MRJ 281

simon fisher

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, sumo said:

Surely the worst is when they say nothing at all and walk away. Or never stop in the first place.

Sadly when they are within 10m for 2 days it gets a bit wearing...

• Friendly/supportive 1

Indeed, I feel the same about the wee missives that accompanied my issue of MRJ, from Simon. Thanks.

I also save the  backing cards included in the package. Usually seem to be recycled from folders? 

Now, what can I do with these rather nice stiff cards?  Bases for something, I expect?

• RMweb Gold

May I also echo Rob's comments.

A great deal of care and attention on the packaging is always very welcome and considerably better than many other suppliers. I order the latest MRJ from Simon, adding a few back issues onto the order. Reading through these keeps me in reading material until the next issue of MRJ.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just got round to reading Prof Tony White’s superb and evocative article on his model engineering developments over the years. Interesting that he used ‘contrite’ gears in some of his mechanisms, which I expect showed a suitable amount of remorse when running. He probably, more likely, used ‘contrate’ gears. 

Tim

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/01/2021 at 14:14, Not Jeremy said:

National service in Bad Oeynhausen, 1949: W.J. Castens crouches on a roof while his mate sits on the chimney, supporting our now European allies in confronting the Russian threat.

So if anyone thinks I'm daft you can now see where I get it from.....

Fathers Postcard.jpg

They were obviously up against an utterly roofless enemy.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

They were obviously up against an utterly roofless enemy.

2 minutes ago, 2mmMark said:

And just underneath them were the Loftwuffe.

I’m sorry but for those two so called jokes you will be the first up against the wall......

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, CF MRC said:

I have just got round to reading Prof Tony White’s superb and evocative article on his model engineering developments over the years. Interesting that he used ‘contrite’ gears in some of his mechanisms, which I expect showed a suitable amount of remorse when running. He probably, more likely, used ‘contrate’ gears. 

Was he a cockney? They are the ones most likely to pronounce 'contrate' as 'contrite'/

1 hour ago, Budgie said:

Was he a cockney? They are the ones most likely to pronounce 'contrate' as 'contrite'/

Nah, that's more like a norverner. A Londoner wouldn't have pronounced the last 't'.

• RMweb Gold
On 30/01/2021 at 09:39, NHY 581 said:

This personal touch was quite the pick me up

Indeed, for me personally, this year marks 50 years of the smiling personal service, wit and repartee.

And what changes and adventures those 50 years have seen, from walking through Combe Down Tunnel not that many years after closure, memories of the much-lamented Stench Electric Railway and the completely unofficial driving of someone else's 9F 'off shed without a permit', to operating a big roundy-roundy on cardboard baseboards in arctic conditions in the Midlands, various gricing trips ooop t'North and many other japes besides.

Simon's business is now a beacon for all who wish to indulge in quality railway publications, especially currently as an aid to getting through these vexatious times.

Edited by Captain Kernow
A green tea.
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Having sent my (belated) renewal slip and cheque back to the Cygnet address c/o Wild Swan in Bath, I'm now wondering how that gets processed. Does it sit there until someone from Didcot comes down to Bath periodically to deal with such things, or does Simon have some arrangement with Paul Karau to 'act on his behalf?'

Any comments, old chap, please?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Having sent my (belated) renewal slip and cheque back to the Cygnet address c/o Wild Swan in Bath, I'm now wondering how that gets processed. Does it sit there until someone from Didcot comes down to Bath periodically to deal with such things, or does Simon have some arrangement with Paul Karau to 'act on his behalf?'

Perhaps they are forwarded to Didcot on the afternoon mail coach.

Adrian

• Like 1

Wonderful news about that book. I was fortunate to go to play with Aylesbury once in a while, oh so many years ago. I've always thought that nothing like enough notice was taken of this model which used perspective to amazing effect. And it ran very well. Quite unbelievable what could be done with a long narrowish loft space. Geoff was very kind to allow me to have some of his rolling stock prints which are scanned on my Zenfolio site. But then Geoff was simply a very kind man. 

Paul

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2021 at 18:24, Killybegs said:

Simon, do you know what the arrangements are for overseas subscribers. I have not as yet received No. 281 and I don't know who to contact these days.

John

I believe the foreign subs have gone out in the last few days, so it willl hopefully arrive any day now.

Simon

• Thanks 2