Märklin Fritz Homann Wagon

dave750t

I wonder if anyone can help provide some more information about this HO wagon.

I bought it because I have a family connection with the town of Dissen, where Homann are based but I've no idea of the era of this item of anything else about it.  I assume it's some sort of refrigerated wagon. Any idea what the little tower thing at one end is?

The Märklin catalogue number is 4891.

IMG_20201207_130806.jpg

Edited by dave750t
Uploaded photo

The little tower was intended for a brake-man to ride in, dating from before the days of continuous brakes. There would be several throughout the length of the train; though air-brakes have been virtually universal throughout mainland Europe since WW2, there were several nations that built vehicles so-equipped into the 1960s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The wagon represents a private owner vehicle in use on the DRG network in the 1920s. Fleischmann has also a further Homann van and a Homann tanker in the range which are based on vehicles restored by railfans in Osnabrück. The firm still exists, has about 3,000 employees across Europe making salads and salad dressings.

image.png.22b3dce7eea7871f3b11300b5223e98c.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this car was already running before the DRG period. The date on the Märklin gauge 1 version is 26/11/1906. So it ran in the Prussian period and that is why I ran it in a train with a Prussian locomotive in this video:

Regards

Fred

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1