MRJ 281

simon fisher

On 13/01/2021 at 18:43, Gilbert said:

Its worse at a show when they are on the next door layout for 2 days and never give up...just don't ask...

What is frustrating is sometimes the criticism comes from someone who quite obviously dosent know what they are talking about, to try to impress somebody else with their 'knowledge'.

A couple of years ago, I was at the Cheltenham show with my n gauge layout and one of the trains was a very long mixed freight containing quite  a few unfitted minerals. I was very pleased with the prototypical steady slow speed that the Dapol Western was managing to acheive on this train. Then this chap with a woman in tow comes along and points directly to the Western and loudly proclaims "I remember them engines from the 1970s and they went bl**dy fast. There must be something wrong with that one, they never went that slow....."

Edited by andy stroud
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Now that the old certainties of eight issues per year have been at best interrupted (for quite understandable reasons), I am confused.

MRJ 281 continues the sequence of 2020 page numbers, but is dated 2021. So is this the last of last years, or the first of this years?  Up until now I have bound the magazines in complete year volumes. 

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, David S said:

Now that the old certainties of eight issues per year have been at best interrupted (for quite understandable reasons), I am confused.

MRJ 281 continues the sequence of 2020 page numbers, but is dated 2021. So is this the last of last years, or the first of this years?  Up until now I have bound the magazines in complete year volumes. 

Perhaps the safest course of action is inaction, until 282 appears?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 14/01/2021 at 12:59, CF MRC said:

Indeed some interesting letters.  Never has my use of English been so thoroughly dissected. Must try harder...

Tim

Must be as bad as having your teeth pulled...

• Funny 6

21 hours ago, andy stroud said:

What is frustrating is sometimes the criticism comes from someone who quite obviously dosent know what they are talking about, to try to impress somebody else with their 'knowledge'.

A couple of years ago, I was at the Cheltenham show with my n gauge layout and one of the trains was a very long mixed freight containing quite  a few unfitted minerals. I was very pleased with the prototypical steady slow speed that the Dapol Western was managing to acheive on this train. Then this chap with a woman in tow comes along and points directly to the Western and loudly proclaims "I remember them engines from the 1970s and they went bl**dy fast. There must be something wrong with that one, they never went that slow....."

I believe the modern way of responding to such people is ‘you’re entitled to your opinion but not your facts’. Carry on the excellent work. You have to look very closely at your photos to realise how small everything actually is.

Stephen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Regularity said:

Must be as bad as having your teeth pulled...

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

By what?

One of these?

image.png.72e73c034f80f699bb7f274f00164647.png

A 19th Century "Dental/Tooth Key"...

Say Ahhhhghhhhh....

Edited by Hroth
Emphasis
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Dental Keys were made until relatively recently and used in India. They were a good way of separating the crown from the roots. 

Going back to less painful aspects of life, I have supervised and read dozens of PhDs. It is quite interesting to have ones own use of English under the microscope and I have always been pretty careful in what I write. Jerry wanted a bit of controversy in the article - it clearly delivered on that front. 

Tim

Edited by CF MRC
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Going back some way into this thread, I have watched professional football for almost 70 years.  I was a willing participant in football at a very basic level into my 30s without anything close to success but I sure know when a top class player plays badly.  I'm prepared to criticise a painting in a gallery even though I've never tried to paint.  There is plenty of music that I do not like to hear and will avoid.  There are layouts I don't think much of and plenty of models that I can pass by, even though they are, to others, better than anything I could ever make.  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it just as you are to yours so anyone who tries the "Show us yours" on me will always get short shrift.  I hope, however, that I am not often guilty of speaking from complete ignorance!

Sometimes I feel that some of the threads on RMWeb would be better listed under "Things that make you smile" because of the pretentious content they include.  Perhaps others may guess those to which I refer?

Stan

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 15/01/2021 at 14:31, David S said:

To answer David's question, issue 281 is the first of a planned eight issues to appear during 2021, as per normal.

The 2020 volume will consequently only ever consist of 5 journals, sadly not including a Christmas issue either.

Not a good year.

Simon

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On 13/01/2021 at 18:43, Gilbert said:

Its worse at a show when they are on the next door layout for 2 days and never give up...just don't ask...

Surely the worst is when they say nothing at all and walk away. Or never stop in the first place.

On 15/01/2021 at 12:22, andy stroud said:

If it makes anyone feel better, it is a broad phenomena across many hobbies. My other main hobby is model soldiers and sometimes they are queueing up to moan about facing colours, tank armour, buttons or epaulettes. I have also heard it at craft fairs and, of course as Woody Allen will tell you, at art galleries (although the artist is rarely present to receive the advice). 

It can be to impress a co-viewer, it can be to make a point to a disliked company, or it can be because the critic has nobody else to talk to. 

I have been a critic for nearly forty years. It is a controversial and solitary vocation. It can be done well but that is not easy.

My usual comment is that however bad, almost everything has something good. 

• Friendly/supportive 2