Safety Flux. Building O Gauge Online

Shez

For a number of years I have used the "safety flux" sold by "Building O Gauge Online". Though the website never seems to be updated I have never had any problems ordering through it.  Last month I ordered a bottle of flux and some solder. The site took my order via paypal and I got an acknowledgement e mail.  However I have not received my order, and the e mail only replies to an administrator. Can anyone get me in contact with those who supply through this site? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have the same problem. Ordered some flux in September, payment taken, confirmation email received and ....           nothing!   

No response to emails and I can find no sign of a phone number or any way of contacting. I guess it's time to call my credit card company.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mike G said:

The website is back up and the page with the webshop, is working. Dare I chance an order for flux?

Mike

There's no info on the website to suggest there's been any sort of problem, or indeed any updates at all.

It's a good start, but I think I'd be inclined to email first to see if you get some sort of response...

Thinking about it I'd be surprised if there isn't someone on this forum who knows more?

Edited by Nickey Line
Addition

• RMweb Premium

Good spot on the phone number. Tried ringing but the call seems to get terminated even before ringing for me. 

Cheers

Dave

Edited by eldavo

I should preface this by saying I have never used Building O Gauge Online flux but have often been tempted to try it based on hearing good things. Regarding a possible alternative supplier, pulling up the product safety data sheet from the webshop page gives the product name "Soldering Solution Frutti" and googling this led me to https://www.pearsons-glass.co.uk/safety-solder-flux

The solution certainly appears to be a similar colour but again having never used either I can't comment on its effectiveness.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, I.C.L. 11 said:

I should preface this by saying I have never used Building O Gauge Online flux but have often been tempted to try it based on hearing good things. Regarding a possible alternative supplier, pulling up the product safety data sheet from the webshop page gives the product name "Soldering Solution Frutti" and googling this led me to https://www.pearsons-glass.co.uk/safety-solder-flux

The solution certainly appears to be a similar colour but again having never used either I can't comment on its effectiveness.

The last time I bought some it was no longer blue...

20210108_204539.jpg.6d8e9bcc3cba233171a6f5551255cb8b.jpg

...I hope it's the same as I have two bottles! :unsure:

I haven't used it yet as I still have a little of the original blue stuff left.

p.s. Thought I'd better check that I hadn't been sold two bottles of water! All seems okay, it works. ^_^

Edited by Nickey Line
Postscript added...

Thanks for all this information everyone. I will search out the e mail address and phone number as D51 suggests and give it a try.

Love the little picture of the D51 by the way - one of my favourite locos!

I have just spoken with Simon Varnam of Building O Gauge Online. He has asked me to post that he has had a minor stroke that has left him quite debilitated, but is hopeful things will improve in a while.

He cannot source any flux right now due to supply issues. As soon as this changes any orders will be fulfilled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
11 hours ago, polybear said:

Does anyone know if there have been any developments regarding the availability of the flux please?  Thanks.

Simon Varnam has ceased trading due to ill health following two strokes, as has been been stated previously. But as pointed out above above, there is an equivalent available.

David Parkins

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2