C&L Code 131 rail?

martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

I notice from the C&L web site this recent statement, which doesn't make sense:

"I have taken the specification for the code 125 bullhead rail in house and from source original drawings produced scale 7mm drawing of  95LB bullhead rail and supplied this to our rail manufacture who in turn have created matching engineering drawings for new tooling to produce our own in house bullhead rail exclusively to C & L."

But the correct scale size for BS-95R bullhead rail at 7mm/ft scale is CODE 131, not Code 125. Yet Code 125 seems to be universally accepted as the scale size for 0 gauge rail. How did this come about?

BS-95R 95lb/yd bullhead rail is 5.23/32" high. That scales to 3.336mm = 0.1313" = Code 131.

So the question is, what is the size of this new C&L rail? It is still quoted as Code 125 on the C&L ordering page, and in the above statement.

Slaters used to supply Code 131 bullhead rail, and mention that size in their old trackbuilding manual. Unfortunately they now deny all knowledge of it -- even though I remember using it and have a bit left somewhere (I wish I could find it). Their 0 gauge rail is now code 125 the same as everyone else. It's all a bit of a mystery.

Is there anyone here who has purchased C&L 0 gauge rail recently, knows that it's from the new tooling, and can measure it accurately, and report back? Also the width (should be 1.6mm).

Alternatively, who supplies proper Code 131 rail?

Many thanks,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

The main point is that the statement doesn't make sense. "scale 7mm drawing of  95LB bullhead rail" can not be "the specification for the code 125 bullhead rail" because a scale 7mm/ft version of BS-95R bullhead rail would be code 131.

Martin. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, woodyfox said:

Hi Martin, 

I have some i'll measure today with some digital calipers. 

I received it from C&L in September. I assume this is within your timeframe? 

Thanks. It would be good to know the size of that. Is it specifically labelled "code 125"?

However the statement on the web site about new tooling was dated 31st October 2020, so your rail is likely to pre-date it.

cheers,

Martin

Edited by martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, woodyfox said:

Hi Martin, 

Mine measures at. 131mm height and 1.6mm rail top width. 

Cheers

Many thanks. Is that a typo for 0.131" (131mm would be over 5" ! :) )

What size is stated on the label?

cheers,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woodyfox said:

They came loose packed Martin. 

I typed.. 131mm meaning 0.131mm but the predictive text moved the point! 

Hi,

Thanks, but did you mean 0.131 inches?

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

On 11/12/2020 at 07:31, woodyfox said:

Hi Martin, 

I have some i'll measure today with some digital calipers. 

I received it from C&L in September. I assume this is within your timeframe? 

May still be the older stock, though the outer height and width may well be much the same, I think its a more of a better profile of the head and foot.

On 11/12/2020 at 07:33, Hal Nail said:

I took the main point of this statement to be that they are now making their own rail. (I seem to recal it was unavailable at one point)

On that basis the likelihood is it will be sized to fit their chairs!

I think C&L have always owned their own tools, both 4 & 7 mm tools were showing their age so new ones were ordered

On 11/12/2020 at 07:44, martin_wynne said:

The main point is that the statement doesn't make sense. "scale 7mm drawing of  95LB bullhead rail" can not be "the specification for the code 125 bullhead rail" because a scale 7mm/ft version of BS-95R bullhead rail would be code 131.

Martin. 

I think its a case of knowing a little, but not enough

For what ever reason code 125 has been adopted as the standard for 7mm scale, introducing what many would think was a new size may be a step too far with some modellers (many of us are stuck fast in what we believe is correct) plus the code 131 may not fit either the existing ranges of C&L or Exactoscale, certainly Phil has to support his existing customers and the cost of running 2 ranges side by side would be a waste of limited resources

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I give up.

The only solution is to order some of the new rail, measure it myself, and then send it back.

Explaining that I'm are returning code 125 rail because it measures 0.125" is going to be tricky.

But maybe, just maybe, it's an accurate 7mm/ft scale replica of BS-95R section as claimed, and it will be 0.131". 

Martin.

Maybe I'm missing something, and apologies if I am, but didn't the Code 124/5 originate with Peco who basically gave their existing 00 F.B. rail extra height in the web and width in the head i.e. it isn't truly Bullhead in section?  It was a compromise at the time back in the 70's.

A truly Bullhead cross section would, indeed be 'taller' and .131 sounds about right to me.

Ray.

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Marshall5 said:

A truly Bullhead cross section would, indeed be 'taller' and .131 sounds about right to me.

The point is that we did have code 131 bullhead rail. I remember having C&L 0 gauge flexi-track with code 131 bullhead rail, and needing to make an adjustment when connecting it to Peco code 125 flexi. I think I have a bit of it left somewhere, and I'm going to turn my workshop upside-down until I find it -- just to prove that I'm not dreaming.

The Slater's old track manual:

https://www.slatersplastikard.com/publications.php#Section1

specifically refers to their code 131 rail, but when you ask them about it they deny all knowledge, and say they have only ever supplied code 125.

Martin.

Hi Martin,perhaps you will have to send a copy of the track manual and ask for an explanation?

atb

Phil

Edited by 34006

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Explaining that I'm are returning code 125 rail because it measures 0.125" is going to be tricky.

Of course, that’s not an issue - you’re entirely welcome to return an item for any reason whatsoever, and may not be charged for the pleasure, except for a bit of postage.  

• RMweb Gold

Just to be totally pedantic the Peco website lists their bullhead as what they refer to as Code 124. (not 125)

But it's not bullhead but a weird form of flat bottom rail.  

It's certainly not compatible with anything other than their own track making components.