MRJ 281

simon fisher

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/12/2020 at 09:22, Gravy Train said:

Titfield Thunderbolt have announced 11th January.

Pete

- but mine has just arrived so 4 days early! It seems to have a wide range of topics but is let down by the rather unsatisfactory cover photo from  'Drighlington & Adwalton'. It's meant to be a dusk-time photo but I don't think it works -  the illuminated signalbox provides a bit of light, the rest is just gloom. The editor is Paul Karau.

Martin

MRJ281-001.jpg.309e5e12afe5b923f7528314cb0a93e3.jpgMRJ281-002.jpg.861ad3b2086a887be7743c4955998bbd.jpg

Edited by martinT
Scans added
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Issue 281 has indeed landed as Martin notes above.

I agree that the cover photo is a bit on the dark side, perhaps it is meant to reflect the National mood(!?)

The contents are anything but gloomy though, I thought they were an interesting collection of thoughts and ideas that reflect several aspects of just how wonderful a hobby we are so lucky to all share. And we have another Professor in the house too!

John Bennett's letter has generated a welcome re-awakening of the letters page too - so thank you for that John.

My take on 281 is here.

Here's to a better 2021, best wishes to all.

Simon

MRJ 281.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, davegreenly said:

Two New Year gifts in two days! Got my Covid vaccination yesterday and MRJ 281 arrived today. 

Is this an MRJ subs gift or are the NHS putting Journal readers on the priority list? ;)

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, davegreenly said:

I'd love it to be either of these, Andy! Sadly, it's all about survival for over 80 years!

Or over 30, in MRJ's case.

A good issue with plenty of variety and some unusual topics. I saw the Burntisland roundhouse at the last Warley show; it really is rather splendid. More could have been made in the MRJ article of the way it's displayed with a monitor for the webcam and a cheery Scots invitation to "look up here" (I can't type the accent) when there's some interior action to be seen.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Is this an MRJ subs gift or are the NHS putting Journal readers on the priority list? ;)

Sadly neither, Andy. 

It interesting to read the recent postings on Wrights Writes and compare people's views on "mainstream" magazine content with that in MRJ.

• Agree 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

It interesting to read the recent postings on Wrights Writes and compare people's views on "mainstream" magazine content with that in MRJ.

This topic wouldn't be the place for me to give a perspective on that.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Issue 281 has indeed landed as Martin notes above.

I agree that the cover photo is a bit on the dark side, perhaps it is meant to reflect the National mood(!?)

The contents are anything but gloomy though, I thought they were an interesting collection of thoughts and ideas that reflect several aspects of just how wonderful a hobby we are so lucky to all share. And we have another Professor in the house too!

John Bennett's letter has generated a welcome re-awakening of the letters page too - so thank you for that John.

My take on 281 is here.

Here's to a better 2021, best wishes to all.

Simon

MRJ 281.jpg

I rather like the cover photo, it puts me in mind of a murky late afternoon of this season. Rather like the one developing outside my window as I type...

I'll keep an eye open for it in my local purveyor, shouldn't be too difficult to spot!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mrhoppity said:

I think Trevor Potts puts it very nicely when he quote's the late Carl Legg's response to critic's  "Fine - where's yours?"

Doesn’t bear close analysis.

If I think a TV drama is poor, am I required to have been a professional dramatist, screenwriter, actor, costumier, director, producer, prop maker, camera operator, sound engineer or been involved in any of the myriad supporting professions before my opinion has any value? Can I not recognise poorly acted, badly scripted and atrociously directed work by its own nature?

If someone is saying, “You don’t want to do it like that, you want to do it like this...” then it’s fair to ask them how that method worked for them, but if they say, “Have you tried X’s method, as described in YY magazine?” then that’s not unreasonable: it’s a suggestion, an observation.

There is no qualification for being a critic - if there were, what are your credentials for writing the above-quoted remark? But conversely, there is no need to pay attention to what they say. Extending the debate merely implies that credence is given to their point of view, rather than just walking away.

Tim made a (presumably) wry remark about the value of his approach to the hobby. I just laughed when I read it, and moved on: I would have to dig out the relevant copy of MRJ to be reminded of what he said. It’s a shame Mr. Bennett didn’t do likewise, but an even bigger shame that this nonsense of one personal opinion being “better” than someone else’s is being perpetuated further.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Doesn’t bear close analysis.

If I think a TV drama is poor, am I required to have been a professional dramatist, screenwriter, actor, costumier, director, producer, prop maker, camera operator, sound engineer or been involved in any of the myriad supporting professions before my opinion has any value? Can I not recognise poorly acted, badly scripted and atrociously directed work by its own nature?

If someone is saying, “You don’t want to do it like that, you want to do it like this...” then it’s fair to ask them how that method worked for them, but if they say, “Have you tried X’s method, as described in YY magazine?” then that’s not unreasonable: it’s a suggestion, an observation.

There is no qualification for being a critic - if there were, what are your credentials for writing the above-quoted remark? But conversely, there is no need to pay attention to what they say. Extending the debate merely implies that credence is given to their point of view, rather than just walking away.

"You may abuse a tragedy, though you cannot write one. You may scold a carpenter who has made you a bad table, though you cannot make a table. It is not your trade to make tables."

Dr Johnson, quoted by Boswell, on criticism.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Regularity said:

“Interesting”?

You need to get out more, Jol...

The Government has requested that I don't do so at present.

4 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

"You may abuse a tragedy, though you cannot write one. You may scold a carpenter who has made you a bad table, though you cannot make a table. It is not your trade to make tables."

Dr Johnson, quoted by Boswell, on criticism.

It is the way in which a person criticises another's work that can give offence. I am sure we all welcome constructive criticism if offered in the right way. It is the "that's not right", "I wouldn't do it that way", "they've got that wrong", etc. that rankles, especially when said loudly to his mates in front of a layout at a show before walking off.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

It is the way in which a person criticises another's work that can give offence. I am sure we all welcome constructive criticism if offered in the right way. It is the "that's not right", "I wouldn't do it that way", "they've got that wrong", etc. that rankles, especially when said loudly to his mates in front of a layout at a show before walking off.

Its worse at a show when they are on the next door layout for 2 days and never give up...just don't ask...

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2