O gauge inspection Saloon.

birdseyecircus

57 minutes ago, Simon Bendall said:

Presumably its going to be a generic one size fits all tooling then or is Heljan really tooling up the three different types of saloon needed to correctly carry all those liveries?

The launch announcement says:

Heljan has said the model will feature DCC-controlled interior lighting, detailed saloons and LMS or B4 bogies, dependent on era/livery. No fewer than 12 liveries are planned, spanning the LMS, BR and Privatisation eras. 

Paul

I wouldn't be surprised if there were 3 different toolings or they designed it in such a way that they could mix and match parts to make it correct. That seems to be the approach Heljan is taking with the Peaks and Class 47's in OO. They are basically trying to get as much variation out of their tooling as possible.

• Like 1

I think this is fantastic news.  I have wanted an inspection saloon for some time.  Even purchased a kit, but don't have the time to make it.  This solves that issue.

As for types, I'm in the group where if it looks right and has the right number of wheels then I'm happy and will buy it.

Best regards to all.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SirBud said:

I'm in the group where if it looks right...

Isn't everyone?

Where people differ is what they regard as looking right. I suspect, a bit like colour perception, recognising shapes is not a precise science!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roadrails said:

A quick goggle finds Class 25, 26, 27,31,33,37, 40,45,47, 50 73 on them in BLue grey

But there is really only one question, did a Deltic ever do a run with one? Or any other omissions?

I vaguely remember a 17 at Liverpool Street (I think) — though maybe that was an ex-GER inspection saloon. 

Sorry that wasn’t very helpful

Paul

• Like 1

Don't know about a Deltic, but I worked the Newton heath saloon back empty from Chester many years ago. In the tunnel approaching Runcorn East the cl 31 shut down out of fuel, coasted to the box that was just at the end of the platform. The signalman had a a pair of cl37's right behind me, walked back met the locos and we proceeded to my train. I was then pushed up to Warrington onto the down goods right behind another cl 31. Quick couple and uncouple and away I went to Newton Heath. There are on Flickr a couple of shots, again of the NH saloon being worked back to Red Bank as the the first vehicle in a lengthy empty parcels train. I'm sure at least one finished as part of a breakdown train formation as well. 

In one of John Denham's books there's a picture of a single class 20 passing Toton shed, so thats another class to add to the list.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, EmporiaSub said:

If it looks like the top photo, in the blue / grey livery, then that’ll be fine by me.....

But we will have to wait and see how many variations, in style, are produced.

Hattons appear to have more details of the full production. However, whether they will have the correct body style for each, as Clive mentions, remains to be seen,

Paul

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

saw this painted example on the Heljan stand at MIOG yesterday

P1020210.JPG.583e0126c22fd2479457c470b911522b.JPG

quite looks the business, the main 'error' is having the three end windows identical rather than the droplight in the ends to match the 'window/door/window' configuration that they have produced, bu.t a simple matter of adding the droplight later. The roof is held on by a series of magnets along the length of the body to allow population of the various areas. All in all looking very good.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

The first decorated examples are on the Rails and Tower websites today. Reading through the 'Specification' on the Rails site, they are being fitted with three link couplings! I will ponder the other details and see if and which way I might jump.

regards

Mike