Usage of ex LNER W1 in BR service.

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I know that the W1 4-6-4 was used regularly by BR on the Leeds - Kings Cross, where it replaced the loco that brought the train from Leeds at Doncaster, but was it ever used on anything else, such as a rail tour or filled in for a failed loco at short notice?

I’ve ordered a Hornby R3844 model of the W1 and though I’m modelling Heckington between 2018 and 2019, I’ve always liked the W1 as I think it was very much in the A4’s shadow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When I travelled behind it it took over what I think was a Newcastle - KX train at Grantham.  We had joined the train at York by the interesting process of the coach we had boarded in advance being shunted from one of the Scarborough bays onto the rear of the train - so I got a trip behind, and in front of, a J72 as well as one behind the W1 (which I cabbed after we h got to KX).   Real rail travel - not today's swish and efficient anodyne experience ;)

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

When I travelled behind it it took over what I think was a Newcastle - KX train at Grantham.  We had joined the train at York by the interesting process of the coach we had boarded in advance being shunted from one of the Scarborough bays onto the rear of the train - so I got a trip behind, and in front of, a J72 as well as one behind the W1 (which I cabbed after we h got to KX).   Real rail travel - not today's swish and efficient anodyne experience ;)

Or today's often less than comfortable seats either, added to air conditioning which is likely too hot or too cold, or just plain suffocating!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Some info here of 60700’s workings which may be of interest:

https://www.kmsrailtech.co.uk/4mm-oo-gauge/3412-lner-rebuilt-class-w1-4-6-4-10000-era-3.html

The loco sometimes ran on services to Cambridge in the early days of nationalisation, as well as lodging turns to Newcastle, as well as to Leeds.

Two thing I never realised until now:

In its original LNER form it was to be named “British Enterprise”.  

And that as BR No. 60700 it was to be named “Pegasus”. The nameplates were cast but never fitted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/12/2020 at 11:19, great central said:

Or today's often less than comfortable seats either, added to air conditioning which is likely too hot or too cold, or just plain suffocating!

Mind you to be honest I don't think there are many trains running on the national network nowadays where you can give the seat cushions a good thump before you sit down and get lost in a cloud of dust for your trouble. ;)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Mind you to be honest I don't think there are many trains running on the national network nowadays where you can give the seat cushions a good thump before you sit down and get lost in a cloud of dust for your trouble. ;)  

Give many of today's train seats a good thump, you're likely to break your wrist:sarcastichand:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5