Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Ray Hammond

Rail-Online

A second obituary of an elderly acquaintance within a few minutes. As you say a pioneer of getting P4 to work, although I never quite followed how fascinated he was to get signals bouncing ;)

I hope I remember correctly that his day job was insuring commercial aircraft. 

Another very sad passing. 

Paul

• Like 1

Very inspiring modeller, but the last time I spoke to him was when I invited him behind my layout Clutton at the St Albans show in 2013, he was very interested in how the staging roads worked.

• Like 1

In the middle of last year I received a lovely letter from Ray, whom I have known (along with his wife, Iris) for many years.  He wondered if he might purchase two Japanese-built LMS 2-6-0 Crabs back from me?  He had sold them to me some 20 plus years previously.  I was delighted to agree and Tony (Rail-Online) delivered them to Ray.  I had a phone call from Ray and despite his speech difficulties and my hearing problems we had a wonderful few minutes recalling our membership of the 5516 Group - named after the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment, LMS Patriot loco.  Far too many of those who were members* are no longer with us and now Ray has gone.  A sad day, indeed.

Rest in peace, Ray, and keep an eye out for those of us left behind to remember your friendship and who enjoyed observing your modelling skills.

* Brian Rogers, Gerry Arundel, Sid Waite, Don Field come to mind but there are so many others.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

What a sad day......

I joined the North Middlesex MRC in Winchmore Hill back in the early 60’s as a lad and remember Ray well. I was lucky enough to be part of his team that went to Central Hall and recall going to his home in Cuffley? for a rehearsal before the show.

Once I started work we had a large machine shop and I managed to sweet talk the supervisor into making Ray a set of planing jigs for his pointwork. I bumped into Ray again some 50 years later at Alexandra Palace and laughed after he told me he used them for many years.

His Tenshodo? Crab was the first brass loco I had seen. The detail for a young lad brought up on Triang, Hornby and Trix was just unbelievable.

RIP Ray. Thanks for elevating my interest in model railways beyond Hornby and Triang.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Reading this sad news reminds me of the early years of the Scalefour Society and of many others, Ken York etc. It was Ray who devised the actual S4 standards, which Buntingham used, and differed slightly from the standard P4 ones. 

RIP

Izzy

• Like 1