Hornby Tornado Express train set.

Just a wee thread asking if anyone has one of these train sets
61xspC5NbCL._AC_SX679_.jpg.2ea26d74e0449a65455d661b401d5cd0.jpg

It is my Christmas present from my parents and would love to hear from people who have or have played with one.
How good is the quality on the Tornado?
How good is the quality of the Pullman carriages?
Does it run well?

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, gnairn23 said:

How good is the quality of the Pullman carriages?

The pullman tooling dates from the late 1970s / early 1980s so is relatively basic.

Only 2 types of car were tooled up - a parlour and brake vehicle but nothing with a kitchen to cook food.

They lack the finer details (separately fitted handrails, illuminated table lamps etc) found on Hornbys ‘super detailed’ coaching stock range.

Usually they are found in Hornby’s ‘Railroad’ range or train sets like this to keep costs down.

That said, if you are prepared to overlook their deficiencies and are on a tight budget they certainly can look the part.

• Agree 1

I just think the set seems very good value for money.

The railroad model of the  Tornado locomotive would be about £100 on it's own, so to get two carriages, track, controller etc is brilliant.

I don't currently have any larger steam locomtive models in my collection so this will be a welcome addition indeed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Londontram said:

My son has the locomotive (lives at the other end of the country) is that the one where the rear loco bogie is a false flangless cast lump so it can go round model layout curves?

All current Hornby 4-6-2 locos have a fixed trailing truck with a flangeless wheel that hovers above the rails.  It looks more realistic on the straights, and as on set track curves the back of the loco sticks out anyway, flanges would be completely useless.  Railroad locos don't have them, but main range 4-6-2s come with an extra flanged pair to install so the loco will look better on display, and may also be usable on wider radius curves.

The fixed truck also gives a more prototypical appearance compared to the Triang rear pony truck!

As for the set itself, its a good starter set. The loco is a Railroad model and will perform well, the coaches are Railroad too and perfectably acceptable. 

• Like 2

I think on paper it is a very good value set from what I see and hear.

It's actually the 3rd time I've got a train set for Christmas.

I got the Sentinel train set when I was 10 and then the brilliant Spirit of the North train set at 12

So, 20 years later and its the Tornado.

My childlike excitement is no lesser than when I was 10. 

I'm sure it will be a sweet model.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have pretty much the same set, but with Duke of Gloucester rather than Tornado, that runs 100% fine; you can generally find those basic spec Pullman coaches for around 15 quid so it doesn't cost much to increase the length of your train. Only problem I had was the power connections to the track weren't very robust so I soldered them.

Strange that it only shows 2 coaches, I got this set three years ago in an Argos sale and at that point it came with 3 but not the red re-railer thingy.

Its probably a way of keeping the same price by having less in the box.

It would be interesting to see if the polystyrene insert in the box has space for the 3rd coach.

While I can respect that having only 2 carriages might annoy become but It doesn't bother me.

I very rarely run a large train with many carriages and that's because I only had a very small layout before, 

The Tornado train looks almost perfect to me, as I said I'am happy with finally owning a large steam locomotive model.

The pullman coaches look great in pictures with wee tables and lamps inside the carriage for some nice detail.

I wonder if I would be able to use the Hornby R909 track supports on the oval of track you get with the train set, having a small bridge and then coming back down on the incline.

Or is the oval too small to do this?
I'll give it a try at Christmas anyways.

On 09/12/2020 at 16:59, gnairn23 said:

I think on paper it is a very good value set from what I see and hear.

It's actually the 3rd time I've got a train set for Christmas.

I got the Sentinel train set when I was 10 and then the brilliant Spirit of the North train set at 12

So, 20 years later and its the Tornado.

My childlike excitement is no lesser than when I was 10. 

I'm sure it will be a sweet model.

Can't judge, for Christmas when I was 21 my parents thought I was mad asking for a Radio Controlled Dalek ;)  There is something nice about a Christmas present you can play with, isn't there?

As for specifics, it does seem like a very good value set, and at least adding extra matching Pullmans won't break the bank.  I think they're still reasonable models for the age.

yeah totally.

It will be fun playing with it on Christmas with a nice movie on in the background.

It would be cool though if I could manage to build an incline with the track supports and have a little bridge but I'm thinking the oval track you get with the set won't be big enough to go up to 80mm!

Maybe I could build an incline up to about 40mm and then back down!

• RMweb Gold

A maximum steepness incline of 3% is usually recommended, but 2% is better. The issue arises on curves, because of lateral friction. I suspect you wouldn’t be able to do much of an incline on a train set oval due to the combination of restricted length and sharp curves. And getting the transition from flat to start (bottom)  and finish (top) of incline is also important.

yeah I think I might have to wait until I get home when I can build a larger circular layout on the kitchen floor. That will give me plenty of space to start the incline on the long straight, continue up the curves and then put the bridge at the smaller straight in-between the curves.

It will be a little boring to just have the oval on Christmas Day but it's about enjoying how good the Tornado looks and how nicely it performs.
The dramatic inclines can come later.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Is it my imagination, or where there two versions of Tornado from Hornby?

i.e. the Railroad one (in the train set as here) and a loco-only Super Detailed version?

Or is that wishful thinking and they were they same?

One set of tooling (so they are the same) - but 2 paint jobs.

The one in the main range had full lining out and cab glazing while the 'railroad one' had simplified lining and no glazing IIRC