Returning back to modelling the S&C

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

After a long break, change of scales (N to OO) as well as working on my portable Heckington layout set in 2018/19, my interest in the S&C was rejuvenated after I bought a Hornby Clan, 72008.  I know it was based at Carlisle Kingmoor and ran over the S&C, but I was wondering what other steam depot’s in the mid 60’s, would have supplied loco’s to run over the line?

The obvious one (to me) would be Holbeck but I’ve looked through the books, loads of wonderful pictures but apart from a few, most never say where their allocated.  I’m pretty sure that Birkenhead supplied 9f’s for the Anhydrite workings but I’m lost on the others.

Any help would be most welcome.

• Like 2

9F's for the Anhydrite workings mostlycame from Speke Junction, just up the line from Widnes, where the trains went to (USAC - United Sulphuric Acid Corporation).

More info

https://www.cementkilns.co.uk/cement_kiln_widnes.html

Carlisle Kingmoor locos would be regular, as well as locos from other Yorkshire / Lancashire sheds. Springs Branch (Wigan) shed locos were regulars. Some Springs Branch drivers signed the route.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There is Br Database |: https://www.brdatabase.info/    so if you can see the loco no, you can look it up using the 'Quick search' box.

also http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/  which I find useful, because it shows the specific locos on shed along with their allocations, so by checking out a particular shed, the 'foreign' locos can be seen, giving a rough idea where traffic may have originated.

Hope that this helps.

Regards

Ian

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 07/12/2020 at 14:35, APOLLO said:

9F's for the Anhydrite workings mostlycame from Speke Junction, just up the line from Widnes, where the trains went to (USAC - United Sulphuric Acid Corporation).

Carlisle Kingmoor locos would be regular, as well as locos from other Yorkshire / Lancashire sheds. Springs Branch (Wigan) shed locos were regulars. Some Springs Branch drivers signed the route.

In the April 1999 edition of ‘Steam Days’, there’s an article titled “Firing the ‘Long Meg’”, based on an interview with a former Kingmoor fireman, about the working of the anhydrite trains on the northern part of their route, as far as Blea Moor. There are photographs of both southbound loads and northbound empties.

11 9Fs are mentioned, either in the text or in photo captions. 9 are Kingmoor engines. One may have been a Speke Junction engine, but is mentioned as being used in the month in which it was transferred from there to Kingmoor. The only definitely ‘foreign’ 9F is 92239 of York shed, photographed in July 1966.

Engines of other classes mentioned as being used on these trains in the time covered by the article are 8Fs from Newton Heath and Holbeck, and a Kingmoor Britannia(!!).

Edited by pH
Spelling. (Me, not autocorrect!)
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

There is Br Database |: https://www.brdatabase.info/    so if you can see the loco no, you can look it up using the 'Quick search' box.

also http://shedbashuk.blogspot.com/  which I find useful, because it shows the specific locos on shed along with their allocations, so by checking out a particular shed, the 'foreign' locos can be seen, giving a rough idea where traffic may have originated.

Hope that this helps.

Regards

Ian

Thanks Ian, I’m looking through my S&C books and noting the loco, then cross referencing it with the two websites you mentioned.  A bit of a slog but getting there.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Jools, if you go to further down the list of topics in this forum you will find a reference to my database of locos captured in photos on the S&C (which can be downloaded as a spreadsheet) and the rather excellent site put together by Steve Rabone. 

Not sure if this serves your purpose?  It doesn't list the sheds as you originally requested but you can cross reference with the aforementioned sites if you want to take a deeper dive. 

Steve

Edited by sjp23480
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 09/12/2020 at 00:11, pH said:

In the April 1999 edition of ‘Steam Days’, there’s an article titled “Firing the ‘Long Meg’”, based on an interview with a former Kingmoor fireman, about the working of the anhydrite trains on the northern part of their route, as far as Blea Moor. There are photographs of both southbound loads and northbound empties.

11 9Fs are mentioned, either in the text or in photo captions. 9 are Kingmoor engines. One may have been a Speke Junction engine, but is mentioned as being used in the month in which it was transferred from there to Kingmoor. The only definitely ‘foreign’ 9F is 92239 of York shed, photographed in July 1966.

Engines of other classes mentioned as being used on these trains in the time covered by the article are 8Fs from Newton Heath and Holbeck, and a Kingmoor Britannia(!!).

The Long Meg workings were shared between Kingmoor and Widnes and certainly by 1966 crews would swap at Blea Moor. 

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Some further afield with Bescott 9F with mechanical stokers on the Bescott Carlisle freight via Leeds coming to mind.
Also some Tinsley and Healy Mills freights which would be Tinsley and Wakefield, and possibly Mirfield Normanton Royston if steam operated.

Quite a few Yorkshire sheds contributed to the traction available. For example some Jubilee locomotives from Farnley making the occasional trip to Carlisle. 

Also Bolton had trips over the S&C as I have a photo of their 48773 in 67 and other Manchester sheds.

There are also pictures of A1,s on freight which were York based at the time as a totally left field occurrence.

Also I have seen late video by Gavin Morrison of a Crab in autumn 1967 which would probably be Birkenhead based at the time.  

So quite a wide spread to choose from which is one of the things I liked about the S&C back then.

Cheers

Mac

Edited by mac1960
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine who is sadly no longer with us worked as a fireman then passed fireman out of Saltley depot  over the S&C to Carlisle , he said it was the longest freight turn in the country with the same crew.

David transfered from Carlisle Kingmoor to Saltley as promotion up to driving was faster , loco's he mentioned were Crab , Black 5 & 9F of which the mechanical stoker fitted ones had a habit of running short of coal , he said that loco would be serviced at Durranhill shed even though it was closed before the next turn down south .

Stewart .

Edited by Durranhill

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Durranhill said:

A friend of mine who is sadly no longer with us worked as a fireman then passed fireman out of Saltley depot  over the S&C to Carlisle , he said it was the longest freight turn in the country with the same crew.

David transfered from Carlisle Kingmoor to Saltley as promotion up to driving was faster , loco's he mentioned were Crab , Black 5 & 9F of which the mechanical stoker fitted ones had a habit of running short of coal , he said that loco would be serviced at Durranhill shed even though it was closed before the next turn down south .

Stewart .

Believe that Terry Essery famously hand fired one of the stoker fitted 9F's on that turn. 

Jamie