APCM Bagged Cement van in 4mm scale

macgeordie

Hello Ian,

I started doing full shifts at work this week. First time in seven years. Up until then, work was more like a drop in centre. So, it's been very tiring with not much time for modelling.

Anyhow, I've finished the body of the first van and I have to say, it's gone together beautifully. I'm really enjoying the build. 

Lovely kit. Thanks for producing it.

Bob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Ian

Phew! Making reasonable progress with the 3 wagons

DSC05609.JPG.18e4c9ee4ada4f5790f48026b18cff9c.JPG

Sides on. I did become a little 'unhinged' when the same flew across the room a couple of times.

The design of the kit making the build straightforward so far, thanks. The RSU is proving useful, especially for the overlays. I used a wooden mitre block for attaching the end pieces to the sides of the body shell. I found that easier than holding a square, the aligned parts and the iron.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

A word of warning.

If any one of you kit builders decides to ignore Ian's good advice and solders the vacuum pipes instead of using contact adhesive, make sure you do this before you've attached the printed axleboxes. The axleboxes don't like soldering irons.

Only a minor loss of detail. Could have been worse. Contact adhesive next time.DSCN1715.JPG.e7ba9173d4287b6089898a1ee4ffbf58.JPG

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice job Bob, you've made a really neat job of the door recess rims and the rest of the van is really well made with no visible solder. Well done.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, macgeordie said:

Nice job Bob, you've made a really neat job of the door recess rims and the rest of the van is really well made with no visible solder. Well done.

Ian

Superglue doesn't leave a solder trace!!

Mike.

Hat, coat and running.

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, RBAGE said:

A word of warning.

If any one of you kit builders decides to ignore Ian's good advice and solders the vacuum pipes instead of using contact adhesive, make sure you do this before you've attached the printed axleboxes. The axleboxes don't like soldering irons.

Only a minor loss of detail. Could have been worse. Contact adhesive next time.DSCN1715.JPG.e7ba9173d4287b6089898a1ee4ffbf58.JPG

Bob

Looking great. I guess one done and how many to go?

The rivets you have made look very nicely formed. What method did you use?

Dave

2 hours ago, macgeordie said:

Ian

Ian, the lack of visible solder genuinely down to the kit design.

The door handle recess rims are soldered. It was quite tricky. I might use superglue for the rest.

I'm lead to believe that superglue doesn't leave a solder trail. The Dickens.

• Funny 1

Just now, zr2498 said:

Bob

Looking great. I guess one done and how many to go?

The rivets you have made look very nicely formed. What method did you use?

Dave

Thanks very much. Superglue. Leaves no solder trail. :laugh_mini2:

Thankfully, Ian leaves few rivets/bolt heads to be formed. I used a George Watt rivet press. Fortunately, most of what needs forming a quite bit on the prototype anyway, because I thought what I was producing were quite wide and squat. I've since ordered a drop type machine from London Road Models to see if it will produce something a bit finer.

Until very recently, I was using the point of my finest broach and a small hammer. 

Only five more to go and then I'll see if Ian produces more.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Ian, the lack of visible solder genuinely down to the kit design.

The door handle recess rims are soldered. It was quite tricky. I might use superglue for the rest.

I'm lead to believe that superglue doesn't leave a solder trail. The Dickens.

Bob

I ran solder around the back of the door handle recess rims (using 1mm diam bit), and then fixed via RSU with overlay laid on a flat plate. If you have an RSU?

Dave

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Bob

I ran solder around the back of the door handle recess rims (using 1mm diam bit), and then fixed via RSU with overlay laid on a flat plate. If you have an RSU?

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I have an RSU ,but it's one of  those things that never seems to make it to the workspace.

Bob

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, RBAGE said:

Thanks Dave,

I have an RSU ,but it's one of  those things that never seems to make it to the workspace.

Bob

You need a bigger workspace!

Since re-jigging my workbench and increasing it's size the soldering iron and RSU stack nicely, and jobs I would have managed with the iron, but are better/easier done with the RSU, can now be done without any faffing and unpacking.

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

You need a bigger workspace!

Since re-jigging my workbench and increasing it's size the soldering iron and RSU stack nicely, and jobs I would have managed with the iron, but are better/easier done with the RSU, can now be done without any faffing and unpacking.

Mike.

I'm not the most structured or disciplined of modellers and my workspace generally resembles a battlefield. I do have regular "re-jigging" sessions and it looks smashing until I start work.

The trick will be to get the RSU out of the box, immediately after a re-jig so that fallout from a modelling session will have to arrange itself around the RSU.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

I did have a separate room for painting but it was annexed by the authorities for the purpose of dog grooming. Painting has now been integrated into the general work area. Far too congested.

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 06/03/2021 at 10:01, RBAGE said:

I did have a separate room for painting but it was annexed by the authorities for the purpose of dog grooming. Painting has now been integrated into the general work area. Far too congested.

Maybe I should start a pressure group to see if I can get my paint room back.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MJI said:

What a nice looking kit and as a fan of cement wagon rather annoyed it is not suitable for my area being almost all CPV and PCV hoppers

Rule 1A may apply of course...

• Agree 2

• 3 months later...

Hi Ian, I'm very much enjoying building your cement van for a friend. I've just added the ribs and stuff on the two sides. The etch is beautifully designed and it's a joy to build; a fascinating prototype too. I particularly like the spare bits and pieces included, incredibly useful! Have you considered 7mm versions at all?

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon 

I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying the build, it’s not the easiest model to build but makes up into a nice van. 
It wouldn’t be cost effective to do a 7mm version, every time I have redone a kit in 7mm in the past it has never covered the cost of doing it. The other problem is that the spring and axle box were a special commission from Justin at Rumney Models and I don’t know if they would be available in 7mm scale. 

Ian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...

Hi Ian, I hope all is well. I've almost finished the wagon and enjoyed every minute of it. I've mislaid the bolts to join the chassis and body, are they metricor b.a.?  And do you still have any of your most recent Great Western kits available?

Cheers

Simon

• 2 years later...
On 23/07/2021 at 11:17, macgeordie said:

Hi Simon 

I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying the build, it’s not the easiest model to build but makes up into a nice van. 
It wouldn’t be cost effective to do a 7mm version, every time I have redone a kit in 7mm in the past it has never covered the cost of doing it. The other problem is that the spring and axle box were a special commission from Justin at Rumney Models and I don’t know if they would be available in 7mm scale. 

Ian

Hi Ian,

Just found out about this wagon!

Are you still able to offer this kit, or are you up for a further batch, if not now maybe sometime in the next couple of years. I could be interested in 4 of them?

Also reading this thread, I have the impression you have done/do other 4mm kits. If so, where can I find details? 

Many thanks and kind regards

Paul