Liam’s works - painting, weathering, kitbuilding and other odd jobs

Liam

Hi all, thought I’d start a thread where I’ll post my kit builds. With only fairly basic modelling skills I won’t be building any vastly complicated kits but most of what I build will be for club projects. The first two items I shall be working on are a sleeper buffer stop which when finished will look something like this one on my cakebox, and a 21T coal hopper wagon kindly donated to me by @Phil Bullock. Any comments or feedback are most welcome. Cheers, Liam. 

4F058470-BBF5-42B5-820D-148B7C85BA33.jpeg

Edited by Liam
  • Like 7

So last night at the club I made a start on building the sleeper buffer stop. I glued the main parts together but rather frustratingly I hadn’t finished the filing and so it didn’t sit properly, but this was soon addressed. On Thursday I’ll finish the gluing, paint it in sleeper grime and add ballast to the top. 

74AE4566-366F-4CB8-A34B-B1FF1313830B.jpeg

Edited by Liam
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Better get that finished Liam ... postie is on the way with a parcel! 

I’m working at it! But our new layout is still a few years away from its first exhibition, and that’s before you consider the inevitable issues surrounding coronavirus. Nonetheless I’m very grateful for your package which will be the next item to enter the works. 

Edited by Liam

This has just arrived from Abbotswood Works - thank you very much Phil! Also in the package was a Toad which will hopefully be used on a future micro layout. I should be starting on the 21T hopper tonight upon completion of the buffer stop. 

C160DEC1-056D-4347-BC66-F163A4CD680B.jpeg

Edited by Liam

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to take shape - have been rather busy recently but hopefully I’ll be able to squeeze some time in over the lockdown. 

The hopper body isn’t attached to the chassis and was only put on loosely for this photo. I’ve still got the last part to add to the hopper body but gradually the chassis will become more detailed. 

1C159439-CA9B-4999-B10D-3EB73B0700C2.jpeg.4db47a5d67253885e8c08ab3036ade7d.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Coming along nicely......

Thanks Phil! Though I think I’ll go for a mineral wagon, either 21T or 24.5T, for my next kit - those straight sides should make construction a bit easier...

• Liam changed the title to Liam’s works - painting, weathering, kitbuilding and other odd jobs

This was the project at the club on Tuesday night - weathering the Hornby Railroad Mk1 BG I purchased for a tenner at Milton Keynes last year. The weathering has been conducted under the professional tuition of Elliott Cowton, @DutyDruid of this parish. I’ve also added some 3D printed coach ends which were purchased at the Redditch show back in September then duly painted and glued on. 

IMG_8811.jpeg.49d5faf617e9daf61a26a8d142c8485b.jpeg

Once exhibition ready the coach will be part of formations on my own exhibition layout, but hopefully also Barnstaple MRC’s layout Milverton and Phil Bullock’s Abbotswood Junction Mk2. 

• Agree 1