and caring man and was someone who I admired very much.

Too many people seem to be going at the moment, I guess it is something to do with the demographic of our hobby - we should all appreciate each other while we can!

On a more positive note, I am working on a new book for Wild Swan and David had been typically generously in helping me with information and illustrations. Despite this very sad loss the book is going ahead and will in part at least stand as a tribute to David and his passion for and knowledge of the Great Western Railway.

RIP David

Simon Castens

• Friendly/supportive 6