To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

More Deutsche Bundesbahn in S Scale

steverabone

• RMweb Premium

I've been working away on stock for my DB layout which as before are built almost entirely from cardboard. First off is a model of the post war bogie "Umbauwagen" which like the six wheel coaches seen in my previous posting about DB models were rebuilt using the frames and bogies from pre-war coaches.

I modified the roof construction slightly to give a better profile to their distinctive shape. This time I used a slightly different method of construction using re-scaled drawings for the coach sides and only the recessed ends and doors came from the pdf kit that I used for the six wheelers. Bogies were built using etchings from British wagon W irons etchings and brass strip. The bogie side frames are from layers of card cut out from diagrams of the real things. The intention is to be impressionistic rather than detailed. 

I now need to build a composite 1st/2nd and a 2nd baggage to make up a typical branch line rake of three coaches. More details can be found here.

http://www.steverabone.com/sscalewebsite/deutsche_bundesbahn_bogie_umbauw.html

img472.jpg.9ada411ad8d501a2a303e80660c681ad.jpg

Another model is one of the numerous cement silo wagons. This uses a re-scaled pdf kit from Albrecht Pirling which does all the hard work of producing the complex shapes of the silos. There are about thirty pieces of card involved in the basic body shape. many of which are internal strengtheners. I use Devcon two part epoxy to add additional strength to the underside of the card as well as wood rot hardener to make the outer surface of the card much stronger.

The chassis uses a modified British 17'6 " chassis etching,  with brass for the handrail, ladders and platforms. Considerable amounts of filler have been used to hide the gaps between the various elements of the body. At the moment the model is unlettered as I haven't sourced suitable transfers yet.

More details can be found by scrolling down this page:

http://www.steverabone.com/sscalewebsite/db_freight_wagons.html

img486.jpg.3093f6a9f8d61d903ee4f0efe5b508f2.jpg

Edited by steverabone
  • Like 7

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Having built the first of potentially three Deutsche Bundesbahn "Umbauwagen" (there were 3 types - 2nd class, 2nd/1st class and a baggage/2nd class) I obviously had to tackle another one and the most useful for my layout is the baggage/2nd. It's built in much the same way as the full 2nd, but strangely proved a little more difficult because of those odd things that can happen when building from cardboard. As usual the photo shows up all those small faults that you don't tend to notice when it's running on the layout.

IMG_6555.thumb.JPG.5fd53c92656147a0caa83fef58265d83.JPG

And then I just had to build the 1st/2nd class coach.

IMG_7898.thumb.JPG.0ba23b2c7cfa287de08dc07819d9ccfe.JPG

Edited by steverabone
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1