How come some Swiss stations have AG on their names?

Welly

• RMweb Premium

For example this name sign "Muri AG" on this cab ride video https://youtu.be/sJEeJM9_qZI?t=17

I did try to google for an answer but I could not find the right question!

I know that AG in Switzerland is kind of like Ltd in the UK so does that imply that the railway station is a company in it's own right rather than part of the railway system?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Frutigen said:

Usually there’s another station or town of the same name in a different Canton. 

As in Burnham (Bucks) - GWR -  when there was also Burnham-on-Sea, at times just Burnham, in Somerset. S&DJR. There must be a number of other UK examples, although not all duplicates will have a county suffix.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, EmporiaSub said:

AG is the Canton. Aargau.

Similar to Buchs SG is in the Canton of St.Gallen.

Ah! Now I understand! Since I started watching that Swiss cab ride channel, it was bugging me! 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, phil_sutters said:

As in Burnham (Bucks) - GWR -  when there was also Burnham-on-Sea, at times just Burnham, in Somerset. S&DJR. There must be a number of other UK examples, although not all duplicates will have a county suffix.

Without wishing to start a pointless thread on towns with the same name, another example is Ashford (Middlesex) or (Kent) although I did notice on the Mid-Hants a preserved Palvan with a painted restriction 'not in common user return to Ashford (SR) ' - which isn't actually all that helpful, since both are SR destinations - I wonder if its authentic?

Jon

5 hours ago, jonhall said:

Without wishing to start a pointless thread on towns with the same name, another example is Ashford (Middlesex) or (Kent) although I did notice on the Mid-Hants a preserved Palvan with a painted restriction 'not in common user return to Ashford (SR) ' - which isn't actually all that helpful, since both are SR destinations - I wonder if its authentic?

Jon

There were very few sidings at Ashford Middlesex - and for coal unloading. So I doubt that was the destination. Feltham was only one station away and plenty of siding space there and Condemned Palvans from the Weymouth fleet were stored there. 

Paul

6 hours ago, jonhall said:

Jon

Just to join in,Ashford ( Kent ) is known as Ashford International,not that you can get to the Continent from there at the moment,another Station is Gillingham - in Kent or Dorset.

So to help out here are the cantons and their abbreviations 

Zürich (ZH)

Bern / Berne (BE)

Luzern (LU)

Uri (UR)

Schwyz (SZ)

Unterwalden (Obwalden (OW) / Nidwalden (NW))

Glarus (GL)

Zug (ZG)

Freiburg / Fribourg (FR)

Solothurn (SO)

Basel (Basel Stadt (BS)/ Basel Land (BL))

Schaffhausen (SH)

Appenzell (Appenzell Ausserrhoden (AR) / Appenzell Innerrhoden (AI))

Sankt Gallen (SG)

Graubünden (GR)

Aargau (AG)

Thurgau (TG)

Ticino (TI)

Vaud (VD)

Valais / Wallis (VS)

Neuchâtel (NE)

Genève (GE)

Jura (JU)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Travelling around Switzerland can get really complicated if you don't know exactly where you are going, there are for example 4 villages called Aesch, two in ZH, one in BL and one in LU, typically you will find places with the same name in areas where they speak the same language so German French and Italien, I'm not sure if there are any duplicates in the Romansch area simply because it's so small, but 4 villages is not unusual, sometimes one town is made up of multiple villages, Davos is a good example it's actually something like 7 villages strung down the valley, (technically Davos Wolfgang is still separate being on the other side of the lake ) but don't feel too bad, we had a Swiss friend who once drove an hour in the wrong direction to a restaurant because of such confusion.

13 minutes ago, Welly said:

^^^

I like the name Zug for a canton - it's German for Train!

And Bern (the canton and city) gets its name from the bears that used to roam the area, Zug is one of those weird words with multiple meanings, e.g it can also mean procession, pull, swig, platoon and a whole host of other meanings

On 11/12/2020 at 19:42, Welly said:

^^^

I like the name Zug for a canton - it's German for Train!

Even nicer, one of its local stations is called "Zug-Schutzengel", probably my favourite station name anywhere.  

"Schutzengel" means 'guardian angel' - I love the idea that trains have angels watching over their wellbeing... ;-)

PS It also took me years to work out the suffixes, Welly!

Edited by 37201xoIM

• RMweb Premium
On 11/12/2020 at 19:59, DGO said:

And Bern (the canton and city) gets its name from the bears that used to roam the area,

And there were some poor creatures in a bear pit with little in the way of facilities when I visited in the '80s:(

23 hours ago, melmerby said:

And there were some poor creatures in a bear pit with little in the way of facilities when I visited in the '80s:(

The bears are still in Bern but they have an entire riverside to roam in now

• 2 weeks later...

Zug has (or had,it may be different now) the distinction of having more registered companies than it had people. This came about because Zug had one of the lowest corporation taxes in Europe. One company I worked for which hired offshore drilling rigs to the oil companies had all its North Sea based rigs owned by a Zug based company.

• Like 1

Once on the subject of Zug, I’d recommend looking up the different junctions that once were. If you go to map.geo.admin.ch and choose the Zeitreise map, you will find the different alingments over time, along with the provisional terminus at Lucerne Wesemlin.