LATEST Bachmann SOUND FITTED 66s

89A

Very pleased with the sound file in these.

ESU V5.0 decoder is fitted.

F2 is now braking as per Zimo. F5 allows holding the loco speed and increasing or decreasing throttle effect as the latest Hattons models. F6 is for coasting with variable speed control.

Sounds are clear and close to prototype.

These are very good value compared to the DCC ready version.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi All,

Numpty alert....

I've recently taken delivery of one of the latest sound fitted Bachmann 66's. Lovely model and very pleased with it (well with how it looks and sounds anyway!) I've put on the track to test and although the sound fires up when flicking through the functions, I cant get the loco to actually move. What am I doing wrong? :lol:

For info the loco as supplied is on address 3.

The controller I'm using to test it is the fairly basic EZ Command Control centre (so naturally the loco's chip has more functions available than the controller does)

Grateful for any help received, having a serious brain fart it would appear!

Chris

• Funny 1

No where near as good as fitting a better speaker, just throw Bachmanns in the bin.

IP2 Speakers are 'Dramatically' better than any factory fitted speaker, the sad thing is for what you are paying for the Bachmann model, to fit these speakers in China would probably cost £2.00 Extra.

Charlie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 14/12/2020 at 13:00, chris37422 said:

Hi All,

Numpty alert....

I've recently taken delivery of one of the latest sound fitted Bachmann 66's. Lovely model and very pleased with it (well with how it looks and sounds anyway!) I've put on the track to test and although the sound fires up when flicking through the functions, I cant get the loco to actually move. What am I doing wrong? :lol:

The controller I'm using to test it is the fairly basic EZ Command Control centre (so naturally the loco's chip has more functions available than the controller does)

Chris

Hi Chris.

I would have a look at the wiring on the circuit board. I've found that since the wires are no longer soldered to the tabs on the circuit board, that sometimes they are not making contact due to the black plastic sleeves not being pushed in properly, or the wire slipping out of the sleeves. 

Stephen 

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Like 1

On 14/12/2020 at 13:00, chris37422 said:

Hi All,

Numpty alert....

Chris

My db one runs like a bag of nails over insulfrog points, it stalls, shorts, lights flicker when passing over the frog. I've today replaced 2 points with electrofrogs and they are much improved, can get it to crawl on speed step 1 over them. I've also ordered a stay alive to see if that helps with my remaining insulfrogs,  don't fancy ripping them all out. My older 66s are generally fine. I have 3 Hattons 66s and they are very jerky at anything upto speed step 10, whereby the Bachmann 66s are silky smooth.  I use an nce power cab.  Might be worth checking the pick ups as I noticed on my new one the centre wheel pick ups weren't touching the wheels. Also noticed whilst on the rolling road if I lifted one end of the loco off the rollers, it stopped running. It also wouldn't run unless it had all the rollers under each axle, take one out, loco stops, bit strange for all wheel pick up.

Have you checked your back to backs?

I remember something similar years ago with a Lima 08 stalling over a short electrofrog Y point when run slowly.

There was some slop between the wheels & rail so twisting the loco a bit got it moving again.

In hindsight, adjusting the back to backs may have helped.

On 22/12/2020 at 05:15, ayrmrg said:

Hi Chris.

I would have a look at the wiring on the circuit board. I've found that since the wires are no longer soldered to the tabs on the circuit board, that sometimes they are not making contact due to the black plastic sleeves not being pushed in properly, or the wire slipping out of the sleeves. 

Stephen 

Thanks Stephen. Took your advice and got it going how I wanted it to. Sadly, once the body was put back on it reverted back. In the end I just took the chip out and put the blanking plate in.  I'm not too bothered about sound at this stage as the layout is still largely under construction. I might revisit one day, although I'd forgotten how much of a faff getting the Bachmann 66 shell off was so maybe not :)

Running ok on DC though.

Thanks again for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...